Memories of the 2004 hurricanes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by little317, Aug 17, 2008.

1. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 17, 2008

As our school year begins, there is already a threat of a hurricane on it's way to FL. This happened in 2004, before I began teaching. Has anyone had to deal with missing days due to bad weather during the first week? If so, did it greatly effect how your students learned procedures? I'm just scared that if we miss days during those crucial first week or two, that the kids are going to have a hard time adjusting.

3. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Well since school has been closed we will just be starting a day or two later.
    I was ready and a bit disappointed but now I am looking at it as if it is a gift and I can get my house in shape(as nothing was done here because of work week and my daughter's surgery).
    Plus do a couple of other things for the class!
    Better that it happened before we start than after. But it has happened before and it works out ok. The worst is when there is a storm coming and they are in school...their focus goes out the window!

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 17, 2008

We start tomorrow...so we might miss Tuesday or Wednesday.

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

The year of katrina we were in school not very long and ended up missing several weeks. So its kinda scary. I sure don't want to start with that this year. Florida is not to far from Mississippi.
    It seems like the last few weeks their have been several storms pop up. I wish all of you in Florida good luck.

6. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

St. Lucie County is still going Monday. We'll find out about Tuesday and Wednesday after the 11am advisories on Monday.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

I was listening to the news and thinking about all you Floridians. I hope you are all safe and sound, and that your homes are good to go!

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

We left FL after the 05-06 season...Francis, Jeanne, and Wilma. My kiddos had electricity and I didn't. We were out a few days and when we got back my portable was trashed and the windows were blown out with a lot of my materials ruined. I had to bring clothes with me and shower at school in order to have hot water. I don't know if it really affected the kids' learning, but it sure affected my teaching!!! I agree with Matt, the kids are worse before a storm than they are after.

9. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

My sister lives in Florida and she rides out the hurricanes and it scares the mess out of me. It was bad enough when hurricane Katrina came through. I don't think I could live on the gulf coast or in Florida it would scare me when the winds got to high. Good luck again with you all.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2008

It is possibly heading for the Sarasota area, Heather, and neither of us are in that area. If so, you know I survived this four years ago and had an amazing class. Sure, they were a little frazzled at first because of the hurricanes, but they really did well in the long run. They got back on track and did an amazing job.

11. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I was here for Hurricane Andrew and all of the littler ones too.
    The better the parents take it the better the children do. I hate it when parents let the children have full exposure to what the news is saying! Dade County look like it will be ok...but I'm praying Fay dies a quick death.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2008

I know. We don't need Fay right now. Hopefully she'll just blow through quickly.

13. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

*fingers crossed*
    Hear Hear Ms. Jasztal!

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

Hi To all the FLoridians! Wilma NAILED my hometown and of course Hurricane Andrew was the worst I have seen so close until Hurricane Katrina.
    I am a native Floridian (miami beach to be exact) and recall only ONE storm that we left our home for higher ground. It was Hurricane David. I dont remember hurricane season from my childhood to be like what it has been in the last 15 years!
    As a child, I guess I was so naive to the power or consequences of what it meant to be 'in a hurricane'.

There is always a named storm 2 weeks before school starts!

15. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I'm told Broward is closed tomorrow. Is that right? I teach in Hillsborough Cty. and my kids go to Manatee. Both are still planning to be open tomorrow for the first day. We'll see about Tuesday and Wednesday. Just wanted to say to all my fellow Floridians...stay safe!!!

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

I'm in Homestead...I remember Andrew vividly. It was over three months before we got power back and well into the next summer before everything was even close to "back to normal".

As for Fay, I'm glad it's happening now, so that the start of school is delayed, as opposed to a few days later, when the kids would get going, then have to stop again.

17. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

After Katrina, our school was closed for two weeks. We had just started our school year and gained some momentum. We had to basically start all over. We had to make up a certain amount of the time we missed. I think that breaks were cut in highschool, and the day was extended 15 minutes for about a month. It was ridiculous that we were required to make up the time. Not a whole lot more learning took place on the elementary end in those extra 15 minutes!!!

18. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

We live 100 miles inland and Katrina wiped out power in over half the state. We were lucky our house and cars were not damaged, but our yard was full of trees. It gave me something to do during the 16 days without power. Our yard looks totally different now than before Katrina. We were the only ones in our neighborhood with community water. Everyone else had wells. At least we did have water to use. I was 7 when Camille swept through the state. I don't remember that much, but I remember waking up in my parent's bed the next day!!!

19. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

So St. Lucie was in today, but we're out tomorrow. We don't know about Wednesday though!

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

Miami-Dade is out today and tomorrow, and the storm is all bark and no bite. Overall, it's just an overcast day with occasional bursts of rain and wind. We actually had worse weather at the begining of the summer. I think, down here, the decision to delay school was more financial. It would cost a whole lot more to open up for a day, only to close everything down the next day, than to just make everything hurricane ready before it had been opened up for the school year.

21. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Aug 18, 2008

Ahhh..the memories! 2004 was quite the year. Even in central Fla. We lived about 30 miles north of where Charley, Frances and Jean all crossed. School would just get going again and they would have to close. My dd still lives down there and as of right now the businesses around Disney are still going to be open. Schools were supposed to start today I think, except the local college. They start next week. Lets hope Fay doesn't pull a Charley and speed up at the last minute and take that nasty turn like before. You guys all stay safe down there.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

Charley was organized and already a hurricane when it hit the gulf. This thing is disorganized (barely holding on to a semelance of an eye) and only a tropical storm. Even the most pessimistic of models only have it strengthening into a cat 1, where as several models showed charlie doing exactly what it did, though they were the "pessimistic" ones. Remember, Charley is the reason the weather people started stressing the cone instead of the line.

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

We missed a week of school due to Katrina. When we went back to school, I had an extra class of students due to everyone from New Orleans still being displaced and an extra 8 people living in my house due to my relatives from New Orleans not being able to get home. Just when things settled back to normal (as normal as things could get at that time), Rita came along and my house flooded. My husband, son, and myself spent the next 6 months living with my parents and my 2 daughters were at my in-laws house while we re-built our house.

24. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

mmswm--I'm in Homestead also...small world and yeah Fay is all bark! hopefully she'll stay that way as she moves upward! Be safe everyone!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

wow...small world. The most exciting thing has been the tornado that touched down at US1 and Card Sound Rd.

26. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 18, 2008

It looks like Fay is just going to dump a ton of rain. We need it! The only real threat seems to be the possibility of tornadoes, due to what quadrant will come over where I am at.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

28. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 18, 2008

Thanks for the link.

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

30. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2008

We missed a month of school when Ivan hit. We had already been in school for about a month before the hurricane but we had to start from scratch. Some of us were in portables that were pretty well destroyed so for the rest of the year we were shuttled all over the school as they repaired things. Lucky for me, I had moved computers and my extensive class library inside the main building before the storm. When the clean up crew arrived, they threw everything in all the portables out down to bare studs so we never could come in and try to salvage whatever we could. I felt pretty lucky that most of my years worth of teaching files and resources were stored on my home computer so when we came back from evacuation I knew I could restore everything. No such luck. The rental house we moved into one week before the storm was flooded. Then I thought, that's ok because we had planned to close on our new house the day after the storm hit. When we got back into town we went to check out our new house and it was gone into the bay. There wasn't even a slab left. So we found another home to rent and everything was good until April when we had 17 inches of rain in one day. That flooded out that house and we finally gave up and moved 10 miles inland....the week before Dennis hit!

31. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

So St. Lucie is out tomorrow as well! I'm going to have to re-teach everything again!
    Oh well, I'll just act like it's the first day of school again...

32. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Palm Beach is back tomorrow. We will just start over. I am sure the kids are back in summer mode again. Tomorrow will be the 1st day again.

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2008

Dade was delayed for two days....we start tomorrow.

34. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 19, 2008

Volusia is still off for tomorrow. Looks like I'll be getting some plans done for the next couple weeks.

35. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Pinellas was out today (first day of school) and we've barely had any weather at all. Always better to err on the side of caution. Lord knows we didn't need a tropical storm to add to the chaos of the first day.

We're in session tomorrow :)

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2008

How are the folks in the center of the west coast? It looked like it might have gotten a little ugly for a bit.

37. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Wow... St. Lucie is now out for the rest of the week because of flooding!
    My fish are gonna die! :(

38. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

My first year teaching on the coast of NC, we had three hurricanes hit from July to September (I started work in July). The two September hurricanes were pretty much back-to-back with just a couple of weeks between them. We missed a couple of weeks of school so they decided to just take away all of the teacher workdays for the rest of the year and to extend the school year a bit. Talk about a long first year!!
    The school substained a bit of damage with the roof being blown off the computer lab and lots of limbs, etc. Our biggest problem came from the flooding. After the storms headed to the central part of the state, they opened the floodgates and let all the water down the Neuse River to the coast so it wouldn't flood out the rich folks in Raleigh. It just flooded out the farmers downstream. For weeks afterwards, you could see caskets floating down the rivers where they popped out of the saturated soil.
    The kids adapted really well. They are always so resilient. I think the most important thing is to get them back into the swing of things as quickly as possible.

39. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2008

Here in North Central Fla we are out tomorrow and on hold for
    Friday. Memories of 04. Our power went off for each one for just a few hours each time. My brother in the town nearby lost it for a week each time........We lived near a substation and I think that is why it was restored so quickly. Lost some trees and a screen door.

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 20, 2008

I heard there was some pretty bad flooding in parts of the state...how's everybody in the affected areas faring?