Michael Jackson - This Is It

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Oct 31, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 31, 2009

Just saw the movie. I hadn't originally planned to see the movie. Then thought I might see it when it came out on video or on TV. But after so many great reviews i decided to see it at the theaters this morning.

WOW!!!!!

If i hadn't been a Michael Jackson fan before (not sure i would call myself a fan of many recording artists at all-though i like the work of some over others), I am DEFINITELY a fan now.

You watch this and you realize what a musical/choreographic/showman genius this guy was. Having been in those three performing arenas (music, dance, and entertainment) for many years...I am just in AWE of what I saw in this film.

Some said...he was surrounded-and that it showed in the film- by "yes" people. Hmmm. Well maybe in his life he was..no, I'm sure he was. but it's different here. Here these people were in the presense of someone who had true vision beyond many who they may have ever observed or worked with before. You see the dancers going out to the audience area when they weren't on stage and cheering wildly. Were they kissing butt? No, I think they were just in amazement seeing this guy perform. And realizing that this -all those INCREDIBLE moves - were just IN this man. (I think it's like if I were in the presense of Mozart...and you are given a little snapshot as to all the incredible ideas that are going on in his head...the reaction would be simple gaga excitement and astonishment.)

Example: they will show him rehearsing the same song a few different times (split screen) and you see that the moves he does are what he is feeling at THAT moment. Different from the next time he performs the song...and you think...you mean what he did before, those outstanding moves were not written down, planned, and exercised/practiced over and over?

They show him talking to dancers and musicians...using musician speak - which is nonsense syllables and sentence fragments- used by performers who can't even DESCRIBE a feeling inside that they relate to that musical moment. Just a gut reaction...yet other dancers/musicians "get it" and will say, "Yes, I see it". I don't know other fields where that happens..and I was so touched to see it happening with professionals of THIS level again. (Side note: there was a small segment on Dancing with the Stars where Kelly Osborne said..."It drives me crazy when dancers go 'uhhh', 'pow', 'sssssssst' when they are dancing. I hate it!" Well - that shows you aren't a dancer at heart. Those who ARE - know it. And even in those gutteral vocalings..they are explaining what pages and pages of words can't. They are speaking from the soul of music.)

The director of his tour (the tour that sadly never will be) and this movie is/was Kenny Ortega. This was the same guy who actually did all of the High School Musical films (and I was surprised to learn he also choreographed the original Dirty Dancing movie). But here he is working with adult professionals..and the results are INCREDIBLE (have I used that word before)? Yes, he DOES seem to be OVER THE TOP praising MJ - but that's part his style of direction, and part KNOWING that you are directing a director. (Also-as a side note-you see how a concert tour is put together...and every inch is amazing. There is a brief segment that is devoted to the special effects/pyrotectics...and it really blows you away with only THAT aspect of the project.)

Michael was less than one year older than me. So in following his career he WAS always my age. When he was in the Jackson 5, I used to think how COOL that a little kid is DOING this sort of stuff. When he was in his teen-disco stage..so was I. I LOVED his dance music. When he hit the Thriller/Billie Jean/Bad stage, I was ALSO a young adult and thought he was as hip as they come. Later with Smooth Criminal...I was in that "too smooth for words" stage in my life. Watching this movie..it brought back SO many memories. There were even a number of songs that i FORGOT had been written/performed by Michael - and I started to realize that - He was the soundtrack of SO MUCH of my life. I can't tell you the number of times I whisper-sang along and though I was twitch-dancing in my seat - I TRULY wanted to get up and dance in the aisles.

When the movie was over..I immediately wanted to see it again. To hold onto artistry that we will no longer have the enjoyment of.

Note: If you think that you are going to hear MJ at his vocal best..you'll be disappointed. He DOES sing-and often times you hold onto those scenes knowing this is the last tidbits the world will have of this master musician... but he will say at times that he is holding back for the actual concert-which is understandable. At one point the crew is out in the audience area pleading with him to let loose...and he says.. "don't do that to me". ANd you want to plead too. You know that it's right under the surface and you want the dam to break and the mastery to wash over you.

The film is only suppose to be out for 2 weeks (who knows) but if that is it on the big screen-and you don't make it (fan or not) you will have missed something great.

Would love to hear what others (who saw the film) have to say. If you think...I'm not a fan so much that I would take the time to see this...I dare you to watch it and NOT come out of there without being a fan.

Lastly. I know all the commentary on MJ's life and his supposed alleged past. THIS thread is not about that. THIS is about the film.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

I very rarely go to the theatre--I haven't been in a couple of years with the exception of a school trip--but I think I may go see this. If not at a theatre, certainly at home. Thanks for posting.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

I want to see this...thanks for your review!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 31, 2009

Thanks for your personal review McKennaL. I loved MJ and would love to see this movie.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2009

Thanks for posting. I may not watch this in the theatre, but I'll watch on DVD.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

I just can't watch it. His face creeps me out, and I don't like creepy movies.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2009

I have been thinking of seeing it. My children, little theater dancers themselves, have fallen in love with the skill of MJ. They want to go see it. McKennal------what made it PG13? Was there drugs? They are quite small----so I needed to make sure it was safe-ish. They are aquainted w/foul language and the occasional kissing scene----but drug scenes no.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

Hmmmm...

The only thing I can think of is that they showed a few aieral acrobats (like cirque de solel) and one had a lot of butt cheek showing. You see it from the side - so you don't see the thong that she obviously would be wearing. I don't remember any foul language. NO drugs or alcohol. Maybe not even smoking (come to think of it...I don't think MJ would have allowed smoke near him - with his quirks).

The ONLY thing I could have thought of was the butt cheek...and maybe the dancing with the crotch-tugs...which if you know MJ's style - you have to expect. There is a funny comment about that move from a dance instructor in the movie. *no spoilers*

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

I remember hearing on the radio an explanation of the PG-13 rating... it's due to the excessive crotch-grabbing as well as the Thriller part, which may be scary for young children.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

oh... perhaps the thriller part might be scarey... but no more than the video thriller.

(sorry about that)

the crotch-tug. You have to know that's in there. If you like MJ's stuff - then you know the extent of it.

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

Awesome review of the movie, couldn't have said it better myself!! :) Thanks.