Medicine Cabinets Not Desired?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mountainjoy, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Mountainjoy

Mountainjoy Rookie

Nov 4, 2021

I'm a form follows function kind of gal, and I like having my meds visible and easily found when I need them so I like and use our medicine cabinets with the three mirrors so I can check out the back of my head when styling my hair. But I just read today that real estate agents say to get rid of medicine cabinets and just install a mirror. Are there any others like me who still enjoy and use medicine cabinets?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2021

I use mine so I can easily find things like bandages, Neosporin, aspirin, cold remedies, and things I don't use often. If I was taking antibiotics, vitamins, or something daily, I want them out too, so I don't forget them.

a2z likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 4, 2021

So where do you put everything? The problem arises when your bathroom is too small (like mine) for any extra cabinets and the medicine cabinet/mirror is the only place that makes sense to keep everything.

a2z likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2021

I love medicine cabinets. I couldn't be without mine.

6. happygirl444

happygirl444 Rookie

Nov 4, 2021

When we bought this newer home, we were younger and dumber and didn't think much of storage but not having things like a medicine cabinet/mirror, linen closet, or a coat closet has really annoyed me. I will fix this with the next home! Haha!

a2z and WordFountain like this.
  7. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Nov 5, 2021

Gotta have my medicine cabinet! I don’t see how anyone does without one.

a2z likes this.
  8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2021

I don't have a medicine cabinet in any of the three bathrooms we have. But have plenty of other storage in 2/3. The 3rd bathroom is my daughters and we put a shoe holder on the back of her door and also my door. Easily reached when stuff is needed. I also have a built in that has open shelving for stuff.

9. Crazy4cats

Crazy4cats Rookie

Nov 5, 2021

I wish we had a medicine cabinet! We keep all our vitamins and stuff in the kitchen and I hate it! We also don’t have a closet in the entryway. I miss that, too.

10. GraceKrispy

GraceKrispy Rookie

Nov 7, 2021

I wish we had a medicine cabinet (or just more cabinets in the bathroom). The last few places I've lived have had really narrow cabinets, though. I'd love to have a deeper one. I don't have many meds, but I would use it for toothpaste and lotions and other things I access daily.

11. WordFountain

WordFountain New Member

Nov 8, 2021

I no longer have a medicine cabinet. When we renovated our bathroom years ago we took out the medicine cabinet and installed a mirror. However, we like a PP were younger and dumber and our house has no storage. We don’t have a closet in the bathroom; instead we have 1 linen/hallway closet upstairs. We also don’t have a coat closet. It’s maddening. We keep our first-aid, meds, etc in the linen hallway closet. The meds / vitamins we take daily live on top of our fridge in the kitchen. If we ever move storage will be a non-negotiable!

12. MusiCal

MusiCal Rookie

Nov 8, 2021

When I bought the house I live in (very old, Boston colonial style, etc) it had medicine cabinets in all three bathrooms. These were old enough that they still had the razor blade slots! We yanked back the walls and in the master bathroom, there was a pile of rusty razor blades that had been sitting in the wall for I don't even know how long! It was a very cool find and my kiddos were very excited about all of those.

Personally I don't like the idea of a medicine cabinet in the bathroom. We have one in the kitchen for, well, medicine. Everything else is either below the sinks in the bathroom or in neat cubbies or so.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 9, 2021

We are having our master bath remodeled this spring, and with a larger vanity and increased storage there, we are eliminating medicine cabinets in favor of mirrors.
    Also, a pharmacist friend told me it is preferable that medications be stored somewhere besides a bathroom.

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2021

I've never stored medicine in my medicine cabinet. I store other products I use every day or multiple times a day and a few first aid products. I like the easy access to the items I use every day, no digging in a drawer or bending for an item stored in a low cabinet.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 9, 2021

I don't take medication but some OTC stuff I have is in the kitchen.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 9, 2021

I have a cabinet over the toilet. It's useful since my bathroom is very small.

17. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 9, 2021

That is correct. The fluctuations in humidity and temperature can reduce the efficacy of medicines over time. My allergy pills live on the dresser in the bedroom because I take them before bed. If we're on other drugs for an illness or something, those go in the kitchen.
    My bathrooms do have medicine cabinets, but we use them for toothbrushes because it's more sanitary than leaving them out on the counter. Run-of-the-mill meds like ibuprofen, cortizone cream etc. live in the first aid drawer at the bottom of the cabinet under the sink.

I don't think most people where I live have strong feelings one way or the other. I'd love having a linen closet that's not *in* the bathroom though.