Meet the Teacher forms immediately or send home?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCafe, Jul 24, 2019.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 24, 2019

How do you do your Meet the Teacher forms?

I've always had parents fill out the forms and give them to me and throughout the week I sort through them. I was talking to a 1st grade teacher last year and that whole team gives parents a folder with the forms to bring back on the 1st day of school of that first week.

I'm of two minds: 1. I like to have no questions about the forms and have them all except for the very few who don't come to Meet the Teacher. It keeps me organized because that first week it's hectic.

2. I'm ever annoyed on Meet the Teacher. I always have activities for students but there are always at least 50-60 people in my room with strollers and toddlers and stuff gets messy and everywhere because while mine have stuff to do, the siblings won't just sit and play but run around. Parents want to "chat" for awhile then I have a long recieving line. It's suppose to be a quick meet and greet and go.

I always have them fill out the forms that night but I'm thinking of changing it. I just don't want parents to take forever to bring them (like school supplies that have been on sale ALL summer yet by the first day of school I get "I'll bring them next week) Pros? Cons? What do you do?

3. choppie70

choppie70 New Member

Jul 28, 2019

We have a meet and greet the night before school. It is always a Tuesday. I give all the required paperwork that night and ask for it to be returned ASAP. I get about 90% back the first day of school.

It was a life saver for me the year that we had to release early the second day of school one year due to excessive heat (we do not have air conditioning). I had all the paperwork and knew students' emergency plans.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2019

Last year we gave forms out on open house night, but we didn’t see all the kids then. Some kids got them the first day of school. Even with the kids who got them in open house some didn’t bring them back until the end of the first week.

5. QueenBee4th

QueenBee4th Rookie

Jul 28, 2019

Our school send home a packet to parents about three weeks before school starts. Irene's usually hand them in at open house (week before school starts) it the first day or two of school. I send home a welcome back letter to weeks before school starts letting them know they can bring in supplies and stuff at open house.