Meeting with superintendent and offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Nov 14, 2018.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2018

Haven't been here in a while. I've been hiding out and teaching online. But my local school district, falls in the category of dream District, had a couple of positions posted for special ed teacher. So I applied. Today they gave me an offer. I have to meet with the superintendent to negotiate and sign a letter of intent to hire.

I have never done anything like that before ...I'm not entirely sure what I can expect from that meeting. Can anyone help me?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2018

It’s pretty much a formality. Congratulations!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2018

How likely is it that I will have a chance to negotiate salary? The contract says I shoukd be paid for my years of experience and my education....but no other school has. If they offer me 1st year BA teacher pay I wont be able to afford the job. (I have 7 years contract experience and a MA+20)

5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 16, 2018

Whenever I have switched districts, I was given credit for my education, but I had to start at a lower step.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 16, 2018

That’s just wrong that they would not abide by their own contract and I would tactfully state as such. They need to honor the contract and pay you a fair wage that is commensurate with your education level and experience.

Be ready to decline if they offer you 1st-year pay. Don’t budge on this.

I make great money because I negotiate and continue to do so. If my employer, for whatever reason, suddenly reneged on our agreement and tried to pay me less pay or freeze my salary where it is, then I would resign and seek employment elsewhere.