Meeting w/ Principal -- Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 15, 2007.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2007

Tomorrow I will casually "drop in" to visit the principal at a school where I would love to teach. This school happens to have a 5th grade SS teacher opening (teacher retired). A friend of mine already teaches there, and she found out that he will definitely be there tomorrow. I met him at a parish job fair, where he received my resume, test and class transcripts, and personal brochure. After the job fair, I sent him a thank you note for our warm and informative conversation. During the last week of school, I called to try to set up an appointment, but he could not speak with me at the time. The first week after school ended, I dropped by the school one day, but he was not in -- however, he had left the message that he had not had the chance to work on his open positions yet. So anyway, I have my portfolio, such as it is, with extra copies of my resume, et. al. Because this is a casual "drop-in," I am not going prepared for a full interview. Instead, I will be dressed in "nice casual," because this is supposed to be a spur of the moment thing, lol. What can you tell me to do/say/ask that will increase my chances of getting this position? Oh, and I have a BA in History and only have 6 hours left in the alternate certification program in which I am enrolled. I will truly, honestly, fervently be thankful for any help you can offer! :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Be prepared to answet the question about how quickly you ar going to finish the alternate route certification- you could be up against people who are certified and have experience.

Smile, be enthusiastic. Be professional and make sure you express and interest in/ ask about the available job.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Thank you, czacza, I really appreciate your response. Luckily, I only have 6 hours left to complete the program -- either 1 semester student teaching, or 2 semesters as an "intern" (full time employed teacher, with many observations and a seminar). If this was in the business sector, I would be fine. However, this is a new arena for me, and my nerves are going nuts! Thanks again!

5. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Good Luck!!

I'm planning on doing this same thing next week. I keep trying to think of ways to ask "Hey, I've been planning this casual spur of the moment drop in for two months now and was wondering if you were going to give me a job or not!" without actually saying that! :)

Let us know how it goes, I'm sure you'll do great!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning of pretending it's spur of the moment.

I would admit that you're there in the hopes of meeting the principal and expressing just how much you want to work there. I would also be dressed in my professional best.

If he asks how you knew he would be in the building, I would admit: I called my friend and badgered her best guess out of her. He'll know that you REALLy want this, and your friend is a built in character reference.

This is your shot at a great first impression. Why make it one that isn't a true picture of how badly you want the job?

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I agree that you should be dressed in your best. You are going in hopes of setting up an interview afterall. Chances are you will run into the principal today and he may have you meet with him today. I know many of us don't have many professional suits, but in this case, you need to put one one before going in today and be prepared for an interview today!! Good luck! Let us know!

8. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I would not go in there pretending.

Any seasoned professional will be able to see right through that.

In addition, if this is a school that is highly desireable, they are less likely to hire someone who isn't certified. If you are going to drop-in, be fully prepared for an interview; a casual impression will not be something that's going to push you in front of certified candidates.

9. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I agree with January Violet. even go ahead and name drop if this teacher friend is highly regarded at the school. Dress ready to interveiw...it might happen!

Be assertive!
    "Hello, I'm pwhatley, we met at the job fair. My friend Mrs. T said you would be in today so I thought I would stop by to see if you still have positions open that you will be interveiwing for. I am very interested in teaching here at Ato Z Academy and I would very much like to be concidered for a formal interveiw."

Take an extra copy of all your paper work to put in his hands again so it will be at the top of the stack!

Good-Luck!

10. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 16, 2007

In my case, I've already interviewed. He said to "stop by" this summer. Do you think I should still dress in a suit or would slacks and a nice shirt be okay?

I'm also not sure what to say when I "stop by". I don't want to seem pushy by saying "Hey, I'm stopping by, do I get the job or not!"

**SORRY to threadjack!

11. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 16, 2007

If you have already had a formal interveiw I would think nicer casual dress would be fine. By all means stop by to chat with him again. Be honest...just ask him where you stand in the hiring process! Making yourself visiable will keep you fresh in his mind. Go soon! If he's not ready to make a decision he'll tell you to check back again! By showing up..even several times...let's him know your interested and determined!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2007

USMCTCHR: No problem -- I learn from ALL questions and answers, lol!

I am not going in jeans, and have not planned it to be a totally "put-upon" meeting. The temperature here in July has been hovering around 94, so I have been informed (by other teachers and admininistrators) that nice slacks and a nice blouse will be more appropriate than a full suit, as a person would be completely miserable in a suit! I honestly had thought about presenting the occasion as a "casual drop-in," and I understand the reasoning behind not doing it that way. Since it didn't work out Monday (he was already gone for the day, through Thursday), I am going tomorrow (Friday) morning to the school yet again. This is an elementary and middle school, and is the only one in the parish that does not require uniforms. It is semi-rural, and has a large population of families below the poverty level. I am interested in this position for a number of reasons: 1. I will have the opportunity to work with a wide variety of students (all 5th grade) 2. I have heard that the principal is FABULOUS 3. The position is a 5th grade Social Studies teacher, and my BA is in history, so perfect fit! I plan to emphasize all three of those points when I meet with the principal. I appreciate all of your ideas and support, and welcome any other ideas you may have!

13. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

Good luck P! I hope you get it!!

Remember to send a Thank You letter early next week to thank him for taking time out of his busy schedule to talk with you!

