Memphis, TN - Where to Stay???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Apr 8, 2010.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

So, my folks would like to see Graceland. We don't have a clue as to where it is exactly and where to stay while in Memphis. I would like for them to stay in a nice AREA...not worry about a scary or questionable location.
    Can anybody help me out? Where is a good place to stay and what other points of interest are there besides Graceland? Is it worth a 2 night stay or just one?
    Thanks so much!

3. Apple125

Apple125 Rookie

Apr 9, 2010

Germantown is a nice area to stay in. It's about fifteen miles away from Graceland- you need to figure in traffic but it's worth it to stay in a better part of town. Germantown has lots of nice restaurants and shopping, too.

4. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

Graceland is pretty close to the airport. There are a lot of accommodations in and around Graceland on Elvis Presley Blvd., there is a lot of commercial development in that area, as you might expect.

Other places I would suggest visiting in Memphis include
    1) The Beale Street area - jazz, historical district
    2) The National Civil Rights Museum - it's on the site of the old Lorraine Motel, where Martin Luther King, Jr., was assassinated in 1968.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 9, 2010

The Peabody Hotel is beautiful, it has the ducks that march in. Beale Street has some great places to eat. Just be careful, there's some pretty dangerous areas in Memphis. Use common sense, don't leave your purse in your car or unattended, stay away from bad looking crowds, stay where the street lights are, and drive with your doors locked.