Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by hanvan, Dec 13, 2005.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2005

I was just wondering if you think the "war on christmas" (taken from the O'Riely show) is really a problem or if the media is hyping it up? I personally think its more media. I never noticed anything before but now its all you hear on the news. Just wondering what others thought?

On another note...I really don;t want Christmas to loose its meaning and become over commerialized----or has that already happened???

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2005

I know the media has really gone overboard this time. What really started the hype is when the president wrote Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas on his holiday cards ....which is kinda ironic when we have the division of church and state anyway...lol

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2005

Yes we have the division, but Christmas is a federal holiday! An irony on your irony, deedee!!! LOL!!!

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2005

I didn't know thats how it started! I think its stupid! Why not say Merry christmas and happy holidays??

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2005

I think it is way to commercialized and wish we could go back years when it seemed more meaningful!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 13, 2005

Oh, me too. Why pretend it isn't Christmas? Whether you celebrate it as a secular Santa holiday or a Christ-focused holiday, it still is Christmas. I don't celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa so I don't say happy H or K unless I am greeting someone who does. Why should I say happy holidays when I mean merry Christmas?

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2005

Happy Holidays has been around for many, many years. I have Jewish friends who wish me Merry Christmas, I wish them a Happy Chanukah. If I had a black friend who celebrated Kwanza, I would wish him a Happy Kwanza. If I don't know, I usually say something like Happy Holidays. Taken with our New Year, it safely covers about 99% of the folks around here.

I think a lot of the uproar is from fundamentalist Christian groups. Local Christians are picketing a local Wallmart because their greeting is Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2005

I have always loved christmas and being the dorms this year has deffinilty given me a deeper apperciation for this time of year. I miss christmas trees, baking and the whole lot of it ...

I say both Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday( If im working I always say Happy Holiday...I have gotten yelled at many times by customers for saying merry christmas ..uhhh..grocery stores during the holidays are CRAZY!!!

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2005

deedee, bah humbug! to those who complain! If you want to say it, say it! You have the right! OH, my daughter works at a grocery store as well........you are right, it is crazy this time of year. Between her work hours and studying for her finals, she is exhausted!! You are both due for a well deserved break!! And oh, Merry Christmas!!!! :):D

11. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2005

Thanks ! Ya its crazy but who can stay in a bad mood when its CHRISTMAS!!! I hope to get in a nice break I am already schedualed for the next five days ..lol..oh well at least I work with all my friends !

Merry Christmas to you Kinder!!!

12. smilesjd

smilesjd Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

I worked at a Christmas set at the mall during high school, where children get their pictures taken with Santa. A co-worker said "Merry Christmas" to a family leaving the set. The dad freaked out and said she should be saying "Happy Holidays" to people leaving. I thought that was weird because his children just finished visiting with Santa. Isn't Santa directly related to Christmas?

Around here stores hearing slack for having signs that say "Christmas trees" instead of "Holiday Trees." Fill me in if I'm wrong, but aren't the trees directly related to Christmas too?

13. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2005

No youre not wrong...christmas trees, santa (was actually st. nick), chritmas cards-all this stuff is christmas.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

I always just said Happy Holidays because of Christmas & New Year!!!

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

I don't even want to start in on this one. I think it's ridiculous personally. If people don't like the word Christmas, then screw'em! Sorry to be so blunt. If someone is offended, then I retort with "you don't think I'm offended by someone wanting me to not express my faith?". Idiots! And why do people have to associate it with the word "war". Just a shame is all it is. I will say Merry Christms to all, and to all who don't like it, you can just kiss my you know what!

16. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2005

I agree ...Christmas is the one time of year that we need to look past differences and celebrate however YOU feel comfortable whether thats Channakka (sp) Kwanza, Christmas, or just celebrate by celebrating another year...

17. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2005

Well said!

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

I almost wish I did teach in a public school so I could voice my loud mouth opinion of it all! I don't have any problem with people celebrating thier own faith so why should people care about what I celebrate. There should be a mutual respect and by shunning "Christmas" is not mutual respect!

19. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2005

I agree. I do have a Jewish child in my room. Yesterday we learned about Hanukkah and she was so excited. Then we compared it to christmas (it was a chart...when is it celebrated, where, gifts exchanged etc...we also included zwanza, and chinese new year) anyway when we filled in the christmas side she was making ugly faces. We had a big talk about respect and then I phoned her mother.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

Good for you. No matter what religion a person practicies, I think tolerence also needs to be taught!

21. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 15, 2005

I think that calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree is rediculous! We wouldn't call a minorah something else because it was ofensive, I just think that to mute down a tradition for political corectness is disturbing! I don't think that it would be caught in the media if it wern't really going on, I was at the mall last week, and the Santa photo session was put way in the last coridor of the mall, there was hardly any festive decorations, I was a bit disapointed.

22. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 17, 2005

ABall, your post reminded me of something funny. My daughter told me saw on TV where a mall got in trouble because they put Santa Claus right beside a Victoria Secret. OOPS!

23. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Dec 19, 2005

both

I say both since holiday is a compound word for holy day. If I'm not sure of someones beliefs I'll say Happy Holiday, otherwise I say Merry Christmas.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2005

The president's cards were probably created LONG before the Christmas/Holidays debate began. The president send his cards to supporters of many faiths so having 'Merry Christmas' on them would not be appropriate to send to people of non-Christian beliefs, but Happy Holidays works. I don't have an issue with Happy Holidays from people who do not know me. I say Merry Christmas to those I kow who celebrate, Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate that and Happy Holidays to everyone else.

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2005

You know if someone said Happy Hanukkah to me I wouldn't be offended. Therefore, I think telling anyone Merry Christmas regardless of their beliefs is fine.

To be honest, I think this whole debate is utterly retarded!

26. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2005

I agree. People have become so consumed with being politically correct that they cant see the reason for the season! Everyone has the right to practice thier own religon but why do I need to hide my HOLIDAY ?? I agree with Jen, I wouldnt be offended if someone said Happy Hanukka or Happy Kwanza. So why do people feel so threatend by christmas???

Holiday tree ..???? Thats the most asinine (sp) thing I have ever head of ...next thing you know they will re name the nativity and the cross

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 19, 2005

I think it's because Christmas has become a secular holiday 'celebrated' by stores, media, etc., with little regard to religion. So, folks who don't celebrate Christmas feel defensive that the whole society has adopted something they don't believe in.

28. Dec 19, 2005

You eventually we'll have so much divergence and
    in all we do that we probably will not be able to complete anything for fear of offending someone. So with that having been said said, happy..whatever makes you happy and Merry whatever and to most a good you know! (It's going to be pretty confusing from what I can see or would that be percieve?)

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2005

You know when you try hard not to offend anyone, you end up offending someone!!! It's Christmas, not maybe, not sort of, that's what it is, and that's what I will continue to say.......so Merry Christmas EVERYONE!! :)

30. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Dec 19, 2005

Right on, kinder!! My sentiments exactly!!:)

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2005

I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but the media is definitely hyping up the incident with Walmart's slogan "Home for the Holidays" A bunch of religious groups are protesting because of it, but really they only chose that slogan because they wanted something to run from mid-November through January and there are a few holidays that fall into that time frame!
    Also, many times I write "happy holidays" on my cards because I'm referring to not only Christmas, but New Years as well and it's quicker than writing "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" on every single card! :)

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 20, 2005

I do the same. Especially for those with children, the vacation time covers both of the holidays. Remember that song by Kenny Loggins, "Home For the Holidays"? It is one of my favorites.

33. westcoaster

westcoaster Rookie

Dec 20, 2005

I think that saying "Happy Holidays" shows respect for the variety of religions celebrating holidays around this time of year. Perhaps it's an evolution, rather than some kind of backlash etc.... I think it's a recognition that not everyone is Christian, and that society has typically only recognised Christian holidays. So, I'm great with "Happy Holidays" -- it's respectful and inclusive!

34. jcg

jcg Cohort

Dec 20, 2005

I use Happy Holidays, just to avoid the problem of whether I am being correct or not.

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2005

If someone doesn't like the fact that I say Merry Christmas and that I am Christian, they can bite me. Sorry to be so blunt but I am sick and tired of people being scared of "offending" others. To be honest, I would feel like I would be abandoning my love for Christ if I didn't say Merry Christmas because I was afraid of offending someone. What kind of faith would I or someone have if we were hiding our beliefs to others? Like I said, I would never be offended if someone said Happy Hanukkah to me, so why should I worry about offending someone with Merry Christmas?

I have no problem with people saying Happy Holidays, It's when people hide their Christianity for sake of offending someone that bothers me. This was never a big deal until recently this year so why should it be a big deal now?