Mediterranean Cruise

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lilmisses1014, Sep 18, 2009.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 18, 2009

Has anyone gone on a Mediterranean cruise? I'm doing research now for a vacation/way-too-long-delayed honeymoon, and this is at the top of our list.

What did you like about it? Anything you disliked? Cruise line recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 18, 2009

I have been on cruises, not the Med. From my experiences any cruise is wonderful.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2009

A teacher from our school just got back from one. She had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. I wish I could go on one right now!

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 18, 2009

I've never been on a cruise, but have been to Italy...the Mediterranean is amazingly beautiful. Especially southern Italy. Although..I'm a travel nut and anywhere is amazing to me! lol

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 19, 2009

My parents just got back from one: Greece, Turkey & Italy. They loved it! The ususally complain about everything. They didn't have one complaint.

The spent less than a full day in Greece and Rome (the start and end of the cruise), but had the option to arrive earlier and extend their stay in Rome for a few days. I spent 4 days in Rome and would recommend more time there than a day.

7. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

I have taken a Mediterranean cruise and it was fabulous!

Sailed out of Venice and toured Italy, Greece, and Turkey.

I talk to lots of people that take cruises, and I have heard only good reports from them about the the major cruise lines.

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

Thanks so much for the information!! I was torn between an Alaskan cruise and a Mediterranean cruise... but visions of wine and cheese and more wine and olives and even more wine danced in my head. Not to mention, I would LOVE to see all of the historical sites. DH and I are geeks for that sort of stuff. :p Hopefully we can make this work!!

Emma, do you know what cruise line your colleague went with?

Dzenna, if we can work it out financially, I think we're going to try to squeeze in a couple of days in Rome. What cruise line did your parents travel?

Ross, thanks for the input regarding the major cruise lines. What cruise lines are the best? My husband has taken a cruise before, but it wasn't on a major line.

9. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

The people I have spoken to have cruised on the following lines to various locations without complaint:

Celebrity
    Norwegian
    Princess
    Carnival
    Royal Caribbean
    Windstar
    Disney
    Holland

I have recently sailed on Royal Caribbean and enjoyed life on-board ship.

10. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

Last time I went on a cruise, I found a website I really liked. People used it to connect for tours and share itinerary information for specific cruises, but it has many different types of boards. I met quite a few people on my cruise who had been on this website also.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 19, 2009

The cruise line was Azamara, out of Athens. They flew to Greece. Azamara has 2 ships. My parents took the 15 day trip on the Quest.

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

Sweet! Thank you!!

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

They were on Holland America. I just got back from an Alaska trip. Part cruise and part land. I was gone for three weeks. PM me if you want any info on it. There are no words to describe Alaska, it is simply breathtaking! I can't wait to go back.

I have cruised many times. Celebrity and Princess are my favorite. Holland America was OK but caters to an older crowd. Costa was very nice and inexpensive. I don't like Royal Caribbean, done them twice, way to many kids. However my kids and husband really liked it, matter of personal taste.

And do check out cruisecritic.com. I always use that site when I plan my trips.