Mentor/Mentee Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AHS_Fan, Sep 16, 2013.

1. AHS_Fan

AHS_Fan Rookie

Sep 16, 2013

I have a question regarding a mentor/mentee situation.

I'm in my 2nd year of teaching, and I have a new mentor this year.

Recently we had a conference regarding an observation my mentor did of me and a video lesson my mentor viewed of me teaching.

By and far, the observation part of the conference went well and I was in agreement with what she mentioned. However, I disagree with a lot of the the formal write-up she did of my video lesson.

Honestly, I feel my mentor marked me down for a lot of petty stuff - including:
    - My bulletin board not being changed since she was in 2 weeks ago. She never mentioned that being a problem nor are we at my school required/encouraged to changed bulletin boards frequently.
    - She marked me down because I did not say something while modeling writing to students; however, the video clearly shows that I did say that repeatedly.
    - That I used wait time to call on students. I waited about 2-3 seconds to call on students. I explained that in the past I struggled with wait time, but my mentor said wait time isn't important.

Now, with that being said, I feel some of what was mentioned was true. I do think this writing lesson needed work and I feel some of what else was suggested is good for me.

I expressed some concern over what she had written on the form and was told I could write a response, but to remember that "I'm the menor and you're the beginning teacher."

Now, I just don't know what to do. What she said isn't totally true, but I don't want to harm our relationship either nor do I want my mentor to talk about me behind my back.

I just feel super stressed out and now I don't know if I can trust my mentor, ask questions or get help. :(

3. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 16, 2013

How much weight is placed on a mentor's evaluation in your school/district?

On a side note, I've read dozens of threads on this forum that either directly or indirectly espouse the importance of bulletin boards in classrooms; maybe it's because I'm a secondary teacher, but who the HELL has time to constantly design and redesign freaking BULLETIN BOARDS?

4. AHS_Fan

AHS_Fan Rookie

Sep 16, 2013

I am not totally sure, but I do know your Mentor does have some sway as to whether or not you're placed on probation/monitor growth plan.

Yes, I agree with you about the bulletin boards! I teach middle school...I certainly don't have time nor the resources to update my bulletin boards weekly!

5. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 16, 2013

I'd gather some more information in a surreptitious manner. If she really doesn't have much sway at all, grin and bear it. If her evaluations are a significant component of overall evaluations or merit, you need to kindly but firmly point out her inconsistencies. "I see what you're saying, but I think I addressed your concern in this part of the lesson. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it more explicit next time?"

6. AHS_Fan

AHS_Fan Rookie

Sep 16, 2013

I don't have much time to gather any information as the paperwork has to be complete by 8am tomorrow.

Would it be okay if I wrote a polite reply on the document mentioning the wait time being a prior issue, but no longer one I need to focus on and how the video did record me saying those things but perhaps the audio/quality may not how shown that clearly? And mention how I feel this lesson could have been stronger and how I think the suggestions are good?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2013

Mentors are not supervisory in my district.

8. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 16, 2013

That's the way I'm leaning, but I'd hate to give you advice that would be detrimental if mentors do have some supervisory impact in your district.