Mentally gifted testing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Oct 16, 2013.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Oct 16, 2013

A parent of one of my third graders contacted me about having her son tested for the mentally gifted program. She said she has been asking to have this done since he was in first grade.

I emailed my principal about it, but received no response.

Is the mentally gifted program considered special ed? I know that in special ed cases, if a parent requests testing, the school must test the child within 60 days.

Does this happen for mentally gifted testing as well? If it does, I will advise the mother to write a letter. This poor lady has been very patient for several years now.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

I really don't think that if a parent requests testing, testing must be done. Period. Not within 60 days, not ever.

It is my understanding that if a parent requests testing, a meeting must be held within 60 days about testing. It doesn't mean that testing will be granted, just that it would be considered.

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Oct 16, 2013

Ah, I see. So in this case, if a parent requests it, a meeting must be held within 60 days?

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

That's my understanding. But I'm by no means an expert.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2013

Different states have different requirements. Some states treat gifted ed similar to special ed, others treat it as an option, other states basically pretend gifted kids don't exist. I highly doubt that your state would give a gifted ed referral the same type of urgency as a SPED referral, however.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 16, 2013

Here there are no services for gifted students until fourth grade.

There is a gifted education coordinator, and all gifted students have a service plan, but they are not part of the IDEA umbrella.

8. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Oct 16, 2013

If you are talking about all assessments, this is not true. If a parent requests assessment in writing, we have 15 days to respond, and they have 15 days to respond to our response. Once there is an agreement to continue with testing, we have 60 days from the day permission was granted (a signed assessment plan) to finish testing and have a meeting to discuss the results and plan. I believe that is IDEA timelines. Some states have different, shorter timelines.

It's true, we don't have to test if the parent requests it, but we have 15 days to respond to her in writing why we believe that testing should not be done. It's called Prior Written Notice, and is very specific about what MUST be in letter explaining why the school refused assessment. They can fight this and go to due process, which costs far more time and money than it is really worth. In the vast majority of cases, if a parent requests assessment in writing and isn't going to budge from it, the easiest thing to do is just assess the student.

If you are talking about assessment for the gifted program, I am not sure, but I think that is a state-by-state policy. It's rare that we get a request from a parent for a gifted student. I'd check with your district and/or state policy for clarification.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 16, 2013

Gifted education is not considered special education, at least not in terms of IDEA and all the legal timelines that go along with it. There really are no federal laws regarding gifted education, and the parent really cannot do anything but continue to ask.... or fight the battle for gifted kids that was once fought for by parents of kids with disabilities several decades ago.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 17, 2013

Gifted education is not under the federal special education umbrella - however, some states have it included in special education