meaningful 5th grade math enrichment

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Ambrosegirl84, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Feb 8, 2012

Hi,
    I teach at a very small school and have one fifth grader who is excelling at math. His classmate, however, is not.

I have 3 grades, so divide my math hour into three 20-minute lesson segments. While I am not working directly with the 5th graders, they are working at independent math centers overseen by my aide. My lower student gets extensive help from the aide, while the higher student usually works on his own.

What I am mainly looking for are meaningful enrichment activities, perhaps ones that he could work on with the aide so he doesn't get cheated out of instructional time he deserves despite the fact he "gets it."

I've been reading up a little on GT and I don't want to give my student extra work or throw activity worksheets at him. What I have been reading about are things like independent studies and projects, but I just haven't found any specific ideas.

I will also go ahead and admit that teaching 3 grades has made me lazy enough that I'm not looking to create a 4th curriculum for this kid (at least I'd rather not). He's not really at 6th grade level, just gets the 5th grade stuff really well.

So does anyone have any ideas of quality 5th grade enrichment activities that are somewhere between copying a worksheet and creating a whole 'nother curriculum? I think independent study would be great, but how does one structure that? I don't even know where to start!

Thanks!

3. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Feb 9, 2012

I'm interested to know as well.

4. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Feb 13, 2012

Anyone?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2012

I know that olemiss (http://mathcontest.olemiss.edu/) posts a challenge math question for the week or day that might be motivating for him and easy for you. Try the elementary brain teaser.

He could create a game that teaches the skills that he has mastered. He could solve a challenging word problem.

Depending on the topics that you are studying, you could have him redesign his room or purchase products for his room. He could create a real-life book of math where he takes pictures of real-life uses of the math he is learning.

6. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

Have you ever heard of Manga High? It's an online website with math games. You can actually set-up accounts for your students and then assign them challenges. You can assign challenges as a whole class or post specific challenges for students who need help in a certain skill.