Mentioning UNofficial References?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Jul 9, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

I have to write a cover letter today...and I'm not sure how to do it.

This is my neighborhood school district. My kids are older (22 and 20) so they aren't current students - or even recent students - yet there are teachers there who still know me and remember my time as their very hard-working room-mom (who was a former teacher). There is also one teacher that i worked with (taught in the same school) 20-some years ago. I DO sub in the district (..but haven't really met too many teachers/administrators to make connections past the above teachers and a few other "old-timers" who remember me.) On top of which this is a brand new superintendent and the sister school of the one where I know the ladies at...at THIS school, I don't know ANYONE.

OK...do I mention my known connections? They aren't official recommendations-but if asked those ladies WOULD know me...and probably would say nice things. Do I mention them at all? Do I mention my PAST in the district?

Thanks

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

I might mention something about volunteering as a room mom when you daughters went to school there and how that you were impressed with the school even back then.

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

I would say something about being a teacher-turned SAHM-turned teacher. Mention that you were very active in the district when you were a SAHM.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

How about how you looked at the school's website, and are so glad to see that some of the teachers your family remembers so fondly from 10 years ago are still on staff-- that it speaks volumes about the school??