Meet the Teacher night?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Mrs. Q, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

Our Open House/Meet the Teacher night is the week after school starts. Should I have something there for the parents?? What do you guys usually do?

The teacher before me had packets made about the benefits of high school journalism, so I'm putting those out for them to pick up. I thought about making extra copies of the syllabus, grade requirements, etc. in case they don't make it home to parents?? And then a sign-in sheet so kids can get extra credit for coming.

Anything else? I teach journalism (mostly freshmen), newspaper (juniors & seniors) and yearbook (mostly sophomores & juniors).

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 17, 2010

In addition to the syllabus, etc., definitely have out copies of your old yearbooks or newspapers.

This should also be a BIG night for your staff to sell, sell, sell! Have them come out in staff shirts, and push those books! Strategically place staff members all over the campus to sell. You might even offer a $5.00 discount if yearbooks are purchased at Open House.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2010

I have free business cards from Vistaprint that list every conceivable way to contact me; I put those out for parents and they're usually well received.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

Thanks, bandnerd! I already have this year's order forms printed, I just need to make copies -- and the books came in today, so I can show them (although we don't have many extras to sell). The book is $5 cheaper until October 1st, so I will definitely try to sell it that night. Maybe some of my senior staffers can come and help out.

6. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

Mrs. K -- I just ordered free business cards, hopefully they'll be in by then!

7. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

Last year I gave parents an index card when they came in and asked them to write one thing about their student. It went over well and gave the early arrivals something to do while we waited to see if anyone else would show up. We are also supposed to give out a syllabus, although I usually try to make a 1-page "highlights" sheet as opposed to the 5-6 pages I give the students (which the parents should have already seen.) Our back-to-school is closer to the end of September; when I taught 9th I had them write letters to their parents about what they were learning.

Our school "runs the schedule" at Parents' Night; each class gets 15-20 minutes and the parents are SUPPOSED to go in order to each class. If your school runs that way - be prepared for people to show up at random times because their kid has lunch or gym or something and they don't have anyplace to be. Also, with the big kids, a lot of times the parents won't even come, though maybe this is just my district. Last year my most-attended class had about 5. You might want to ask around about attendance before you make 180 copies of your handouts!

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 18, 2010

Good ideas, dovian!!

I only teach about 45 kids total, so that wouldn't be TOO many wasted handouts... but I'll ask about attendance anyway.

9. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

May 16, 2011

I prepare envelopes of handouts for each parent, each containing: -a welcome letter that gives a few details about me and where I can be contacted
    -a condensed syllabus covering the units our class will cover
    -a materials list (and the order form for my PE class' gym uniforms)
    -a sample evaluation grid that I use for tests and writing assignments
    -a sample fitness testing evaluation form for my PE kids
    -order forms for school "Spirit Wear"
    -a copy of the student's first writing assignment for the year (come midterm interview season, I provide parents with a later assignment to compare them)
    -any other paperwork that I manage to think of that would be on interest :)

10. ybmiuq

ybmiuq Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

For some reason our schools around here schedule teachers for a 15 minute meeting with parents right at the beginning of the school year. I don't think they get it. I think they copy cat other schools, but don't get all the details, details such as timing. Teachers don't even know the students yet. Teachers here just say the same thing about a hundred times it seems like. This goes on all day and late into the evening.
    I would have all the parents meet in your room and hand-out and go over the syllabus.