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2007

Absolutely, BMAK! I'm one of those old fashioned people who actually believe in thank you notes, Christmas cards, RSVP'ing in a timely manner, etc. My daughter hated it each birthday from her 6th on, because I made her write thank you notes!

Thanks for the good thoughts! I'm trying to get stuff together so I can knock his socks off with my ideas!

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 19, 2007

Good luck! I would still go in very professional dress though, as others have said. It may be 94 and humid, but you are trying to make an impression and let them know you are serious.

16. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I agree with being honest and prepared for a full interview (just in case) and dress the part.

Good luck!

17. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 20, 2007

Good luck!!

Let us know how it goes! :)

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2007

Thanks! Y'all keep your fingers crossed!

19. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

hope it works out great for you! we are all thinking about you.

20. WindyCityGal606

Jul 20, 2007

We're eager to find out how it goes!!! Come back with good news!!

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2007

I guess no news is better than bad news...

This is what I get for trying to "pop in" on someone unannounced. I got to the school right at 8:30. Guess what? He wasn't there. Okay, so I chatted with the very nice custodian, who had spoken with the principal earlier this week, and had been told that he would be in today. Hmmmm. Let the custodian do his job while I waited in the car for a while. Still no principal. It is now 10:25, and I just got home, and the school is 5 minutes away. I ended up leaving a "sticky" note on his office door, giving my name, phone number, and the fact that I am interested in the 5th grade social studies position. I feel like a broken record! I don't want the guy to think I am a stalker, lol, but that's almost what I feel like! I am so bummed. Oh, well, I guess it is back to wait and see mode. Thanks for all of your good thoughts! I really appreciate them.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

So now what? Since you're dressed and have the protfolio cleaned up and extra resume copies why don't you do a 'fly by' of other schools in the area?

23. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

this time of year principals are very hard to get a hold of. they are in and out and i know at my school our principal does not have to even be there yet. then when they are required to go back they have district meetings and they are still in and out. the pop in thing is just hard but i admire your dedication.
    he won't think you are a stalker....he will think you really want the job. maybe he isn't ready to hire someone yet. maybe he is still looking at numbers for the year. maybe he has a million other things on his mind and is just busy.
    don't over think! you are doing all the right things. keep it up something will come your way!
    good luck

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2007

Okay, better now. I read my earlier post and realized how whiny it was, so I put my shoes back on and went to visit 4 other schools in the area. No one was at any of them (except one, and they were installing some tile). I spent over 25 years in the business and service industries, and generally, job hunting has not been a problem in the past. For some reason, I feel as if I have entered a country in which I cannot speak the language, and know no translators! The way things are done in the education arena are so foreign to me! I am used to jobs being posted when they are open, interviews given during a prescribed period of time (days/weeks), etc. This summer, I have been informed of open positions that were not posted, but did exist, checked on jobs that were listed, but apparently have already closed, and can't seem to find anyone anywhere to speak to, other than custodial staff! It is frustrating to me. Oh, well, I'm kicking myself in the rear, dusting myself off, and I'll start all over Monday! I have decided I am going to have a fabulous weekend -- after all, I'll be seeing my gorgeous grandson! Thanks again for all of your prayers and advice, I really do appreciate it.

25. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 20, 2007

Sorry things are not going so well but hang in there! It's not unusual to be hired a day before school starts or even after the official counts go in sometime late Sept. or early Oct. when I changed districts I had to hold out to the end and then I got to take my pick from positions at two different schools. I only had 3 days to move in my stuff. Hardly anything was on the walls and things were still in boxes at the back of the room but I had a job! I've crossed my fingers for you and I'll add a prayer! Good -Luck and keep us posted!

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

DITTO!! You know, we must be tripletts!

No interview is a casual interview! Treat every chance to get a job for what it is, a chance to get a job.

I went to Target dressed in summer garb, T-shirt, shorts, no socks..nikes. Thought I could just do the computer application on kiosk. I just briefly said hello to manager on floor. Looking for part time work, nights.

She told me to complete new application - they are unique to each store! And when I was finished, told me to come back and took my number!

I should listen to my own advice! Next time I leave the house, I will have decent change of clothes in car.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression! :love:

Have a 'star' response. Situation, task, achievement and your response. Be a problem solver. Say, if you can't do it, you will admit this and ask for help!

Now, get outta here..and go search some 'interview questions' websites.

And blow the dust off your iron, and get out a skirt or nice dress!

LOL-lots of love
    mpk

27. WindyCityGal606

Jul 20, 2007

Did you get the job at Target?

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

exactly!

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

Thanks for asking...don't know yet.

That was the second store. I also did online application for Walgreens. Went back in the store and did assessment at kiosk. This, BTW, is a little insane, because they have music blarring like crazy in the background. Guess that's best way to test if you can subtract during distractions!

I called three stores today. Two took my name and number! They expect their college kids to go back to school soon! So, they will start looking to hire in August! That will be perfect, because they are open 24hrs.

I could use a discount on drugs!

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

well, I hope you are waitng in a dress! You never know, they may call you back sooner than you think!

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

sorry you are so down...and sorry I am coming in so late!

Are you checking your school's web pages? Are you covering all bases? Public, private, etc. Do you have a boundary you are keeping?? Step a little outside your comfort zone.

I subbed in Indiana! Just cross the street, and wow...a whole new state!

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

it's okay..we are all repeat offenders to threadjacking!

same rules apply to you too...just read along...

Dress up or don't go! Follow other posters advice. Say you want the job!

just my opinion!