Menu suggestion

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Sep 14, 2008.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

We are a church preschool and on Thursdays we have soup kitchen that meets in the same building as our lunch room and the workers use the same kitchen as us. Actually they were there first as we just went all day and started serving lunch this year. To keep from having too many cooks in the kitchen, we serve McDonalds on this day. The restaurant owners go to our church. We serve plain hamburgers, french fries, and apple wedges along with milk. All of this meets our state department nutrition regs. Some of the parents are saying that their kids are tired of eating hamburgers every Thursday. I do not see evidence of this, but it is understandable. I have asked McD's if we could subbstitute chicekn nuggets. We can, but the cost blows our budget. We already pay $2.00 per child on this day and now we would go up to $2.25. I considered pizza, but we would have to add a fruit and vegetable which would mean being in the kitchen. Also, most of the kids only like cheese pizza and we are required to serve 1 1/2 ounces of meat per child. The lady who handles the finances said I should just order the cheese pizza and not worry about the other. She thinks I should just fudge on our menus that we send in to the state department. Since we are a church preschool, I will not do this. Any suggestions on other items we could pick up?

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

That's a strange regulation. We are required to serve protein to the children, but not necessarily meat. We have several days where we serve vegetarian meals. Another option that wouldn't really require using the kitchen would be to serve turkey and cheese slices with a roll and carrot sticks or banana. Not sure if that would blow your budget, but if you went to Costco, you could probably do it for under $2 a child.

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

... or, you could give parents the option of ordering the chicken nuggets and paying $.25 each time. Just explain that it's out of your budget, but you're happy to order them if parents pitch in the amount beyond what you can spend.

5. pabef

pabef Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Great ideas. Thanks!

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 14, 2008

Just a note, in our food program we can so extra cheese on top of the regular cheese and that counts as a meat alternate. Meat isn't necessary-just up the protien.

Especially since there is a school-time air about in Sept you could perhaps have "bag school lunches" in sept for a couple of the weeks and then have the MCD for the other couple. That would break it up at least. Bags could be made at am or day before if you have space in refrigerator over the next days meeting? I remember when you were going full day-is it working well besides this small challenge?

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 14, 2008

the "special " meal that went over the best in our entire center in all the years we done any was actually peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! We did PB&J and served baby carrots with ranch dip and applesauce with a chocolate chip cookie for dessert. The kids absolutely loved it! We gave them chocolate, strawberry or plain milk to drink.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 14, 2008

Yes, and when we serve that lunch out of a plain paper bag we call it a "school lunch" the children all love that. We will do that next week now that I think of it.

9. pabef

pabef Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I remember when you were going full day-is it working well besides this small challenge?[/QUOTE]

Yes. We have had a great start. We had to move to our gym for 3 weeks as we had new tile put in. We had been waiting all summer for it to be done and the workers showed up the week school was starting, but if that is the worst that happens, we will have a great year. We are back in our clasrooms and the new floor looks great.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 14, 2008

Yes. We have had a great start. We had to move to our gym for 3 weeks as we had new tile put in. We had been waiting all summer for it to be done and the workers showed up the week school was starting, but if that is the worst that happens, we will have a great year. We are back in our clasrooms and the new floor looks great.[/QUOTE]

how are you doing w/ your full day switch. Did you find it easy or hard to make the 1/2 day program fill the full day?

11. pabef

pabef Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Actually pretty easy when we got going. I was really stressed during the planning stages, but once I got it all pulled together, it went fine. Just a new experience and things keep popping up that I did not think about, but I have decided to just go with the flow and not get too wigged out when things happen.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 14, 2008

Great plan. Keep us posted. I am happy that it went so well for you.