Memorial Day Weekend - What does it mean to you?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Major, May 24, 2013.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 24, 2013

Please don't forget the men and women who serve (and served) in our Armed Forces this weekend.... Without them your life .... as you know it .... would not exist. When you see a man or woman in uniform take the time to thank them for their service .... Let them know how much you care, and how you appreciate their dedication and sacrifice in keeping America free ......... :)

Memorial Day this year is especially important as we are reminded almost daily of the great sacrifices that the men and women of the Armed Services make to defend our way of life. ~Robin Hayes

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2013

I live with a hero...
    So thankful for those who sacrificed for us.

Take a moment this weekend between shopping and swimming and bbqs to be thankful.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 24, 2013

One of my friends on Facebook posted something the other day about why he doesn't understand why we say Happy Memorial Day because of the real reason why we celebrate the holiday. I'm surrounded by people who currently serve or have served in all branches of the military so their sacrifices are always in the forefront of my thoughts.

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 25, 2013

THANK YOU Major and others here who have served.
    I am thankful for our freedoms.

God Bless You

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 25, 2013

Let us remember what Memorial Day is it is not a day to wave the flag but a day to remember those who gave their lives so we can wave the flag.

I am old enough to remember when Memorial Day was NOT a three day holiday It was a day of remembrance I marched in the Memorial Day parade. I remember stopping at the memorials: the Presbyterian church (civil war), the library (WWI) and the corner of the park (WWII), one dropped by the Coast Guard. The band stopped, a wreath was lain, the vets and uniformed saluted, at noon the flags were raised up from half staff. The day was a solemn day a day of remembrance, we would end it will a cookout late in the day and Watch the other ceremonies across the nation on the TV. Where has it gone?

My dad taught me the meaning of Memorial Day and grandmother taught me that it used to be called Decoration Day. I have one grandfather who fought in WWI a dad who served in WWII a cousin who served in Korea 3 cousins who served in the first Arab Gulf war and a son who served in the last Persian Gulf war (also known as Arabian Gulf) they all came back. BUT I do have a couple high school friends that did not come back from Vietnam.

“This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.”

Here's to the Heroes

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 25, 2013

My parents always bought a pile of flowers and took us to the cemetery. We would go around and place flowers on graves with an American flag. We had no idea who those men and women were, but it was important to my parents that we recognize them. I think it was their way of honoring their own uncles, since they couldn't get up north.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 25, 2013

Like czacza, I live with a hero. I think about the men and women who gave their lives for my freedom. I also think about the men and women serving now so that I can keep that freedom.
    That is what Memorial Day means to me.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

It means all those who fought and gave their lives for us. I also think of those of you who live with men/women serving now and the families of those soldiers who never came home.

Thank you to all who give for our freedom!!!

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 25, 2013

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 26, 2013

When I was in 6th grade I memorized

In Flanders fields
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

I remember my grandmother helping me learn it, she took the time to explain the significance of each line and the poem, my 6th grade teacher said he hadn't heard it recited with such feeling, I thanked my grandmother for giving me insight on each point

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 26, 2013

This weekend makes me think of my two (late) grandfathers.

Funny/cute/almost unbelievable story: My grandfathers met while serving our country. They became good friends, and years later, my maternal grandfather joked that my mom would be perfect for my paternal grandfather's son (my dad). My mom and dad met when they were 15 (when my grandfathers finally introduced them to each other). They've been together ever since then!!!

Thinking of that story makes me smile, but it doesn't make me miss these two wonderful men any less!

13. First School

First School Rookie

May 27, 2013

We basically organise Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding kids and toddlers and participating in parades and let the kids know that the day marks the extreme amount of sacrifice that is required to keep our country free.