Michigan MTTC Test

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HeatherY, Mar 23, 2014.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 23, 2014

Anyone taken the new tests? They were revamped in October. I was flabbergasted by how difficult the math section for the basic test was! Mine was all trig/algebra 2. I thought I did fairly well based on how hard it was, but I didn't pass that section, now waiting to see the broken down score report. Anyone have advice for this new test? I've been out of college for 8 years and getting rusty!

I also need to take the elementary cert. test. I'm brand new to Michigan, and concerned about the social studies section has a lot of local history. It's also been 7 years since I took these tests (in CA) and I'm thinking buying a test prep guide is a good idea. I borrowed the old guide from the library, but that was obviously outdated! Suggestions? Or should I buy the online practice test instead?

(Also, how ridiculous is it that I have to pay hundreds of dollars for their test and they still get to charge $30 for the practice test? And the guides are $40! What a boondoggle for these test companies!)

3. kab164

kab164 Companion

Mar 23, 2014

There is no way to prepare for the social studies test. It was very hard and I was shocked that I passed. The year before I took it, a friend said it was mostly MI history so I reviewed that. My test was mostly questions about the branches of government! It covers SO many subject areas that it's hard to know what to expect. Best of luck!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2014

I'll second that the social studies test is really hard. I took it on the same day as a lot of people in my program. I was the only one that passed out of about 25. I remember walking out of there thinking "That was the first test I ever failed and I have no idea what to do to pass." Luckily, I did pass.

As for the elementary test, the hardest part for me was based on the arts. It has been a while, but I had random pictures and I had to place the time period and style. Yeah. My 1 art class in high school didn't prepare me for that!

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 26, 2014

This isn't making me feel any better! I've ordered a test guide that is more updated that the one I got from the library (maybe I should tell them their 10 copies are severely out of date?) and it should be here tomorrow. Hoping it has some serious insights!

6. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 8, 2014

I took the elementary test and passed today. It really was nothing compared to the "Professional Readiness Exam." I finally got my scores back and I missed the math one by like 5 points. I'm taking that one again in a week or so, you have to wait 60 days to retake the test. I'm currently reviewing the quadratic formula : )

I was extremely surprised that the elementary test had maybe 50% actual teaching questions on it. And no essay questions. Also, there were no MI history questions at all. A couple Canadian geography ones that were more common sense, and one great lakes weather question.

7. Falcon

Falcon New Member

Jun 30, 2014

Hi I've taken the MTTC readiness in math and writing test twice and still have come up short a few points. I passed the reading test the first time though.

Have you found any useful information to help prepare for the writing test? I've gotten a SAT study guide to help but still feel like I could use every point I can to pass.