Men in the Kitchen

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Dec 31, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2010

With all the talk about cooking and chores and such...

How involved is your husband when it comes to cooking and other related kitchen duties? I have to say, I had a good laugh when I overheard this conversation today when my father-in-law was over to watch the big college basketball game. They were in the kitchen and one of my gadgets was on the counter; I was in the living room.

FIL to Husband: What's that?

Husband: Hmmm. Not sure. Just one of her things, I guess.

FIL: Yeah, but what does it do?

Husband: I think it holds a cookbook or something.

FIL: Oh.

Well, as you probably have already seen, it wasn't a cookbook holder but a silicone oven grabber/mitt. Please don't ask how they both managed to accept this was a cookbook holder!

[​IMG]

I guess that answers my own question about my husband's involvement. :haha:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

:toofunny:

Mine knows what most everything is since he buys it for me. But I don't really like him cooking. He makes a big fat mess. I only let him grill. He did make me a breakfast sandwich this morning. Pan is still on the stove top.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Mine preps but doesn't really cook. He will grill anything though. :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Pete's a good cook, though he tends to use every single pot we own.

He's more likely to make something fairly exotic. I'm more of the run of the mill, "get dinner of the table and get to the dishes and the homework " kind of a cook.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2010

My husband is a great cook. He can make anything from burgers on the grill to Beef Wellington to Creme Brulee. He does make a big old mess though. When he does cook and lets me "rest" I end up getting 100 questions about where this or that is in the kitchen that it's easier if I just did it myself LOL It reminds me of the old I Love Lucy episode where Ricky says he is going to make breakfast in bed for Lucy and she gets up and down 100 times to help him find things.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

I love that story, JustMe. And I won't ask how it was possible for them to interpret the grabber as a cookbook holder! Too funny.

There are no men in my kitchen, but I can still hope .....

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2010

I've never seen that grabber but now I want one!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

I just got one of those grabbers for Xmas! It seems like it's going to be very useful!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

We have those grabbers.

My husband does at 90% of the kitchen stuff. I am so okay with that.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 31, 2010

My husband can cook well enough to not starve if I'm not here. He has a rather small repertoire, though. When I was gone to Space Camp for over a week, the girls would call me..."Mom, we cannot eat Hamburger Helper one more time! Please tell him something else!" He does make a mean sausage gravy. That is his specialty.

He is wonderful when it comes to helping out cleaning. I cook, he helps clean up-it's a match made in heaven.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

This is mine...and he smokes meat, potatoes, and beans in the smoker.

13. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

My mother taught me how to cook. That's what she had to pass on. Can I do everything? No, but I can do most things and am still learning.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

mine can do breakfast foods, pasta, tacos and frozen pizza:)
    he thinks he can season the pasta by putting red pepper flakes in the boiling water

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 31, 2010

My BF is an amazing cook. I told him he missed his calling and if all else fails he can become a chef. I'm pretty sure he can take whatever we have in the kitchen and throw something together that tastes awesome. Even my mom has asked him for recipes!

The only problem is he uses every pot and pan we own when he cooks and leaves the mess for me to clean up at the end.

He made breakfast this morning (fried eggs & american cheese on onion rolls) and the frying pan is still sitting on the stove…… I guess he'll just rinse it out a bit before he uses it when he starts making the burgers for dinner tonight.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

Mine does most of the cooking, and he keeps the kitchen clean! When I started teaching, he got home first most of the time, and he eventually just took it over. I don't mind at all!

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

We are both great cooks. BF experiments a lot while if I am craving something, I don't want to experiment - I want it to taste just like what I am craving. He also makes more one pot dishes - a lot of times in a HUGE pot with a lot of leftovers - things like chili, goulash, pasta, soup, etc. I am more likely to make a main dish with a couple sides. We pretty much share cooking and cleaning up, although I prefer to clean up after myself and let him clean up on nights he cooks, because I clean more as I go, and he leaves a mess for after dinner.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

My husband barely knows where the kitchen is. He can find the microwave to heat up his water for coffee. He is a great cleaner and helps around the house.

19. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

We each have our specialties. When he is home on the weekends, he usually does breakfast. This is to give me a break since I am home with the kids all week. He does a great pot of chili and is the grill master. He also does minute steak, etc.
    I do a larger portion of the evening meals, but he is always there to help when he is home. He is also in there to do dishes, unload the dishwasher, etc.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 31, 2010

My DH really likes to cook. He didn't know how to cook anything when we got married. In fact, he only ate snacks if I wasn't home to cook for him. He couldn't even open a can unless it had a pull tab.

