Michael Jackson's death... (just announced)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Jul 24, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

... is being declared a homicide!!

His doctor (after a search of his home and taking his computer as evidence) is being considered an offical suspect.

3. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 24, 2009

I'm not really that shocked.

Do you think the dr. intentionally did this or do you think its more of a big deal bc its MJ? Think about the other stars who overdosed or had drugs in their system..what about the docs that prescribed them.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

I read where they were searching the home/office of the doc. Sad. I think the doc was just doing whatever he could for MJ. He could have just been going on MJ's orders.

5. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 24, 2009

The doctor could have said no..but that probably would have meant getting fired.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 24, 2009

I think the Dr. continued to give him drugs b/c of the paycheck he was receiving from MJ. MJ was a drug addict and the doctor knowingly gave him his fix. He got drugs that should have only been administered in a hospital.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

The thing here is this was not an overprescribed or misused drug--this was stuff not legal for any use outside of a hospital surgical setting.

The doctors who prescribed things for Ann Nicole Smith and Heath Ledger were investigated closely. There might still be charges into the doctor for Anna Nicole.

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Thank you for clarifying. I missed that part.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

There's a difference between homicide and murder..generally speaking, homicide is the killing of another human being (but there are mitigating circumstances that can influence the charge of homicide. Examples: a car accident, a work accident, etc. You had no intention to kill someone), while murder is CRIMINAL homicide and includes the intent (wish) to kill another human being (they are not only convicted of a homicide, but also the malicious intent to kill). I'm having a difficult time with the 'mitigating' circumstances here- clearly there wasn't an intent to KILL MJ, but there definitely was negligence. The doctor(s) should have known better, should have known that the drugs they were injecting in MJ were for monitored hospital use only but it seems the $$$ hampered their better judgment. Sad, disgusting state of affairs.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I hear that he was ordering medications that are KNOWN to have lethal reactions when used together...and he had a private cellphone...and lots of other things that all sound...squirrelly.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I think that's a jump that shouldn't be made yet.

You don't know as of yet...and there is a LOT of money involved.

The 911 call was delayed...and ... I'm not sure yet.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

TMZ (not that I ever read such a garbagey site :eek:) is reporting that the doctor involved in this apparently had people going to that storage facility to remove boxes of medical records the morning MJ died, hours before he called 911.

This all sounds so fishy.

13. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

Very fishy, molly!

14. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

Note that in some states, intent can be presumed for some situations. For example, some places assume intent to kill if you get behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated.

This may have been such reckless disregard in the doctor's professional capacity that the charges would be more severe than one might ordinarily suppose.

Many states also have multiple categories of criminal homicide as well (usually termed manslaughter). A prosecutor will generally charge the most severe applicable crime, figuring it could be plead down.

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

I would imagine that the fact that this drug must be criminally obtained would have a bearing on any charges that might be filed. The Propofil would have been stolen from somewhere.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

The warrant to search the office and storage of Dr Murray stated that it was an attempt to secure evidence that could lead to the doc being charged with man slaughter.

Below is an article regarding a trusted doctor from the 90's. Says there were 7 or 8 docs giving him meds and that lethal quantities of demerol and propwhatever were found in his body at the autopsy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32124792/ns/entertainment-music/

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

By the way, the storage unit was rented in April and workers were there 6 or 7 times with the last time being the morning BEFORE he died. They don't know whether they were bringing items or taking out.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

They seem to have security footage showing two women taking a couple boxes out. It could all be coincidental. It just seems fishy.

TMZ is trashy as hell, but they usually have their facts straight.

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

Yeah they usually do have their facts right.

20. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

Yes, it certainly could, assuming you could prove that it's outside the bounds of regular professional practice.

(yes, I'm thinking that's a pretty safe bet)

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Yes. I was going to say that my storage place has cameras ALL over the place. If I go into the office they have a number of tvs with four views each.

