Mel Gibson

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 12, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 12, 2010

I'm sorry if someone posted about this already-I didn't see anything about it. Have you heard the recordings of him talking to his girlfriend? Really scary-on one he tells her "I'll put you in the rose garden" which the police are investigating as a death threat.

I know that movie stars are human and all, but I never would have guessed this one could have so much rage.

3. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

All actors/actresses seem to have their problems...crazy issues. I swear almost nothing seems to shock me anymore...

But ya, I was just watching Signs last night...and thought Mel was such a likeable guy in that movie...why does he have to be such a weird jerk in real life?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

How scary!! I know we all have our problems, and being a celebrity puts those problems front and center. I used to like him so much! Seems like all the celebrities I used to like are going crazy lately.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 12, 2010

I love Mel...when he's reciting lines from a script. Anything that he has thought up for himself lately is crazy.

6. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jul 12, 2010

He's such an unbelievable pig. I almost say he's worse than Alec Baldwin, but Baldwin went after his daughter so he's just as disgusting. He used to be my DH's favorite actor but not anymore.

Wow. I feel so sorry for his children.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

He's been in self-destruct mode for some time now.

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 13, 2010

Saw this on the news, it was an out of control man ranting and raving. I thought, good thing it was on the phone and not in person as there would have been abuse involved.

10. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

He is now under investigation for threatening to bury her in the rose garden or something to that effect...

This is the second time he has gone off on a racist rant... the first time was when he was pulled over by a cop for DUI.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 13, 2010

makes you wonder about his first wife. They were together for a while, was he doing this with her?

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 13, 2010

I'm listening to the phone calls right now, he is insane!

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 13, 2010

Ya, he really went to the extreme and it's scary.

14. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 13, 2010

Whoopi Goldberg says he is not a racist, what is wrong with her?

15. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2010

The thing that makes me the most mad is watching commentators defending him. I couldn't sleep last night and was flipping between MSNBC and CNN (both were talking about these tapes). Access Hollywood did a survey and over 50% of the people said they'd still go see his movies! :eek: They were saying she shouldn't have taped him (imagine if she hadn't, would people have believed her) and that she was pushing his buttons and making him react that way :confused:. You can make someone scream racist, misogynistic (sp), threatening comments? Who knew? There are also claims he knocked 2 of her teeth out (there is a dentist who promised her to keep it quiet) while she was holding the baby.

I didn't know this either, but she's a pretty talented singer-wrote one of Josh Groban's hits, so all these claims that it's all about the money I think are just a defense reaction. Apparently it all started when she wouldn't let him see the baby on Father's Day. Her claim is that he hasn't paid any child support yet and she filed for an order of protection-so visitation is quite difficult.

Anyway, what a jerk! I wouldn't be able to sit through a movie and just pretend I'd never heard these comments. I also feel badly for his six kids from his 1st wife-imagine having to hear your father in such a downward spiral on the news every 2 minutes.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2010

Oh, I imagine he's done in my home. I know a percentage of Hollywood, and the population in general, sadly behaves in a similar manner, but it all truly makes my stomach do a little flip. I didn't realize people were coming to his defense. Unbelievable. He apparently hit her while she was holding their child, broke two of her teeth, and equally as damaging verbally assualted her...he didn't deny the first two items things during this phone call, and he can't deny the latter. His repetitive use of the C word is absolutely repulsive, and his continued references to oral sex make me scream inside. And the bat to her head? And the rose garden? And his panting? He's a disturbed individual, and it both angers and saddens me.

She is right. He needs help.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2010

When she referenced it his exact words were "you deserved it!". :eek: I definitely think if it wasn't him (and it really sounds like him) he would have stepped up and denied it right away. They said he probably wouldn't make a public apology because that would be legally acknowledging it and making it easier to press charges against him.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2010

Yes, that's correct...I forget he told her that. Wow.

Honestly, I don't need or want a public apology. He didn't hurt me. Sickened me, yes. But he needs to right things with himself, his family and friends, and his spiritual life...which he supposedly values greatly. :unsure:

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2010

I have heard he suffers from Bi-polar. Has anyone else heard this? Having family members who have suffered from this, I can relate to the behavior he has shown. If that is the case, I hope he gets the medical help he needs. We can throw out all kinds of nasty remarks about him and how awful he acted (which is true), but if he really has a mental illness, we need to be less judgemental and more understanding of mental illnesses. He was always my favorite actor. It's all so sad.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2010

Oh, I think he needs medical help...there is no question.

But less judgmental? It's the big, nasy J word again. I'll leave it alone, I guess...

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2010

Mel has a lot of rage built up and what he is saying is terrible
    BUT
    just what has the girlfriend done to him? We have not heard the whole story.
    What has she said when the recorder was off?
    It seems to be a setup to me she knows what buttons to push and she is "pounding" them.
    Mel does need some anger management

I belong to a father's rights group and I have seen this ploy before. And Mel has walked right into it.

And it is BS that she did not release the recording

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2010

I completely agree. There is too much we don't know at this point.

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2010

Child support and child visitation are two different things and never should be connected in most decrees there is no connection "if one parent doesn't pay they can't have visitation "

25. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2010

It's just the "experts" speculating at this point-Dr. Drew and other consultants. There's nothing concrete-they are also saying he's an alcoholic and a narcissist-but it's people guessing from what they've observed. I think the good part about all this is people are talking about it and how to help loved ones in this same circumstance.

Dave-I agree there are 2 sides and it's unfortunate for him that he's famous and suddenly all over every news station. But in my opinion, there's nothing that would make it right for someone to talk to someone else that way. The words that just came pouring out-the racial slurs, the insults-you have to talk that way in your daily life for that to just come out so easily-even if your buttons have been pushed. No matter what she said before she hit record-it isn't right to talk to another human being that way. I've been really angry at people before-I've never spoken to someone like that.

I'm sure either she or her lawyers leaked it, but honestly-I don't blame her. When someone's famous they tend to get more breaks (especially from the law-look at Lindsay Lohan)-the only way to win this one was in the court of public opinion.

With the custody thing-I wasn't justifying the lack of visitation at all, just giving an explanation of what could have set him off.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2010

I don't care if this woman is bat crap crazy, and in fact she likely is and I'm sure we'll be treated to some of that during the coming months...but what has spewed from Mel's mouth makes up some of the most vile, disturbing things I've ever heard. He doesn't need lessons in anger management so much as he does intense therapy.