Meet the Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 21, 2020.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2020

Despite students beginning their school year with Distance Learning, we would like to still have a (masked) Meet the Teacher day for students so they can pick up their device, ELA & Math consumables, and anything else their teacher needs to give them.

My question to you is how to schedule this. Should we do one grade-level per day? For example, all kindergarteners come on Monday anytime between 9-2, first graders come on Tuesday, etc.

Again, this is a quick in and out type of thing. No presentation from the teacher--simply a device and supply pick up and a chance for the teacher, parent, and student to match faces to names.

Typically, this is a huge event for us. We have food trucks, backpack giveaways, and it's a big family event.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 21, 2020

Having one grade level per day could really be a problem for parents with multiple children in various grades. Would a parent with a kinder, 2nd grader and 5th grader have to come back 3 different times? They would have to bring all three kids each time, more than likely.

I would suggest alpha letters for last names, but then you could still have the problem of multiple last names in the same family, and it would mean all teachers would have to be there at all times -- again, that could be an issue, too.

I also wonder, do you really want 28 2nd graders and their parents all showing up in the classroom at the same time? Might it not be better to have only 1/4 of the students from that class come at one time, then another 1/4, and so on? Otherwise, the room could be pretty clogged with people waiting for their turn.

There is no easy answer. I hope someone else has a great idea.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2020

Not sure of your school, but let's pretend it is a K-5 school (so 6 grades)

Here is the dilemma? Mrs. Jones has 4 children. Mrs. Jones doesn't want to make 4 trips to get supplies. So what you could do is have it done by ABC order by parent. (i.e A-D last names comes to school at this time) Sound perfect? No. There is a problem. If you strictly go by this teachers might need to hang out 5 different times to meet all of their students (if that is something the school feels is a priority.) If so, possibly a simple hybrid. Here is one:

Grades K-2 (A-L) parents
    Grades K-2 (M-Z) parents
    Grades 3-5 (A-L) parents
    Grades 3-5 (M-Z) parents

This way parents would only have to make a maximum of 2 trips and teachers would only have Meet and Greet twice.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2020

When we needed to have everyone come into the school to pick up belongings at the end of June, we had parents book a 15 minute time slot online. The parent and student were able to come in through an assigned door, go to classrooms, and then leave promptly. Our office assistant made announcements frequently to keep everyone on track. It went very smoothly.

6. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Jul 21, 2020

Our school did a drive-up situation in the spring of last year for students to get their books, devices, etc and then again at the end of the year to drop stuff off. That is what I would recommend. Depending how many teachers you have, could you give a few different teachers a time slot (like these three teachers are Monday from 10-11) and all the students in their classes come through the drive through. Everyone should still wear masks. But the teachers could (possibly with gloves on) quickly hand materials through an open window, then have the student/family roll the window up and they could briefly speak through the glass?

I really don't think it's wise to have all these families pile into teachers' classrooms. If the point of going remote is for safety, then why is it safe to make your teachers still have to interact in person with all their kids and families? And in person in a classroom, parents have the tendency to want to chat and dawdle for awhile. I think the safest course of action is the drive-up/drive-through scenario. If you do anything where families are entering the school, it needs to be distanced, masked, and strict time limits to limit the time everyone is exposed to one another and limit the amount of people in one given space at a time.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2020

Drive thru is great for handing out end-of-year materials and returning devices. I believe it's impersonal for meet and greet (especially for our 4 and 5 year olds who have never been to school and are meeting a teacher for the very first time). Plus, we're handing out a lot of things (consumable workbooks for every subject for the entire year in case we don't return).

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2020

It's tough to suggest ideas without knowing your community and demographics. So, I'm making these suggestions based only on my own experiences, I suppose. This may not work for your school.

Personally, I don't believe that having a face-to-face, in school meet and greet for the sake of being personal is appropriate, given your district's decision to do distance learning and the health risks. If I were a teacher in your school who was required to come in for this, I'd be very upset. I do think that there are other ways to accomplish your goals. They're not as ideal, but they are safe and allow for passing out materials and meeting the teacher/student/parent.

I would recommend that you have teachers do 1:1 virtual meet and greets (via video conferencing or phone) with each family. Then a) have a curbside pick up for materials, or b) have teachers drop off materials at each family's house, leaving the materials at the doorstep, and waving from the street. You can use sign-up genius or another online sign up tool to facilitate both the virtual meet and greets and also the material pick-up/delivery to make sure that everyone has an assigned time-slot.