I always giggle as I am coming and going and wave to the cameras.

This company will have LOTS of video footage. And CONSIDERING how much ...shady stuff...happens at storage places..I wouldn't doubt that they could zoom in and make identifications from those videos as well.

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

Maybe homicide by enabling if that is possible?
    Illegel drug dealers are responsible for deaths of customers.
    That mother had her overweight son taken from her because she was killing him.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 24, 2009

Today must have been the 1st OFFICIAL day of it being declared a homicide because I heard it being suggested about a wk or so ago.

It's also been said a while ago now, that a videotape of his possible death in his bedroom is missing as well as some other suspicious evidence. The dr & maybe someone helping him must have gotten rid of it quickly.

Did they ever say whose voice it was who dialed 911? I find it strange that whoever it was never happened to mentioned that the person he's calling about is Michael Jackson & he sounded too casual about it, as if he didn't care if the paramedics hurried or not. (It wasn't the dr calling because there was a point when the caller asked the dr something in the background).

24. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

I think the guy who called was just a worker in the house. I wonder if he was so calm because he had been dead awhile already? It's just really sad.
    I heard On I think CNN that under CA law you can be tried for manslaughter if you were negligent, like the doctor's care was negligent.

25. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

of all those trashy magazines out there...TMZ seems to be up-to-date with factual presentation.
    since MJ passed away, I have checking their site every now and then because I feel that they know their stuff.

26. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

TMZ has their facts straight because the producer is a lawyer.

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

And now there is the love child. What do you all think of that?

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

well; now...that sure does make sense!

is it true, Lemon?? I heard on E last night about a love child...guess I'll check out tmz.com
    Aha! So Michael's bloodline is going forth!

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

30. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Oh my I am so TMZ hooked, too! I need to go back to work!

31. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

The "boy" looks like the youngest son for sure...
    and It looks like MJ wanted to look like him...some people say he looked like MJ but he looked like the "new" MJ not the "original" MJ...
    all so very crazy!

32. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I haven't followed this very closely, though I was really sad to hear about it, so this is a bit of a surprise to me. Wow.

33. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Ms. I that totally makes sense, because of course his home would be secure!
    WOW!

34. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

I truly believe that the Dr. should be responsible for Michael's death! I feel that he did not work hard enough to save Michael's life (administering CPR on a bed? Huh?), waiting to call paramedics and leaving the scene of the incident. I'm totally sick and devasted by it all. Because I feel that his death could've been prevented. Money is the root of all evil, and this is no different.

35. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

Agree.

36. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Physician's are not suppose to follow the orders of patients when it comes to medication. Patients all the time ask physicians for pain meds and are told no. I've thought from the first moment I heard the details of MJ's death, including the delay in calling 911, there was something fishy.

The police have been treating this as a crime from day 1. Now, MJ was also responsible for his drug use. Nobody forced the drugs down his throat and he fired some of his employees who tried to intervene and went to his family. MJ himself was the one calling around looking for a very dangerous drug. There have been several confirmed reports to the police on that fact.

To be honest, this death is just another senseless celebrity death, along the lines with Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Anna Nicole Smith, and the list could go on and on. It is very difficult for some to handle money and fame. It is also very difficult to listen to advice from employees, whose salaries one pays.

37. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

DT~Normally yes; however, if this doc was getting paid a lot of money by MJ then he might have overlooked ethics.

38. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Oh absolutely! And he should be charged with manslaughter and most likely will be if and when charges are brought. But for years (before this doctor was in the picture) others prescribed various drugs under several aliases. In any industry, there is always going to be someone willing to sell their soul to the devil.

39. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

I agree.

40. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 24, 2009

Actually, the quote is "The love of money is the root of all evil..."

The Bible, Timothy 6:10 (King James Version): For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

But it still applies to this situation.

41. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

Thank you for the correction, but I am aware of the quote from the bible.
    I still say money is the root of all evil, or the love of it (if that matters).,