Memorizing student numbers.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by peridotylayne, Jul 19, 2008.

1. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I'm going to have two different classes this year, and since I don't want two sets of everything like cubbies, and behavior charts, I want to assign my students numbers. I want my class to be M1, M2, etc., and my team teacher's class to be Z1, Z2, etc (my last name starts with an M and my team teacher's starts with a Z).

What I really want to know is how easy do those of you who use student numbers find it to memorize which student belongs to each number?

And if anyone has any suggestions as far as how to number my students, those are welcome as well. :)

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

I number my kids alphabetically, by last name. So I'm seeing their number when I take attendance. At least in the beginning of the year I also have them put their number right after their name as a way for both of us to learn their number. After a while it becomes automatic. I've memorized most of their usernames for a password protected website.

4. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I think it will take some time to memorize their numbers, repitition. I gave my students numbers last year, abc order. They put their numbers on thier tests, hw, reports anything they handed in, it made it easier to put them in order. I also numbered the class set of texts so if we used them they had to get their number, so if it wasn't returned I knew who had it.

Hope this helps.

5. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 19, 2008

That's what I wanted to do. I want them to put their numbers on their papers, tests, hw, science journals, etc. That way it'll be easier to record in my gradebook and put in order. I also plan on labeling the cubbies that I have with numbers.. that way both students M1 and Z1 will share cubby 1. Same goes for the behavior chart.. instead of putting the student name on the pocket, I'll put the number and at the end of each class I'll record color on a spreadsheet or some sort of paper/graph and start fresh with the new class.

6. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

Student numbers are great! Everything runs more smoothly and quickly. I assign my numbers alphabetically according to their first names. It's easier for me and the students to know their own number and everyone else's as well. For instance, a name like Amy would be one of the first numbers, whereas, a name like Zack would probably be number 20. I've always found memorizing numbers easy for this reason. I too have their numbers on their cubbies, as well as their books, crayon boxes, folders, etc.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

I used to use student numbers when I team-taught, and it was a godsend. I gave each class a name -- my morning group was the Penguins, and my afternoon class was the Polar Bears. My team teacher used the same names, so it was helpful. The numbers helped me alphabetize.

The only annoying part -- we have computerized grade books -- and whenever a new student is dropped or added (which happens a lot here, we are a military area) it renumbers everyone in my grade book and I can't over-ride it. So by October, everything was out of order. Grrrrrr. Can't win with everything, though.

8. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 19, 2008

i love the first name idea never thought of that :blush:

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 19, 2008

name and number

name and number on all papers, test and etc. Number goes with last name in ABC order because our grading is completed on the computer and forwarded to the main office.

10. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I'll have to do last name as well because of grading. I think I might tape a small class list with corresponding student numbers on my desk for easy reference - I don't see me memorizing 40 student names/numbers very easy. Maybe it will be, but for those nice scatter brained moments it'll be nice to have.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

One of my classes was 3rd grade inclusion. The other was 3rd grade Gifted and Talented. They both learned their numbers quickly. Yes -- you will need a cheat sheet! :)

I put their numbers on their nameplates too -- so it was right on their desk anyway.

I would have them line up in order sometimes, and other times, I'd play games with the numbers. Even numbers line up....

Odd numbers line up....

Then, I'd get more complicated -- Even numbers less than 10 line up... Odd numbers over 15 line up...

12. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 19, 2008

Love the games idea. I'm not worried about the students memorizing their own numbers, I'm worried about me haha