Meet the Teacher Suggestions Please!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by emmakate218, Aug 9, 2011.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

Hi y'all.

In June, I was hired as a teacher for a self-contained classroom for children with EBD in grades K-4 (I don't know exactly how many children I'll have and what exact grade levels). It will be my first year teaching (been certified for over 3 years, been waiting to find a teaching position) special education and my second year working with this student population (worked as an assistant in a different district with their behavior intervention program).

My school will be having "Meet the Teacher" for one hour in the late afternoon the day before school starts. I'm wondering what I should plan for this. I can only have a max of 12 students and as much as I hope to meet all the parents/guardians and students that afternoon, I don't want to get my hopes up considering the nature of the community (low SES and gangs :( ).

Any suggestions? :help:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

When we had these the day before school started, it was a time when parents dropped off supplies and we were just available to answer questions or say a quick hello.

You might want to ask other teachers what they do and how formal the event is.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 9, 2011

Our event is pretty informal as well. Last year since I was new, I obviously didn't really recognize the students that I would have, so my Principal pulled a few over to me and introduced them and told them that I'd be one of their teachers that year. I do a pull out program, so I don't have my own class. I just spent a few minutes chatting with them- a few translated for their parents (most parents at our school don't speak English). This year, I plan on just standing outside my door and chatting with whoever comes by (gen ed students that I know or my students). I know I'm getting a few new kids through in-district transfers, so I'm hoping some of them will stop by.

I like Mopar's suggestion of asking other teacher's how formal it is. In some buildings I've been in, the teacher has parent surveys and things like that set up. In our building, there isn't anything formal like that. However, as a new teacher I wouldn't want to be the only one that didn't make something if that was the norm.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

This is what I plan on doing as well. This will be my first full year at this school (I came in Nov last year) so this will be my first open house and beginning of the year. I plan on just being outside my classroom and talking to kids I know.