Meeting with the Principal

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lilianajones, Feb 25, 2012.

1. lilianajones

lilianajones New Member

Feb 25, 2012

Hi folks!!

I am working a long-term sub position (kindergarten) until June. I was offered the position in January but never signed a contract or formally discussed what my expectations and responsibilities were. I accepted the position during a ten-minute meeting with the principal and hit the ground running. I do pretty much everything the other teachers do. Although it has been very challenging, I love what I do! This experience has served to confirm my desire to be a great and inspiring teacher.
    I would love to become part of the staff in this school. I was thinking of requesting a short meeting with the principal to discuss my performance and to express my interest in future positions. I am not sure if the teacher I am subbing for is going to return in the fall (no one talks about it)...I heard she was "encouraged" to retire.
    Is it even a good idea to request a meeting with the principal? If it is, how do I go about making this meeting constructive and positive? I want to make a good impression and give off the right vibe but I am a little uncertain about the appropriate questions and topics to bring up. Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks a million!!!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 25, 2012

I would definitely request a meeting-I don't think you have anything to lose by doing that. Even if they don't have an idea for sure what openings they will have, you would be on their minds when they considered applicants. You might want to bring an official resume/portfolio to leave with them, showing you are serious.

We've hired people who were in your exact situation. The admin was happy to hire a familiar face and knew in advance what kind of teaching style, work ethic, etc. that they had.

4. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 26, 2012

I agree with PP. Definitely ask for the meeting, and take the approach of "how am I doing?" and go from there. If anything you will gain valuable input from the principal on what you are doing well and not so well at.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2012

I would agree, ask for the meeting. At this time, you could also ask for a letter of recommendation for you when you are applying elsewhere as well.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 27, 2012

This:2cents:

7. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Feb 27, 2012

I would meet with the principal as well, even offer to teach an observed lesson to help them see what a great teacher you are!

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 27, 2012

Do it. You need to look out for yourself. (Especially in this economy!)