Michael Jackson???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Jun 25, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

I agree. Elvis was before my time and so I thought it was always so silly that people got work up about it. But now I find myself very freaked out.

I heard he was with his dad. I heard his sister was coming in from Las Vegas. But of course you will hear various stories, so.... But I heard his dad and another person were with him and were the ones that called 911.

2. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

I also heard (have no idea if it's accurate though) that he may have actually died as early at 10a.m. and only called 911 this afternoon.

I hope that isn't the case...... You know with everything so hectic, the news people don't have things straight this early on.

3. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 25, 2009

This is so sad. I am 30 and my parents had his albums and I used to make up dances to his songs. My mom always played his music when we cleaned the house on Saturday's to get us going. I even had a white/silver glove belt that I wore everyday in first grade. The buckle was a little silver shimmery glove. It was the coolest thing!R.I.P. MJ

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 25, 2009

Smalltown - yes it is true we don't know what went on in his heart of hearts. I am suspicious of how he was treated as a child - some of the documentaries indicated women were coming on to him as young as 11 or 12 years old, and he was free to accept at that young age. There was no sense of protecting his innocence. That is one of the things that makes me sad. But you raised a good point and hopefully he did get things right before going to meet his Maker.

I did like some Elvis stuff, but I was pretty young during his era - older siblings who exposed me to that music. But his life gave me the same sense of sadness as did his death. Somehow it seems more tragic to me when someone seems to "have it all" but really, their personal lives are just a mess. It is not a sadness that someone great has died, but a sadness that someone died who never really had their soul filled in this life.

But as stated, I gotta move on to some happier thoughts!!! I am having enough trouble with my own life right now - haha! I tend to take on burdens I don't need to.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

they have opened a homicide investigation.
    news people are speculating it may have something to do with doctors giving drugs..... (like Anna Nicole)

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 25, 2009

I wondered if there was more to the story than just naturally having a heart attack.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

family attorney just did interview blaming doctors and say family was trying to help him get off drugs. so sad.....

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

Def a sad week in Hollywood

9. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 25, 2009

Getting him off drugs? Did they say what drugs he was on?

My eyes and ears are tuned to both CNN and MSNBC and one of the stations said he was working hard with a trainer--I wonder if he was on any kind of steroids.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2009

The Michael Jackson I'm remembering at the moment is the one who blew me away singing ABC with his brothers...yes, I'm that old.:)

Of course, when the horrible mess regarding children came into play; sheesh...I can't even think of that right now. :mad:

The poor guy was strange...my gosh; look what he did to himself. :confused:

But, to each his own.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2009

It's so sad. I wonder what will happen to his kids? Didn't the mother sign away all parental rights?

12. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 25, 2009

They just talked about this on CNN :)

They said that it will probably be a litigation battle. They didn't specify for which kids. 2 were birthed by his ex-wife Debbie Rowe and the last child was with an anonymous surrogate.

I'm still wondering how his kids are white...

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 25, 2009

I am so sad! I know there has been a ton of controversy surrounding him the last few years, but he was truly a great musician and I grew up listening to him. He will be missed.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 25, 2009

When Ed McMahon died my mom immediately "called it" and said we'd better brace for 2 more. When Farrah died and then I head Jackson was in a coma, my heart sunk.

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 25, 2009

I didn't read every single post in this thread, so if this is repeat information I am sorry. On CNN they were saying that Michael was not feeling well last night and a doctor was called in, but MJ was not advised to go to the hospital. Then today he was found unresponsive, I believe they said by his father, who called 911. They tried to revive hiom for almost two hours and he was pronounced dead at 4:30- ish.

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

Actually Michael Jackson was the 4th celeb to die in the last couple weeks--David Caradine, Ed McMahon, Farrah, and now MJ.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

My husband told me about this 30 minutes ago. I saw that he had gone to the hospital but that was it. I am in shock.

His music is a huge part of my memories, this is just devastating. His concerts were amazing. He is pure greatness and there will be no one else like him.

Rest in peace, MJ.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2009

The SC governor will be knocked off the front pages by this...:eek:

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 25, 2009

DITTO!

20. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

This also reminds me of when John Lennon was killed.
    I've always felt sorry for MJ, much as I feel sorry for Brittney Spears and Lindsay Lohan. They have so much....and so very little.

21. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

I woke from a nap to hear the new-WOW! :eek: I am still in shock...I had all his albums- ABC days... my cousin and I was argue over which one of us "liked" him more, LOL....of course I felt bad as his life changed and seemed to just get so out of control...
    I will always remember him from my childhood...for me his better years... RIP MJ

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2009

My sis called to see if I had heard he was at the hospital & I called to tell her it was confirmed he died!!! I'm so sad...he was such a huge part of my childhood music days!!! My sis & I would make up dances & roller skate to his music.

Hopefully now he can rest in peace!!!! Prayers to his fam, friends & fans who loved him.

Tragic end to a tragic life....

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2009

Its such a shame...whether he did bad things or not in his recent years, he was a human being and its sad when anyone dies. In my area, we lost a local sports broadcaster to prostate cancer last week, so the last week has been filled with so much death. Ugh.

I wonder why his doctor was with him when he collapsed...interesting...

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 25, 2009

I'm a little disturbed with this comment, even though you were probably "trying" to be funny... My brother is bi-racial and looks white. He has very few african american qualities. It all about dominant genes...