It is sad that young children won't get to be with their teachers, meeting them face to face, especially if school is a new concept to them, but I don't think that a single brief meet and greet will make up for that anyway. So why put everyone's health and safety at risk when there are other ways?

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 21, 2020

I have to say, I agree. If it isn't safe to do in-person instruction, then it isn't safe to do "meet the teacher" night.

Meet the teacher night includes way more than just one teacher and her/his students. Parents come as well. So do siblings. Sometimes even extended family come. If the student is from a split home, then two sets of parents/step parents come. It is always crowded, younger siblings are always brought and they run wild in the classroom, touching everything in sight.

In my opinion, it just isn't appropriate. If it isn't safe for in-person instruction, it certainly isn't safe for the "meet the teacher" crowd, even if you do find some way to reduce the numbers. It is still just too risky.

Stick to a pick-up car line for essentials, and leave the "meet the teacher" to a Zoom-style contact (using whatever platform your district prefers).

stargirl and bella84 like this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2020

If your school district chose to begin with virtual learning, it is not appropriate to host an event like this in school. Even though it is intended to be a quick “in and out” event, many parents/kids will stay longer and likely will not social distance. An event like this could lead to increased spread. As a teacher, I would feel very uncomfortable meeting any family members face to face.

I would do a car pick up for supplies and have the meet the teacher event over zoom.

stargirl and bella84 like this.
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2020

I just read an email from our superintendent that states he would like uniformity among the sites, so we will be doing a drive thru pick up of supplies and students can meet their teachers at that time. Thanks, all, for the feedback. It’s nice to see things through different lenses.

Tired Teacher, bella84 and RainStorm like this.
  12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2020

We are not having back to school night. We called all of our first period kids. Told them about the schedules and new start date. Asked if they were doing the hybrid schedule or the fully online version. Made sure there were no errors, like a sibling being on the opposite schedule. Asked if they had internet at home and if they were riding a bus. We answered questions. Some wanted to know about mask types. We discussed supplies.

All of the people I talked to were really nice. One kid knew what the questions were because she said, “my sister and I are both coming to school, we ride the bus, and we have internet.” I’m thinking her sister’s teacher had just called.

Our kids will get their Chromebooks when they get to school, but I’m not sure when the online only kids get theirs. They’re using the Edgenuity program, so they aren’t actually part of our classrooms.

We are 1:1 in grades 6 to 12. We don’t really have other materials except for the kids who don’t have internet.

13. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jul 22, 2020

Ahhh... uniformity. I'm hearing a lot of that. On one hand, I get it. There's an interest in controlling the situation and presenting an united front and making sure things are equal. However, I feel so hand tied already. There's talk here about having to plan lessons as a team and use the same ones when virtual, like we were instructed at the end of last year. We're likely going to be required to stay in lock step with pacing. I am going to lose my mind. I'm capable of more if permitted! I know some are used to be controlled like this, but I'm not and I don't like it. I'm going to be limited to the lowest level of computer skills on staff. I'm going to be forced to blow through fraction units I usually dwell on to expand conceptual understanding at a unit fraction level before speeding up with those cornerstones in place. Etc. Sorry about this vent. But, I do feel better saying those ugly, whiney thoughts that I can't voice elsewhere. We'll just have to figure it out!

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2020

CherryOak, this might be one of the most important posts ever. If I could give it 10 thumbs up, I would. I don't think administrators realize there is nothing that hurts students more than stopping your top teachers from using their talents they have developed over the years. Instead of helping the struggling teachers, we now must do what they are doing? You pay me double a starting teacher's salary and want me to do the same lessons as a first year teacher? Conformity=low expectations. Could you imagine, this in sports? "Enough with the fancy moves Michael Jordan. No one else can dunk like that so everyone must stop doing that." No less silly than requiring all 4th grade teachers to do the same lesson plans. Administrators, our job is not to make your job easier. It is develop our skills to the highest level to help children. Oh Cherry Oak, I so understand your frustrations.

Tired Teacher and CherryOak like this.
  15. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Jul 22, 2020

I think impersonal is better than unsafe. Just my opinion. This is one back to school, one school year, and we're in the middle of a deadly pandemic. Things aren't going to be ideal right now. Glad to see it appears you are all doing drive-thru.

16. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jul 22, 2020

I have to agree. OUr admin in our district decided that all AP students would do the preplanned lesson plans, instead of letting teachers do their own thing. And the reason--some of the AP teachers couldn't figure out how to make their stuff digital. So my students went from daily socratic seminars on our readings and in depth analysis to filling out basic comma worksheets and identifying postive and negative connotation.

CherryOak and readingrules12 like this.