Metformin/Glucophage Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, May 10, 2015.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 10, 2015

I'm assuming someone on the boards has to take Glucophage for whatever reason.
    I just started taking it on May 1st because my PCOS is causing me to be insulin resistant.
    I'm on 500 mg. My doctor had me take 1 pill in the evening for a week, then bump it to two, and next week I will be up to three. The first week, I didn't necessarily notice any stomach issues. I have been overly tired all week and falling asleep in the afternoons. On Friday, I took my first pill in the morning. My stomach was a mess all day. Today as well. I know that nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and other stomach issues are common.

My question- does it go away/get better?
    I'm all for it allowing me to lose the weight I've packed on over the last few years (thanks to my PCOS), but I don't necessarily want to be miserable all day every day!

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 10, 2015

I had the same issues. I had to cut back.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 10, 2015

I used to take it for PCOS. Emphasis on the "used to". The stomach issues never improved, not for the year that I was on it. I couldn't handle it anymore so I stopped taking it.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 10, 2015

I took it for a few months. I already had stomach issues from having my gall bladder removed, so I didn't notice a difference there. However, my kidney function dropped while I was in it, so I was taken off of it.

I had been misdiagnosed with PCOS. I was actually a Type II diabetic. Thankfully I was able to normalize my A1C level with only diet.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 10, 2015

It got better for me. The first month or so was the pits though. Make sure you are eating some protein with your breakfast. Adding some protein helped the most. I'm not a big breakfast eater and don't want to eat in the morning so finding foods I that were appetizing took me awhile. I usually eat a piece of fruit before getting dressed and then some Greek yogurt right before leaving for work and then take my meds.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 10, 2015

I changed to the extended release type and that helped a lot. I take 1000 mgs in the morning and 1000 mgs in the evening. Of course, always with food.

8. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

May 10, 2015

My mother had to stop taking it. She couldn't eat because of all the stomache issues.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2015

Uggh. Thanks all. It doesn't sound too promising.

I worked as a pharmacy tech for a while in college, so I know it is a commonly prescribed medication. I can't imagine all of those people being miserable.

Today (day 4 of two-a-day) was better than the last few. (Not good, but better.) So maybe there is hope for me yet.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2015

Thanks for the tip. I'm not a big breakfast eater and I'm not really a big protein eater in general :)blush:). I don't eat much meat, I hate peanut butter and all nuts besides cashews, I don't like yogurt..... I don't have time to fry an egg in the morning. I'll try to think of something and try that.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 11, 2015

Make some mini quiches in muffin tins and you can microwavevtherm in the morning. Has your doctor even brought up the fact that you can probably avoid the medication by going on a low carb diet?

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 11, 2015

Do you like egg salad or tuna salad? I often have a sandwich on rye or wheat for breakfast. It keeps me full all morning.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2015

No to the quiche, egg salad, tuna salad, etc...

I will probably pick up some cashews to munch on in the morning until I can figure something else out. Or summer comes and I can eat at home. At least to see if it helps any.

I'm (despite trying new things all the time) a super picky eater. Mayo makes me want to puke. So most salads are out due to being mayo based.
    I pretty much hate all sauces/gravies. Tomato based- spaghetti/marinara, ketchup, and BBQ sauce- are pretty much the only ones I will touch.
    If it is white, I probably won't eat it. Mayo, milk, cream cheese, ranch, cottage cheese, sour cream, rice, etc...
    I force myself to eat yogurt some times. I really can't stand it, but I don't always eat a lot of dairy.

I'm pretty good about eating veggies (not all kinds, but many), and I can't think of a fruit I don't like. (Scratch that- grapefruit) Meat is mostly chicken breast and fish. No shell fish. No pork. No steak, but I do eat beef when it is in something. Like today I had lasagna. Dairy- not great. Cheese. Egg whites. I can go days without dairy.

Basically, I exist on grilled chicken, some veggies, fruit, pasta, tacos, and cereal :lol: I'm only slightly exaggerating.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2015

Wow. My blood sugar might be really good if I ate like that.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 12, 2015

The problem is the bread and pasta. You need to find substitutes. Do you like zucchini? You can make zucchini noodles and put whatever sauce you want. There are low carb bread products and wraps that are pretty good. Sometimes you gotta suck it up and try new things.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2015

Cottage and fruit for lunch. Whole grain pasta made by barilla is good. Join an online support group. They always have good recipes. I'm not as careful with diet as I should be. That's an understatement, actually ...

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 12, 2015

The protein cereal by Special K is pretty good. The Cheerios protein cereal tasted good but it didn't stick with me like the Special K.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2015

I wasn't aware of the special k. I'll have to try that.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 12, 2015

That's good advice for those of us on a regular diet!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2015

When I was young and the Dr Atkins diet was popular, I cut out all carbs...literally. I had more energy than ever and lost a lot of weight. I couldn't do it today, though.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 12, 2015

Check the sugar/carbs content on the cereal. I would try to find one with high fiber/low sugar. The best bet is to check your blood sugar level to see if certain foods affect you because of the insulin resistance.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 12, 2015

I don't follow Atkins since I hate to cut out all carbs (like fruit) but when my husband started taking Metformin his doctor put him on the lowest dose because he told him to just follow a low(er) carb diet. I follow the same diet by default (well, someone is offering me free pizza haha). It's not bad if you find substitutes for carbs (and you can't be picky!!!)

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2015

I was young and wanted to look good for my wedding! I do remember that my favorite treat was cantaloupe with whipped cream. Now I'm so bad that I'll take extra insulin just to have a gooey dessert.

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 12, 2015

Oh, I'm fully aware that carbs are my problem. I.love.them. Pasta, potatoes, bread, yum, yum, yum.
    I'm Italian. It is in my DNA.

I'm trying to be better. Tonight I had two slices of left over pizza for dinner. (Just cheese and mushrooms) I took a bite of the crust and thought, "I'm full. Do I need this?" and threw it away. That is quite a big step for me.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 12, 2015

It's 19g of carbs.