Meet the Teacher rules

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by corney, Aug 12, 2009.

1. corney

corney Companion

Aug 12, 2009

My daughter is going in to third grade this year.. She hates school because she struggles with reading. I have called the school to see if I can get a one on one meeting before school starts to talk a bit with the new teacher, but was shot down. Meet the teacher is on the Aug. 21st. Is it ok to ask that I have a few moments of her time at the end to talk with her a little about my daughters strengthes and weaknesses and to let her know what I'm expecting?

3. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I think I would probably ask if I could set up a conference within the next week to discuss your daughter's strengths/weaknesses. Meet the Teacher events are usually very busy and I'm sure her teacher may want to head home when done. You may also want to let her know that you're flexible as far as time so there's no pressure to meet immediately before school begins, during a prep, etc.

4. corney

corney Companion

Aug 12, 2009

"you're flexible as far as time" that's the issue, I'm not. Last year I was at the school constantly trying to get help for my daughter, I can't afford a repeat of that. I'm a single parent and work full time. Taking to much time off isn't an option. My daughter is labeled "learning disabled" I really want her teacher to be completely aware that I am an involved parent and need her to be in tune to my daughters needs and learning style. Her past teachers allowed her to fall through the cracks and develop bad habits towards learning..we are fighting an up hill battle trying to get her on grade level. I want this to be a more positive year so that school doesn't always seem like a punishment and she is more secure with her abilities.

5. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

My advice would be to schedule a meeting with the teacher 2-3 weeks after school starts. Let the teacher interact with her and make her own observations first. That way she'll get to know her without the "learning disabled" label being the forefront of her identity. I'm sure the teacher will appreciate your dedication and insight!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

Do you have the teacher's email? Maybe you could let her know your concerns and ask her to call you or let you know when the two of you could meet to talk and plan for a successful start of the year for your child.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

This would be my suggestion too. This will give the teacher the important info about your daughter and also let the teacher know you want to be active in your daughter's education. I would also suggest in addition to leaving your phone number with her teacher, you also let her know when the best time to call you. I hope everything turns out well and your daughter has a great year!

8. corney

corney Companion

Aug 14, 2009

thanks for the suggestions.. and agree it would be best for the teacher to get to know my daughter without bias. I will just let her know that I'm a very involved parent and will expect the lines of communication to be completely open. Once they get settled into their routines then we can meet and discuss her observations and a plan. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive, productive, progressive year.

9. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think it would be out of line to mention to the teacher at Meet the Teacher night that you'd like to chat with her about your daughter. Of course, you should probably say something like "I know you're very busy with school about to start, but I'd like to talk with you about my daughter. Do you have a minute now, or can I set up a time to meet with you?"

I know if I were her teacher, I wiould want to know what strategies you've found that work or a good way to relate to her. I think its important to get reluctant learners excited and comfortable from the start. I would happily give up a few minutes of my time after Meet the Teacher night.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2009

You said your daughter was labeled "learning disabled". Does she have an IEP? That will make a tremendous difference in her getting the extra help. Look into after school tutoring. Call the local high school and see if they have students who will tutor. Sometimes their students will tutor for free if they are trying to earn community service hours for scholarships. I wouldn't ask to meet with the teacher that day but I definitely would mention your concerns those 5 minutes she has to speak with you. If you don't have an IEP, she may be able to get the ball rolling. This year is especially important because if she doesn't pass the reading FCAT she will be retained. But if you can get an IEP in place, she will have accommodations to help her. Be her best advocate, keep pushing. Do you mind telling me what part of Fl you live in...I may be able to get more specific info for you.

11. corney

corney Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Thank you both for your added comments. I'm in Levy County FL, my daughter does have an IEP. I had a HS student do some summer tutoring but I'm not so sure it helped. Because I don't qualify for free or reduced lunch I'm not able to get a tutor without paying a lot of $$, which I don't have. This is why I want to discuss some things with her teacher during Meet the teacher time.. I will ask for a few moments of her time to discuss some high points but realize it's not the time for a full blown meeting.. I will schedule that after they get settled in to the daily routine, and will have the ESE teacher present during that meeting as well.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Reading and writing are her major weaknesses.

12. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

Even though the Meet the Teacher nights are jam packed with parents and students trying to Meet the Teacher, it is a time to start that connection between teacher and family. I would definitely ask for a few brief moments at the end of the night to give a brief overview of your concerns with your student (reading and writing in your case). Then mention that you would like to schedule a meeting in a week or so, this way the teacher has time to work with your daughter and make her own observations. That way when you do meet up, you both have informed information and evidence to decide what "next steps" need to be taken. The teacher will know that she is "learning disabled" before you talk to her because that information is commonly shared between teachers. Hope this helps!

13. corney

corney Companion

Aug 17, 2009

I'll feel out the situation and see what I encounter.. the last two meet the teachers I went to didn't have a big attendence, so I'm purposely going to wait till later in the day to visit. That way she isn't over whelmed and all the other parents get their time too.. Thanks for all the input.. it's great to actually hear from other teachers.. :)

14. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

Just make sure you don't wait too long! If there are set times for Meet the Teacher, if you plan on having a detailed convo - just don't do it 5 minutes before it's over....I had a parent keep me 45 minutes past time last year. :down:

15. corney

corney Companion

Aug 18, 2009

:) I'll keep that in mind.

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

I would say to wait until the end of the first week of school. Please do because you want the teacher to get to know your daughter first. There is nothing worse than being backed into a corner before school starts or after a back to school night by a parent wanting to talk about their child when there are 40 other parents there... Sorry I sound harsh, but this is from experience. I love that you are advocating for your child and that you are being so proactive, but please give it a few days and then make a private appointment with her. :)