Medicinal Marijuana

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jul 6, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

There was just a segment about medical marijuana in Kentucky and it made me curious what people thought of this. Clearly people oppose since it's not legal here and of course many other states. So what are your thoughts on this issue?

I really don't understand why "regular" weed is illegal (when other much more damaging things are legal), so I support using it for medicinal purposes. If you don't, why?

3. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 6, 2012

I support it, especially after having watched loved ones suffer through terminal cancer. I don't find marijuana to be more harmful than alcohol, even though I don't partake. I think it could be regulated the same way, and we could use the tax money. Here in California, it's pretty common and accessible already.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2012

I think it unconscionable to deny seriously ill people a safe treatment that effectively treats chronic pain.

I deal with chronic pain myself, though it's now at a level that doesn't interfere daily. My only real option is opiates as I can't take NSAIDs. I usually don't need them more than a couple times a month, but I've had a few periods where I've needed constant, controlled doses and the side effects are horrific. On what planet is that the best option?

5. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

My problem with it is that many doctors will write prescriptions for marijuana to people who don't have a true need. I saw a very popular singer post a picture of his legal marijuana on Facebook. He may or may not have a legitimate need for the drug, but he certainly didn't present it that way. If you really need a medicine, I don't think you would feel the need to flaunt it on Facebook for potentially millions of people to see.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

It doesn't work for ADHD, however.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

I think it should be legal for both medicinal and recreational use.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

It is legal in Michigan, and everyone my sister's age (she was about 21-22 at the time it became legalized) went and claimed reoccurring headaches. They were all given prescriptions. I think it has been a bit tougher than that.

I am against it for personal reasons. I have a family member than has smoked it since he was 13. He's now 50-something. He has never moved out of his parents' house, only has a job because another family member gave it to him, and has been a bum in general. All of his money goes to weed. I know he is not the norm, but I just can't fathom having your entire life centered around smoking.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

However- my college professor for my CPR/First Aid class worked for the Sheriff's Department and was also a medic. He always said he'd rather marijuana be legal than alcohol. Not only because it won't impair you as much, but because people are less likely to be violent as well.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 6, 2012

It's become a big issue in my state. It's legal for medical purposes, and the city of Denver has "decriminalized" it by not making it legal in the sense that you can just walk into a store and buy it, but not "criminal" in the sense that there are no criminal charges for possessing an ounce or less. Basically, they felt that going after recreational users was a waste of police resources- which I agree with 100% even though I don't use it myself. The county I currently live in has voted on making it "decriminalized" in the same way Denver has but so far it has always failed in the votes- which I find interesting because I know many parents, teachers or teachers spouses' who smoke as if it's not a big deal- so I can't imagine who all of these people are that are voting it against it! Boulder (which is so hyper-liberal that even as a Democrat myself I find the area a little strange) has even had "pot parades" where people "protest" by smoking up and down the streets trying to get it legalized in the sense that you could go to a bar and get it. It's been pretty hotly debated. Personally, I think it should be legal for both recreational and medical use. If you do the research, it's less habit forming and less harmful to the body than alcohol and cigarettes. It doesn't make sense that two are legal and the other isn't. Just like they were saying in Denver- SO much of our police and crime resources are being used to "fight" something so silly. I don't think any more or less people will use it whether it's legal or not. I personally have no interest in it- but have no judgments against people that do. I tried it once in college and although I don't regret the experience it's just not really my thing. It's not like people like me who don't generally smoke will say, "Hey, it's legal! I'm going to become a pot head!" As for that person that everyone knows who sits around and does nothing but smoke weed- clearly weed being illegal isn't helping them any, so why would making it legal make it any different?

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

This happens with other prescription pain killers.

12. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 6, 2012

I am for it for medical uses. I have chronic migraines and take Percocet in addition to the two preventatives and abortatives (Imitrex injections, Treximet, Maxalt, etc.) I am headache/migraine free maybe 2-6 days a month. In talking to many others who have the same disorder, they have found it works wonders. I personally haven't tried it. (I'm always the one to get caught. lol) If it were legal, however, I would try it. It has to be better than the amount of meds I'm on.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

Even so, I think that if legalizing marijuana keeps even a small number of people from getting addicted to prescription painkillers, then it's worth it.

(I'm a bit biased in my opinion, right now, as last year I had a seven-year-old student who was dealing with PSTD that stemmed from having to call 911 multiple times when his mom OD'd on pain pills.)

14. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

My thoughts....it is a plant--why is a plant illegal?

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

So we should make cocaine and opium legal as well? They come from plants, too.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

I'm dealing long distance with my 80 year old mother that had both hips replaced. She has been given Roxy, Percocet, oxy, and loratab. She's hallucinated that I'm in the back bedroom, that kids have come in her house and peed in her blankets, and she's seen cartoon characters among other things.

The pain pills are causing many other side effects too. The pain managment team has told her that if she could smoke medical marijuna she would be close to pain free. It's not legal so she can't.

My son has moved in with her (and he has his own family) as she refuses to move out of her house or consider staying with me for a few months.

I think it should be legal. There's no good reason an 80 year old should have to suffer with such pain.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

For medical reasons, yes it should be legalized. As far as recreational use, why not legalize it? People are going to smoke it regardless if it's legal or not.

18. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

I think it should be legal. It's not any worse than alcohol and could be regulated the same way.

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

My DD used to work at a Medical Mar Clinic. There seem to be a lot of opinions about it's use.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I absolutely agree with this. How many people do I know who have hurt other people because of weed? None. Seriously. How many people do I know who have hurt others due to their use of alcohol? Several. And a couple are dead.

I like what Denver has done.

21. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

I believe it should be legal. My FIL has a prescription to grow his own for chronic pain (his list of ailments is a mile long - he's so humped and twisted physically from arthritis and spinal stenosis that it's obvious to anyone he's in constant pain).

I also think recreational use should be legal. I would rather see enforcement dollars going to something more dangerous.

22. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

It saved my neighbor's life. She was literally starving to death because food tasted bad to her after she had a stroke. The doctor said it was either MM or a feeding tube. MM worked for her and gave her an appetite.

BUT, it should be sold in a pharmacy, not dispensaries. The dispensaries around her are not taking their responsibility seriously. Along with selling to anyone with an easy to get RX, they sell colorful marijuana-laced goodies (candy, rice crispie treats). The high school students try sneaking them into school. We worry that our local middle and elementary age children will get a hold of these fun looking snacks.

23. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

It is my belief that the substance call marijuana is illegal for one reason. Money. Once it theoretically becomes legal, positives weighed against negatives, that market will fail. I would venture that there are many vested interests on both sides of the drug war that will never idly abide national legalization. They'd loose money from a variety of sources. Drug dealers would lose profits on sales. Law enforcement would lose profits from seizures and funding. Prisons as well as many judiciary entities would also lose funding. No illegal weed, no problem, no reason to draw off resources to "combat" the "problem". And I think there are more ramifications (like economics and job loss) to explore that prop up the "Establishment".

:2cents:

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

That is certainly a legitimate concern.

25. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 6, 2012

I think it's actually easier to get when illegal. The drug dealer doesn't check ID, but the convenience store clerk does when you buy alcohol. I know that when I was underage, marijuana was MUCH easier for kids to obtain. All you had to do was ask around a little and someone knew someone. I do realize it's different in different states and areas, but this is speaking for California where again, it's quite commonplace. It's been decriminalized here, but it's still not legal (even if it was, federal and state law often clash in this area). I also think that money is the primary reason. Recently, I read somewhere that a Gallup poll found that something like 50% or 51% (and rising) of Americans support legalizing marijuana, which is a record high. Who knows what the future will bring.

26. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

Well said.

27. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

I don't have a problem with it being in baked goods. I'm not a fan of smoking. There are wide variety of alcohols that are sweet, pretty colors, and tasty as well.

28. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 7, 2012

I think the positive side about it being in baked goods is that those who do not want to smoke or cannot smoke benefit the the medicinal use of marijuana by simply eating a brownie.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Yes, I would never smoke it...but in brownies would be nice. (If needed, I mean.)

30. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

It should definitely be legal for medicinal use. Although not as lax as it is in CA.

I like how it is in NJ, basically you need to have a condition that meets certain paramters and the doctor you see for it, you have to have seen for at least 1 year before they can write a prescription.

It would probably be good for my mother and her back pain as she is allergic to NSAIDs

31. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

The laws are ridiculous. Housing someone in jail for 40k a year because they possessed a few ounces of MJ is a tremendous waste of money and resources. I want real criminals locked up. Like pedophiles and DUI morons and those that commit violent acts against other human beings. Only in America can you legally go buy cigarettes (as toxic a drug as you can find) or alcohol (which destroys families, kills motorists and can ruin your health) but send you to jail for smoking a weed. Like
    another poster pointed out. FOLLOW the money.

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

Those charges also ruin the lives of young people and probably create more criminals than deter them.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

It ANGERS me how many people are jailed for years for marijuana. Makes no sense whatsoever.

34. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 8, 2012

Rick Steves is an advocate for legalizing soft drugs in the US. Because of his extensive travels, he has seen the way that other countries have handled legalizing pot. I go back and forth in my mind about this issue, so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
    Here's a link to the article on his website. Hope it works!
    http://travelasapoliticalact.com/excerpts/drugchapter.html

35. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

I don't have a problem with it being dispensed in baked goods, I do have a problem medical marijuana rx cards being easily obtained and dispensaries being so easily accessible. In my city, we literally have dispensaries every few blocks. Kids turn 18, get a MM rx and then sell the items to other kids. I think this would be less of a problem is the MM was sold via pharmacies.

36. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

Perfectly said.

37. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

Well, the guy who ate the homeless guy's face only had weed in his system, not bath salts like previously thought. ;)

But I would agree, the vast majority of people don't do anything more harmful on weed than they do on alcohol (and the face eater obviously had more going on than just a little high).

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

Then he's clearly unstable.

39. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

Yes I know, that's why I put he obviously had more going on. :)

40. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

Or he just had an extreme case of the munchies :p
    Ok...that was bad...

41. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

At the risk of sounding like a hippy... I think we should legalize marijuana for recreational use and tax it. Then use the taxes for educational funds.