Messing up half completed work

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MorahMe, Oct 7, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 7, 2010

Today, in conjunction with our Cc Letterbooks, we were decorating body tracings to look like clowns. One of my girls was doing it very carefully, and when she wanted to stop, I told her it wasn't a problem, she could. It's going to take us a few days to complete anyway, and I don't want to pressure them when it comes to fun projects. Five minutes after I told her she could stop, she was back coloring, which was totally fine as well. However, when I checked back on her a few minutes later, the whole thing was scribbled over in red crayon!

How do you deal with students starting off following directions, doing good work, and then ruin the whole thing on purpose?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 7, 2010

Was she upset? Or was she just being creative. In PS, children are more interested in the process than the product.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 7, 2010

Whoops, this is the K section, but you list yourself as a PS teacher. It makes a difference as to the age of the child. Was this a 4 or 5 year old?

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 7, 2010

I should change the grade listed to Preschool/K-I'm a combined class. Unfortunately, I STILL haven't gotten an accurate list of student information, so I don't actually know if she's four or five. My students change how old they are every time I ask...some days she says four, some days five.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2010

It could also be some perfectionism coming out. Is she a student who needs to do everything perfectly? Sometimes if they make what they see as a little mistake, they just start over!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 8, 2010

Remember, the most meaningful painting a PS/K can do is a black one. When they put layers of colors on the paper, and it turns black, they are experiencing the process. Unless the child is distressed about her project, I would just accept it as it.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2010

Did you ask her why she had added the red (scribbles) to her work?

9. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 9, 2010

We were packing up by then, so I didn't get to ask her anything. I will this week when we continue. Thanks everyone!