Then we got the Food Network. One day when we were shopping he asked me if he could buy fresh rosemary, olive oil, smoked gray salt, and fresh rainbow trout. After my initial "who are you and what have you done with my husband" moment, I helped him find the things he wanted. Last weekend he asked for rum extract and brown sugar. He made bananas foster.

My dad was a great cook. He alwasy did like to cook, but when he was working he didn't do it much. His office was in the airplane hanger at the company, and it had a complete apartment. He started cooking some days when it was slow. Once he retired, he cooked more often that Mom cooked.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My dad was at his happiest at his house in the Poconos, sitting on the deck and eating a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Even if the house lost power, as it sometimes did in the winter, dad was in heaven, eating that stew.

Every time I see a can in the supermarket, I think of him and smile.

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

My dad was a great cook and my uncle loves cooking as well.

My husband is in the kitchen making cheese fondue for us....smells very good;)

My husband, aunt, uncle and I are taking a cooking class together at the end of January, should be a lot of fun

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My husband cooks frozen pizza or Kraft dinner for Lauren maybe twice a year. That's it.

A couple of months ago I sat and watched him rattle around in the kitchen drawers for over 5 minutes. When I asked him what he was looking for, he replied, "the silver can-opener". I told him that it was in the back of the top drawer--exactly where it's been for the past 18 years.

24. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Dec 31, 2010

DH does great with big meals: turkey, feast of the seven fishes, etc.

He cooks pasta on Sunday afternoons using his grandma's sauce recipe, and cooks chili when I leave him the recipe. He's actually a great cook. We agreed though, I'm better at the day to day stuff, and he's better at the bigger meals for special occasions.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My hubby is a good cook! He just doesn't do it that often. He's great on the grill as well. Like other husbands, he seems to use everything we have in the kitchen and leaves the cleaning for me.

26. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My husband is becoming a great cook---the fire station is really training him well. He learns so much from the guys on shift it is amazing.

27. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

That's funny, Mopar. My hubby is a FF too and, yes, that is a perk to the job....being a great cook!!

28. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Tiffany, is your husband working tonight?

29. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

No, he is home tonight. But, boy, that's rare....seems like many holidays are spent waiting on him...or alone!! Definitely not one of the perks. I noticed on the "after party" thread that yours is at the station.

Enjoy your quiet evening, Mopar! If you get lonely, we can all keep chatting until late in the night!!

30. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

That's my hopes. He's supposed to call soon. But otherwise, it's just me tonight. I'm glad that you get to ring in with the hubby!

31. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

Mine does the dishes. Well he did. He's been laid up with foot issues. When he starts griping about doing the dishes (or what I cook) then I tell him he can cook and I'll do the dishes for a while.

32. HMM

HMM Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

I am the cook in the family. If I left it up to my wife we would starve to death. I also do most of the cleaning in the kitchen.

33. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

My husband is an excellent cook. I really don't crave going out for Chinese food any longer, because he cooks it better and fresher than anyplace. He loves cooking and takes pride in the quality and presentation. I, on the other hand, can hold my own but don't put in the extra attention to presentation.

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2011

I cook anything as long as it is steak or some kind of meat on the grill.
    I used my "kitchen sink" marinade (I put "everything" in it)
    Especially shish kabob everything that goes on the skewers goes in the blender
    [​IMG]
    Secret ingredient cinnamon

35. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

What goes in the blender?

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

For what it's worth, 12 year old Brian can hold his own in the kitchen.

He loves making eggs. This morning he made a pound of bacon. He's made crepes and a few other things in the past. He makes a wicked Chocolate Trifle.

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2011

When I make the marinade I add whatever is on the skewers to the marinade (not the meat) onions, garlic, green pepper, tomatoes and Potato. I use the blender to liquify so I can add them to the marinade.
    I marinade over night

38. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 1, 2011

My wonderful husband who can fix everything, who cleans everything and helps in every way you can imagine CAN NEVER COOK and SHOULD NEVER COOK!!!:D

Each time he makes an effort, it costs us a fortune in new pots for me:cool::cool: so we have decided that I shall remain the chief and only cook.

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

Oh, interesting! Do you then put the marinade just on the meat, or do you put some of the ingredients in the blended marinade and some on the skewers? Curious minds :cool:

My hubby is at the store for celery and chow fun noodles. Yippee, Chinese food tonight :)

40. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2011

Wow! My husband is a firefighter and is an awesome cook! He does 99% of the cooking at home since he's home more than I am.

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2011

Okay, I'm happy for everyone who has an amazing, skilled husband...but I was hoping for a few more questionable man-in-the-kitchen moments! Now I'm just feeling like the ol' husband is terribly inadequate! :haha: