meeting with principal...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Jan 6, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

He asked to meet with me today after school to go over some things for the new semester. I'm kinda nervous about it...
    Ever since I got a bad review from that department head...I've been dreading any kind of meeting.
    I saw him looking in my class today...as we were watching a 20 min video on human genome...ugh.
    I wanted to talk to him now since I am on break...but he is in a meeting with the 3 assistant principals.
    :(

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2009

Stay positive!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2009

st-I'll be thinking about you today. I know that any kind of meeting with the principal can put us on edge, especially if you've had any kind of run in with one before. I know that I am very wary of principals since my last one stunk and had it in for several teachers. But just try to remember that he's human just like you.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

Thanks...ugh...time is dragging...I just want to get it over with!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2009

How did it go?

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

:(

He said I didn't have a successful semester...and lots of kids asked to be moved out of my class...

He made me sign a paper saying that I would do certain things to prove I will be successful this semester. Do things like submit lesson plans to department head every other day...observe her classes...monitor the class better...things like that.

He said not to take this badly...just want to see me improve b/c he knows I am a good teacher.

I just feel like sh!t :(

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2009

I'm so sorry!!

It sounds, though, as though he DOES want you to succeed, and as though the suggested practical ways to help.

We read so many posts here about teachers who feel harassed by their principals; it sounds as though yours is on your side.

Still, though, I wouldn't blame you if you resorted to Ice Cream therapy.

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2009

We all know that as teachers, we need to seek improvement. I agree that it's a blow when the spotlight is put on you for needing improvement. I think you should be happy that he's not letting you slip through the cracks so to speak and that he's wanting to see you improve and succeed. I think we've all heard horror stories of teachers not having their contracts renewed and it came as a surprise because they had no idea the principal had issues with them. Take it as a challenge and blow him out of the water. :)

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I did seek some ice cream therapy...-sigh- now off to the dealership! blah

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 6, 2009

:hugs: We know you're a great teacher st. You'll just have to make sure you document each step you take.

Ice cream therapy sounds interesting. Maybe I should do some research on that....

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 6, 2009

I would be encouraged that he have you some ideas to improve. The alternative would be to spring it on you at the end of the year when they did not renew your contract.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

Don't feel so bad, since you're new, you're not supposed to know everything.

Taking constructive criticism is hard but be glad they gave you some specifics on what and how to improve. Use it as an opportunity to become the teacher you want to be. And, he told you not to take it badly, so don't!!!

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

I know...it just seems like today everything is going wrong. I had at least 3 students...cheerfully...tell me that they were no longer in my class. Darn. It still hurts though...but might be other things playing into my emotions.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 6, 2009

st - I agree, it is hard to take the criticism. I have to admit, it gets easier over time.

I think your P sounds great, truly. He gave you concrete ways to improve so do your best and you will probably surprise even yourself. Probably the biggest issue is classroom management. Once that is down, you will be more successful engaging the students and bringing in ideas that will hook them. Biology is a tough course to teach - is it required at your school? Some of those required sciences are tough.

By all means, try to view it as a chance to grow. I think everything the P. asked you to do sounds reasonable and will be helpful to you. I would even suggest taking some personal time off to go visit some other schools and observe other teachers for ideas. We all learn so much from each other. You are going to do great. I am just so thankful you have a P. who is doing his job - helping you to grow as a teacher, rather than just criticising. Those kind of P.s are gems - though I know it is so tough to take the criticism. You are a good person, a good teacher, and a learning teacher. You are good!

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

Thank you. I know he is just trying to help...and I want to be better...I'm just wallowing in self pity at the moment.
    Biology is required...and a freshman course. I also teach anatomy...which is junior/senior level. That is an elective.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

ST- I am sorry girl but I agree with the others that at least you know. He outlined what you need to do and now you need to do it.

Did anything come as a big surprise? Did you feel you disagreed with a lot he said? Do you know why the students wanted to move out of your class? Did you know any of that before hand?

:hugs:

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

I figured a talk was coming due to the review from department head.
    I agree that I need to work on things. I DO want to be better.
    I thought maybe a couple may have asked to be moved out b/c I called their parents a lot...but he said many of them asked to be pulled out. That really shocked me. Made me feel like a really horrible teacher.
    Another teacher said this morning that 2 of my previous students were saying really mean things about me. He said he knocked them down real quick.
    That was the start of my morning...then I got the email.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2009

:hugs: st. I know that you are a great teacher. What stinks is that the evaluation is done on one day giving them just a snapshot of your teaching. What if that was a bad day? Will the P be doing an evaluation later on this semester? I'm glad that he sounds supportive. Just make sure that you do everything he outlined for you, and document what you do. This semester will be better!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2009

And don't forget the healing power of that ice cream!!!!

