"Men can be math teachers, too!"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MathManTim, Apr 28, 2009.

1. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Apr 28, 2009

I just got back from my first day at the school for whom I will be teaching geometry via correspondence. I had a nice, long conversation with my supervisor, who has 30 years of classroom experience before working for this school for the past 15. She was delighted that I was going to teach math in the fall, and argued that it was good for students to see that men can be math teachers, too. I thought that was a rather weird sentiment, but then I looked back at my own high school experience.

For the record, I went to a Catholic high school for the 1st 2-1/2 years, and then finished up at a public school after my family moved out-of-state in February of my junior year, so some of these numbers may look a little weird:

English: 4 men, 3 women (my English III Honors teacher at the Catholic high school is now published novelist James Conroyd Martin! Dude! Mr. Martin's a big-time author!)

Religion: 1 man, 4 women

Social Studies: 5 men

Latin: 2 women, 1 man

Art: 1 woman

P.E./Health: 2 men, 1 woman

Science: 5 men, 1 woman

Math: 5 women

Looking back, I'm quite surprised that all my math teachers were female, and all of my social studies teachers were male. On the other hand, all of my math professors in college, except for two, were men.

Just one of those things, I guess.

MathManTim

3. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Apr 28, 2009

My Virginia public high school looked like:

Math:
    2 female, then 1 male who taught both pre-cal and cal

English:
    2 female (one taught 9th & 10th grade), 1 male

History:
    3 female, 1 male

Science:
    2 1/2 female, 1 1/2 male (Female chem teacher had knee surgery and we had a male LTS for the 2nd semester)

PE:
    1 female, 1 male

French:
    2 female (one of them taught me for 3 years!)

Art:
    2 females

Shop:
    1 male

Both our Spanish teachers were male, but I didn't take Spanish. We actually had more male teachers at the school than apparent on this list, but apparently females were more likely to get the honors/AP classes.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 28, 2009

Growing up I had male math teachers. 5th grade, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

I only had one male math teacher growing up, but I had him for 3 years in a row. He taught all of the Honors math classes - and he was THE best math teacher I ever had. One of the best teachers in any subject that I ever had.

Most of the males in our school, though, were coaches first - history & science teachers part-time.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

Our current high school math department -

3 males and 2 females

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 28, 2009

My HS was pretty even male/female but there were more female english teachers and more male history/social studies teachers.

On the other hand, I read a Junie B, Jones book the other day and my kids couldn't believe the principal was a boy. :lol:

8. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 28, 2009

That's quite an interesting statement when you consider the stereotype that woman aren't as good as men in math and science.

My high school teachers were very evenly split between men and women in math, science, English, and social studies.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2009

I had 5 years of math in high school. Two of the teachers were men. (One, I'm positive, was teaching only to avoid Vietnam.)

I just did a quick headcount. In my department of 17 (I think; I may have skipped someone) there are 5 men.

10. Braves09

Braves09 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

I have had 3 male math teachers and 3 females.

11. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

Every math teacher I had from the 3rd grade on has been male. Every english/literature teacher I have had has been female. Now, every teacher in our school is female (I teach elementary). All of my principals (as a student and teacher) have been male except when I was in fourth grade. Talk about fitting the stereotypes.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 29, 2009

All of the Math teachers I had in middle school and high school were female
    :p

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 29, 2009

In high school, the only male teachers I remember taught math, science, shop, religion, or social studies. In fact, the math and history departments were "male heavy". The women seemed to dominate the English and Art departments. I have never worked for a male principal. The only one I ever had was in elementary school.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 29, 2009

The vast majority of all my HS teachers were male, but that probably had more to do with the fact that I was at a boarding school that was a HS/College combo (arts school), and all my math except AP calc in the 9th grade had to be taken at a different university in the same city, since I still had to have three years of math to graduate, and they didn't offer anything higher than AP Calc.. I think I had three female teachers my entire HS career.