Medieval Europe

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by megawinn, Oct 25, 2010.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

I am starting a unit on Medieval Europe in my World Civilization classes (tenth grade). Any fun ideas or activities I could incorporate into my lesson plans? Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2010

I know that there is a great simulation on the web! I can't remember the site, but if you google Medieval Europe simulation I bet you could find it!

I read Catherine Called Birdy with my 7th graders-it helps them to understand the time a little better.

There is a plague activity: basically you hand out colored dots to the students and then decide that the red dots have the plague. Then all students seated near the red dots also contract the plague. And then look at how many people are still living.

We use M&Ms to teach feudalism. I can't remember the specifics-but have a king, nobles, vassals, and serfs. I think it is 1 king, 2 nobles, 2 vassals per noble, and 3 serfs per vassal...Then give all the serfs some m&ms, they pass some to the vassals, who share some with the nobles, who give to the king. It should work out that the king has the most, then the nobles, then vassals, and finally the serfs.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2010

5. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 26, 2010

Check out medievaltimes.com !! I don't know if you have Medieval Times near you, but you might get some ideas from their website. It is an awesome experience. Probably couldn't take your classes, but you might could adapt it as an "end of unit" festival.

6. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Oct 26, 2010

Thanks for all the great ideas! I have been to Medieval Times before and it was really fun. I like the idea of having some sort of unit festival. Any ideas of ways I could do that at a low cost?

Thanks again!

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2010

Do you recycle the lessons to teach about layoffs and compensation in corporate America?:p

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

Haha...definitely an idea.

You could have the students dress up, then that cost is on the parents. Maybe have each student research and plan one recipe to bring in on the day (divide them up into courses). Plan some games from the time that they could play.

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2010

Some of the Bernard Cornwall novels deal with this period, 100 years war etc. Also the Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, whilst fiction, is well researched and written and may be of interest to older students as a read for pleasure. Channel 4 (a UK TV channell) are dramatising it at the moment and it is pretty gory whilst showing the role of the Church in politics in England. I would suspect it will be out on DVD very soon.

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2010

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 26, 2010