Could say more but I'm not...

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

I'm really saddened by this news. I will never forget when Thriller came out. We spent weekends at "The Skate" and would gather in the middle when that video came on. Trying to copy the dance moves on roller skates was hard! But so much fun. I loved his music and dance talent. I know he had a hard childhood and wasn't born weird, he was made that way by the circumstances of his childhood. I am sorry he died so young.

26. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

I just heard that Elvis was 42 when he died. I didn't know he was that young. I bet that was very strange for people during that time.

To me, MJ being 50 sounds strange. But it is still so young to die.

and his little kids already don't have a mom and now no dad. I am sure his family will take good care of them, but still.....no parents is hard.

27. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

My husband and I were talking about how today is so surreal to us. Two people from our childhood are gone in one day. They were both such a part of our lives. I have pictures of my "Farrah" hair. And I remember not being allowed to watch the video of "Thriller" because is was so shocking. I didn't see it until I went off to college. It was so tame by todays standards.
    The deaths of these two icons really bring home the fact that we are all vulnerable.

28. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

What a very crazy and VERY sad day. :( It's nuts to think that in one week we lost 3 people I remember clearly from my childhood.

29. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

So sad to find out about Michael Jackson. We do not know about what really went on INSIDE HIS HEAD. Poor guy was so lost, even with all the money and fame he had. He finally can rest, and now some of the tabloids will GUESS and PRINT what sells. (My own opinion)
    My favorite songs by him are "I'm Stuck With the MITM", "Thriller", and of course, "ABC".
    Rebel1

30. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

Finding out about Michael was so weird. I was out having dinner with some of my colleagues and we were talking about Ed McMahon dying and then one of them started talking about Farah Fawcett dying and another one was like "Shut up!! I didn't she knoww she died? You know it always happens in threes." Then her phone rang and we were talking amongst the group while she was on the phone. When she hung up, she was like "That was my husband and he said that Michael Jackson just died". We were like "What?! Michael Jackson died!?" The waiter who was bringing us our check was like "Yeah it's all over the news." We looked at the TV that was on the other side of the booth divider and sure enough MSNBC had their "breaking news" banner up.

It's so sad. He was sooo talented. Regardless of how you feel about Michael the man, you have to respect the talent of Michael the musician. He'll definitely be missed.

31. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 26, 2009

R.I.P. Michael, Farrah, and Ed. May they all be at peace in Heaven.

May Michael use Heaven as his new dancing stage. Moonwalk and all.

32. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 26, 2009

FYI- I wasn't "trying be funny". It was a legitimate question.
    His death--or anybody's isn't a laughing matter.

33. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

I didn't see that comment as rude, and my Kevin is biracial like your brother. Kevin's only characteristic would be his hair, when he lets it get get really full. Even then, it's a very dark blond. Usually he shaves his head, so you really cannot tell at all. At least, I don't think you can.

34. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

Two students at a former school were biracial. The older girl had predominantely Caucasian features and very light skin (like Becky's Kevin, her hair was the only that was - for lack of a better word - obviously African American); the younger girl had predominately African American features and darker skin. They had the same parents. It's all in the toss-up of the gene pool.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2009

Can I just say sadly I'm enjoying that MTV is back to Music for awhile!!! I have the TV on switching between Mike's songs!!! Even my lil ones are liking his music, so sad this is the way they had to see & hear it!!! But it's fun for me to watch them watch MJ dance, it's like looking in a mirror when I first saw him dance!!! LOL!!!

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2009

They said that he has his own private physician & that he lives w/ him, which is no surprise since he's had his share of health problems.

They also just said he had a shot of demoral before he died, which is a narcotic pain medicine used to treat moderate to severe pain. so they shall soon find out the cause of death

My mom looked up yesterday that he had skin cancer. Never heard that one, but possibly.

So many channels are showing about him, I don't know which channel to watch. I want to watch them all to see different perspectives.

37. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

I chuckled when I read this; my kids are biracial and so are my 3 nieces and nephews.
    When my neighbor saw my nephew, she was shocked that he was so white (no, I didn't take offence; cuz she was really confused and not being racist) because her own grandchildren are also biracial and are darker than my nephew (and nieces).

I'm sure others will take offence at Tiki's statement, but I'm not going to...she was just taken aback and spoke her mind; I don't think she's being racist or anything like that...are you Tiki? Just kidding. :)

Now, let's be honest...I hadn't seen Michael Jackson's kids before and I, too, was a bit surprised (I guess more curious) when I saw them...and I am not racist and I am the mother of biracial children! :D

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2009

The news just said that there's 100+ songs that he recorded that the public never knew about. It was said that the songs had been kept private because they were meant for his kids. But now, they'll probably become public.

Also, they may open Neverland Ranch to be a tourist attraction.

39. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2009

Neverland as a tourist attraction - I don't get.
    And I would hate to think he recorded songs for kids that they'd be put out.

And we call him deranged? That is deranged. Maybe we can begin to understand why he was so messed up. Even in death he is just a product, not a person.

So sad.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2009

Well, they opened Elvis' Graceland a tourist attraction. BTW, people are saying that MJ's death is bigger than when Elvis died...not that I care either way. MJ was more popular worldwide, so that's not surprising.