Measurement

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hopefulval, Nov 27, 2009.

1. hopefulval

hopefulval New Member

Nov 27, 2009

I need a fun interactive lesson plan on measurement. The topic is selecting appropriate units and tools to solve problems involving measurement. I have researched a lot of online lesson plans and can't seem to find anything that would interest 3rd graders. Any suggestions?

3. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Nov 27, 2009

When I taught third grade I used the book, How Big Is A Foot?, to teach my students the importance of having universal standard units of measurement. I would read the book but stop before the end and then I would tell each table that they were their own kingdoms. In advance, I would pick four students, because I had four tables, of varied size to be the apprentices.

I then gave each kingdom a large piece of bulletin board paper as the quilt that they would have to make to go on the Queen's bed. Each apprentice would use their own feet to measure the quilt. The outcome is that there will be four quilts of different sizes. Then we would discuss why the quilts ended up being different sizes even though each apprentice measured their quilt as being six feet long. Then I would finish reading the story and if time allowed, the students would decorate their quilt and display it in the room. My kids loved this lesson and learned that in order to have an exact measurement a standard unit must be used.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 28, 2009

Gingerbread Man Thematic UnitHave them measure their Modern Gingerbread Man. Write the measurement on the bottom ... Have the children work cooperatively to measure how many gingerbread ...
    www.kidzone.ws/thematic/gingerbread/index.htm