merit based bonuses

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathematicalanomaly, Feb 1, 2018.

1. mathematicalanomaly

mathematicalanomaly Rookie

Feb 1, 2018

.sdf

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 1, 2018

Sounds like you need to find yourself a state with a good union, and get there fast. We have no such bonuses here.

Tyler B. likes this.
  4. mathematicalanomaly

Feb 1, 2018

I am actively trying to leave the state this summer. I have applied to school districts in Washington, Oregon, Colorado and one in northern california.

Fingers crossed I can move out of here ASAP.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2018

There have been studies done that show merit pay only works to motivate people in menial, factory-type jobs (no I'm not going to post them, google it if you're curious). Yet people continue to try it in education!

My previous district was a pay for performance district. To avoid issues like the ones described in the OP, everyone in the school got the same testing bonus, the idea being that all teaching positions contributed to success. That was still problematic because teachers didn't feel they had much control over the school wide outcomes. One year my extremely low SES school got a huge bonus from going from something like 35% proficient to 42% proficient, while the wealthiest school got almost nothing because they'd stayed the same at 94% proficient. The next year they ran out of the grant money that was funding this whole endeavor, and massively cut the amount that everyone got, to the point where it was pretty much worthless. Obviously, all of the factors that go into student performance that are out of the teacher's control were also completely ignored.

BTW, I'm in Colorado. The state of education is not great here. It's not a union state. Many districts have gone to a pay for performance model where your yearly raise (if you get one) is based on test scores. Mine is one of the few in the metro area that still uses a completely traditional salary scale based on years of experience and education, but we've had many freezes and cuts over the years. I'm in my 8th year of teaching, but paid as a 4th year teacher on the salary scale. Salary doesn't come close to the COL here (may be better in rural areas, I honestly don't know as I have no interest in living there). Many teachers are leaving the profession and/or the state because they have simply become "priced out" of living here on a teacher's salary.

Tyler B. and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 2, 2018

Come to California! Yay!

Tyler B. likes this.
  7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Feb 2, 2018

These bonuses have been shown to be unfair, ineffective and harmful. North Carolina's legislators have deconstructed their once model public schools by applying a debunked market-based philosophy to education. No matter how bad the results, they cling to their theories, one of which is that teaching is not a profession, it's just reading a simple script to a group of children. Anyone can do it.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 2, 2018

If you are so against performance-based bonuses, then return the one you received. Otherwise, be proud of your and your student’s accomplishments! You’ve earned that bonus, IMO. I mean, just look out how much time and prep you put into your students.

And who cares if the other teachers are jealous. That is not pertinent. You don’t have to justify yourself or why you deserve it or not — your students showed positive growth and so you need to be recognized for that.

9. mathematicalanomaly

Feb 2, 2018

it isn’t that I don’t deserve it, but that so many of my colleagues ALSO do. It’s divisive. Next year I won’t even qualify because I only teach math next year and that makes me feel furious. I won’t be recognized financially no matter how hard I work and that feels like a slap to the face after once receiving a bonus, you know?

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 2, 2018

There is literally no sum of money they could put in front of me that would spur me to be a better teacher than I already am. I bust my you-know-what off every day. Honestly, I'd be offended at the idea that a couple hundred extra bucks a month would inspire me to be better than I already am. I'm more than happy to do everything I can to help student progress, with or without a bonus.

Caesar753 likes this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 3, 2018

I work for a charter school and the idea of bonuses were discussed before they were implemented. We get ours in December and you had to have been with the company the previous year. There's a formula that takes into account budget, attendance, retention of returning students, M-Step (the state test), and NWEA MAP testing scores. I may be missing something. Depending on your job, Admin, teacher, support staff you receive a certain percentage of your salary based on the formula. It's a bit complicated, but as long as the school earns something in at least 1 of the above categories, everyone gets a bonus.