Meet The Teacher/Back To School Night Question...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RugRats, Jul 11, 2008.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 11, 2008

What do you all do for your MTT or BTS night?
    We have a Meet The Teacher Night the week before school starts. Our school no longer does Back To School Night.

Last year I felt as if I did not use the time wisely. This year I want to make it short, sweet, and effective.

Also, last year I had a ton of parents come in with their younger and older siblings. They seem to enjoy rifling through the class and leaving it a mess.

At previous schools I have "closed" down all my centers and only let the students Museum Walk the class. I didn't do it this past year because I was at a new school and wanted to scope out what other teachers did. No one closes down their centers, but it drives me CRAZY!!! How do you all feel about my Museum Walk? Think it would be okay for me to it at my new school even though no one else does????

HELP Please :)

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

I think the Museum Walk sounds great. You may just start something ;). I normally loop a pp and have all texts out so that parents and students can flip through them. I also give my parents the option of filling out first day packets early. I know what you mean about younger siblings. They seem to get into everything.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 11, 2008

I wouldn't keep the centers open. I would hate to clean up the mess afterwards too!

We usually set up power points, review the classroom rules, try to get parents to sign up for events, point out the "Giving Tree", get the parents to complete a questionnaire about their child, go through the classroom behavior plan, the curriculum that will be covered, share websites that they may find useful at home.

5. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Sorry, but what do you mean by "centers" in the context of BTS night? For our BTS night, the teacher pretty much just talks and goes over handouts that review policies, rules, etc., and takes questions.

6. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

There seems to be s difference in function between a Back to School night and a Meet the Teacher night. AT our school the only children allowed at Back to School Night are babies in strollers. The students do not attend.

I only have twently minutes that I repeat 4 times, so I focus on what the parents can do to help their child succeed in school. Then I quickly review classroom rules (only 5) and how to make an appointment with me. Everything I say has to be translated into Spanish, so there's not much time. I don't take questions. I turn out the lights immediately when the last bell rings and scoot out. It sounds bad, but I assure you there will be a parent who is waiting and will talk to you for 45 minutes if you are available.

7. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 12, 2008

I use centers in my everyday class. Meet the Teacher Night is right before school so all of my centers are set up and ready to go. I talk as well, but the younger siblings (and sometimes older) start playing around in the centers while I'm talking and the parents do not stop them.

fuzzybunnie - Our school got rid of Back to School Night so we make Meet the Teacher a Meet the Teacher/Back to School night to get as much in as possible. Unfortunately, our school does not implement a no children policy, I sure would love one though!!!!!

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

I say, it's your classroom and I would feel nutty if they were going through making a mess. I love the idea of a museum walk!!! No matter what other teachers do, this is your show and you can run it however you want, unless you were told by your principal to allow centers to stay "open".

9. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I like the idea of a museum walk. I don't really like the little kids in there messing with my stuff, either. We don't usually have ours until 2 or 3 weeks into school.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

Our back to school night takes a couple hours and there is no set time to show up for the parents so I can't really prepare any talk because parents are showing up at different times.
    I made up a scavenger hunt with part of the hunt being to meet the teacher, pick up my classroom handout (rules procedures etc) and the last thing on the hunt was to pick a surprise from the treasure box.

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

My school does an Open House before school starts as well. It's really a meet the teacher thing. Students come with their parents to see the room and meet the teacher. It's usually open for about 2-3 hours with parents coming and going at various times. Because of that, I can't have any kind of a talk. Instead, I put that info. into a packet for parents and include a survey for parents to fill out about their children. I have a scavenger hunt for the kids to complete (finding things they'll need on the first day of school, counting how many times their name is in the room, etc.) - I like the idea of letting them each pick from the prize box as the last task! I might have to steal that!!
    I too have had the problem of younger siblings getting into things. I agree, it drives me CRAZY! (especially when parents don't have them pick it up before they leave) This year I plan to have less out for that reason.

12. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

At our school we set up in the cafeteria but this is 8th grade and we answer questions and they fill out the huge package we have and give them there schedule and they can go from room to room to see where they will be changing rooms the ones that are not in the cafeteria will be in there rooms usually the parents and students are not very long they just normally ask what supplies they need and are there any fees.