Mentorship and certification

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MrTeacher, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

So being that my position is technically only for half the year... I had a question about the certification process.

I know when you are new and you have your CE or CEAS, you teach for one year under a mentor, after which you get your certification.

Even though I'm maternity leave for only half the year, I'm being treated like a new teacher (ie, not a LT sub) and have a mentor. As far as the NJ state policy goes, does anyone knows how this will work? One of my friends said she heard that it was something like you need to accumulate 1 years worth of teaching under a mentor within say a 3 year period. But then another one of my friends said she thought I would probably have to wait till I get a full year position and this half year doesn't count.

If anyone knows or could point me in the right direction to finding out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

3. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

I'm interested too! If I find a position anytime soon, will 90% of a school year count towards my required teaching time? will 80%? What about an LTS position?

Thanks for asking, MrTeacher

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2008

Why not ask an administrator? Or check with the Professional Development chairman in your building... If they assigned you a mentor they must have some idea of how it works...

5. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

I actually don't have a mentor yet... I've asked a couple people, no one seems to know though

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 6, 2008

I have a great mentor who is also my team teacher. Every time I'm about to lose my mind, she somehow knows to track me down and remind me that our charter school is a fluid one and to just go with the flow. I adore this woman!

Certification-wise, I'm slightly in the dark. I've been told I will be working on passing my Praxis III exam to gain my permanent certificate, but haven't heard anything on how I'm going to do this. My teaching position is so bizarre (online school teaching Title One slightly outside of my certificate), I'm not sure how this is going to be done. It's unnerving, but I must continue to go with the flow.