Meetings during summer vacation? On a Saturday?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kidsandpups, Aug 11, 2009.

1. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Aug 11, 2009

We just hired a new middle school teacher so the principal wants to have a meeting with all of us before school starts to address several issues. I completely agree with this. However, I work a full time job during the summer as a nanny and none of my colleagues work. They decided that since I was unavailable during the day and one teacher "can't" get a babysitter in the evening that we need to have the meeting on a SATURDAY! I suggested if they wait a few days I probably can get a day off or that I would come in any night after I get done at work. Just because I work and they don't I have to give up a Saturday? (It's going to be a long meeting.) I don't think this is reasonable at all.

I've also been asked by another teacher to set up a Saturday or Sunday where she, her boyfriend, my husband and I will go to the school and set-up/fix-up/maintain/etc. the computer lab. (Small Catholic school with no tech people.) Her boyfriend and my husband are involved because they're computer engineers and are about the only ones who can keep the lab running. If we don't do it no one else will and the kids will have no functional computer lab.

BTW: This is all unpaid almost mandatory volunteering of course.

I guess I'll try to have this all happen on the same day so I don't kill too many weekend days. I'll have to suck it up and deal but am I unjustified at being upset? :(

3. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I think it depends on the culture of the school.

At my little private school we are expected to contribute whenever it is required - I've come in on Sunday to clean the place up, I've gone in on weekends to work on the lab, and I've met with parents at 8:30 at night, but I knew this going in. The job (at least at our school) of an independent school teacher doesn't end at 3:00.

That being said, if it isn't "normal" for people to donate time (think about your colleagues - do they give time for various school related activities?) then you may be "justified" in feeling upset, but again, that emotion may not be your best bet :)

If it's a few weekends a year, I suggest shrugging it off. If it's constant, and not in the "culture" of the school talk to your principal. If it's constant, and well within the culture of the school, decide if this is where you want to work.

If you're in a public school, I suspect your contract prevents all this from happening - check if it has an hours of work clause, or vacation clause, or something. If it's a private school, ask yourself how much the working relationship with your principal and colleagues mean before you decide that you don't want to come in.

But, that's just my 2 cents...

4. bmault

bmault Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Tell him to email you the topics discussed. Still unclear as to why the meeting is needed in the first place. Is it due to small school?

5. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I think your more then welcome to be upset because it's no fun to have a weekend meeting. However, I work at a small Catholic school and we all do what it takes to get the job done which often means we meet at night or have things on the weekends. Sunday is our school supply drop off so the students can bring their supplies early, while its not mandatory for us to go but if my students are going to get into my room then I need to be there.

6. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I don't want people to think I don't do my share. Honestly I feel like actual teaching is my secondary job at the school with the majority of my time doing all the extra stuff that other people won't do like advising clubs, setting up technology, directing plays, etc. I'm there every day in the building for at least 9 hours and then work countless hours at nights and weekends. There's no way that I'm not being "normal" and not doing what's needed or my share. I'm doing at least three people's shares.

The meeting is necessary because there is a new teacher and we have to decide on things like the schedule, discipline and homework policies, duty schedules, etc. I'm not against the meeting, I just need the weekends to revive for another week.

7. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I wasn't intending to suggest you weren't doing your share, I was simply suggesting that if this IS the culture of the school (work when required, move your life around for the school), you should decide if that's how you want to spend your time :)

I love my job - extra time and all - and wouldn't trade it for the world, but I knew what I was getting myself into when I started.

Since you're doing more than others, approach your principal and ask him to assign someone else to some of your jobs, or tell him you don't have the time. I've had to say "I can't do that, I'm already doing xyz" before, and everyone was supportive.

Since you clarified your post to say that you already do a lot, then I suggest attending the meetings, because who wants to cause waves in a small school, but think about how you can lighten your load during the year. Be polite but firm in what you can and cannot accomplish.