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 6, 2009

With hot fudge.

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 6, 2009

Thanks again :)

23. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2009

Scienceteach, is the issue classroom management? (I am inferring, perhaps incorrectly, because of the number of students who wish to leave the class.) If so, what is the plan for helping you with that?

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 6, 2009

Ask your P to come around from time to time and pop in on you. S/he will get a betting picture of what you are doing and how you are improving over time. You may want to consider scheduling follow up meetings with the P about how you are improving, what still needs work, and a plan (with practical suggestions) for meeting whatever goals are set. If nothing else, it shows you are trying and willing to take suggestions. That always makes you look better later on at review time.

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

At least you have someone who is willing to work with you. I would recommend, not listening to anything negative from other teachers. If they come to you to tell that the students were talking about you, tell them that you rather not hear it. Take advantage of observing other teachers, take notes while observing, go home and evaluate how you can implement these practices in your class, and do them. Finally document these things that are being done and do a self-evaluation as well as asking the P and the department head to observe you along the way. As for the students, don't stress too much over them not wanting to be in your class.

26. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2009

At least your principal was there to help. Mine, NOT even!!!! Then tells me at the end of the year I have no choice but to give you a choice walk or be walked out. She hated me from day one! Why hire me? She was forced too by the asst super for a position that they knew I really didn't want to take. So I suffered through it and did a great job. Got moved to a new grade level and she looked for ways to get rid of me. I knew it was coming all along. She did absolutely nothing to help me improve as a basically a first year kinder teacher. Anyway good luck!

27. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

The issue was not classroom management...but me not actively involving them as much. They wanted to see more excitement...me walking around helping...that kind of thing.
    I know the students that didn't want to be there...they would never behave. I did call parents, and give detentions.

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 7, 2009

Time to pull out the acting hat. FUN FUN.

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 7, 2009

Students misbehaving is what I meant by classroom management. It is hard 1) to have students in your class who have to be there but don't want to be and 2) to implement the more creative ways of teaching when you have stinkers (esp. freshmen) sitting in the class sucking out your emotional energy.

Three ideas:
    1) Absolutely get those supervisors to come in about once a week to take a peek. They can give you tips as you go. It is awkward at first but truly gets easier having someone in your classroom if it is more often.

2)Keep some kind of journal each day showing which goals you worked on that day and how successful they were.

3)Then I would teach to the kids who are willing. For a short time, have 2 sets of plans. Teach the lesson, provide a "fun" or different application of the lesson for those who are behaving. For the rest, give them a review sheet to work on with their books. Once they start missing out on some of the hands on experiments, etc, they should start getting their behinds in gear and produce! You might give them a heads up so they can make the choice. Like if you get your name on the board for unruly or rude behavior, oops, you will be doing seat work while the rest of the class gets to do the hands on stuff.

I taught biology for a couple of years and it was really tough. I was not very good at it. But any time I brought in something a little different, the kids really snapped to and enjoyed the class.

30. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

Thanks for the ideas :)

31. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

I don't know if this idea has been mentioned, but if you don't have a mentor already, find another science teacher you can buddy up with. Of course, truly learn from them, but it will definitely look good that you're seeking help and if y'all develop a good professional relationship, you'll have a person in your court.

32. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

My mentor is the deparment head...

33. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 7, 2009

Sometimes your "assigned" mentor isn't your real mentor. Is there someone else in the dept. who you admire as a teacher? Or someone at a different school?

Hope today is better. Do you have experience with teachers you admired or enjoyed in the past? If so, you could draw on those experiences and apply some of that to your classroom. sigh. It is tough to get criticized, but I am thankful your P. is giving you concrete guidelines. I have seen many first-3rd year teachers just run off or let go, simply because the P. did not take an interest or the time to actually guide the teacher.

34. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

I love my Plant Taxonomy prof in college. He LOVED his job...LOVED plants. He made the class so fun that I took every class he taught! lol Luckily they all counted in my major.
    He is in a different state now :(
    I know they want me to do well..and I'm glad! It just was hard my first day back.

35. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 7, 2009

Can you email him? I bet he'd remember you and probably have soem great suggestions!! I have found my past professors to be great sources of support!!

36. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 7, 2009

Past profs are always SO happy to hear from their students! Truly.