Meals for hot weather!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 28, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 28, 2009

I was planning on turning on the oven but it's too warm here for a hot meal/hot oven if you know what I mean :)

What are some good cold foods you enjoy in the hot weather? I'm thinking salads and sandwiches. Anything else?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 28, 2009

4. melnm

melnm Companion

May 28, 2009

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 28, 2009

I like to use my foreman. Any kind of quick salad is good too.

My favorite trick is to take chicken when I get home from the store (well, any meat will work, but I usually choose chicken) and throw it in a ziplock bag with the marinade. That way it will marinade when it freezes, and it will also when it defrosts. Easy peasy! We are going on a trip next week and I plan to do this to some steak and chicken to throw on skewers (put it on skewers, then in the marinade) on the grill.

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 29, 2009

Take-out

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 29, 2009

Pasta salad - I made a huge batch yesterday! Just grab whatever veggies you have/are seasonal. Chop 'em bite-sized. Cook your favorite bite-sized pasta. Mix with veggies. Douse with Italian dressing. Sprinkle with parm/shredded mozz/whatever you want. Refrigerate. Eat. Lots of it.

*My veggie to pasta ratio is 2:1, so I don't gain 9 million pounds eating this.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 29, 2009

We have the Big Green Egg here. It's a ceramic smoker and grill, and it's improved our diets immensely! As we speak, my husband is using his day off to smoke his own pastrami. Tomorrow we'll grill steaks!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2009

Here's some cool meal ideas:

- Experiment w/ various cold pasta salads throughout the summer
    - Sushi (& it's not just only raw fish like some people may think)
    - Various lettuce salads
    - Cole slaw
    - Cold cut sandwiches
    - Wraps w/ the cold meat w/ lettuce, etc. wrapped in a flour tortilla
    - Fruit salad
    - Carrot salad
    - Tuna salad
    - Deviled eggs
    - Egg salad
    - Potato salad

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 29, 2009

Rachel Ray Shrimp/Chicken Wraps - the recipe is for both, but I usually only make one or the other (the shrimp is my favorite).

2 hearts romaine lettuce
    1 pound jumbo fully cooked shrimp, from the seafood counter in market
    1 rotisserie chicken, available in many markets
    4 heaping tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    2 tablespoons anchovy paste, optional (But it tastes better with it in. If you think you don't like anchovies, try them in this sauce. They just taste salty and yummy!)
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a few handfuls
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon coarse black pepper, eyeball the amount in the palm of your hand: 1 teaspoon is equal to about 1/3 of a palm full
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, pour to the count of 4
    Directions
    Cut bottoms off the romaine and cut the heads in half lengthwise. Wash lettuce and separate the leaves. Let it dry in the dish draining rack while you prepare the rest of the menu.

Remove the tails from the shrimp and place the shrimp in a bowl or, pack for travel, if this is a picnic meal.

To remove the chicken meat from the chicken, cut the chicken breasts off first. Cut the legs and thighs off using kitchen scissors to help you. Slice the meat up on an angle. Arrange on a plate or in a plastic container.

Place mayonnaise, garlic, lemon, anchovy paste, cheese, Worcestershire and pepper into the blender and turn it on. Stream the extra-virgin olive oil into the dressing through center of the lid. When the oil is combined, remove the thick dressing with a spatula to a bowl or a portable plastic container.

Place lettuce on a serving platter or pack in large plastic bag or container to travel.

To assemble, spread dressing onto a lettuce leaf. Fill leaf with a large shrimp or sliced cold chicken, like a lettuce taco, and eat!

To pack for picnic, take the romaine hearts in plastic food storage bags. Pack the shrimp and cut chicken in separate bags and pack dressing in small plastic container.

I also like to make a fruit salad with whatever looks good and make different toppings/dressings- 2 favorites
    #1 - Mix one regular size can of crushed pineapple, sugar free vanilla pudding and one container sugar free cool whip
    #2 - mix vanilla yogurt (single serve size) with s1/2 cup strawberry puree or (even easier) strawberry ice cream topping

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 29, 2009

Use an outside grill.

12. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 30, 2009

Fortunately, I have a husband that likes salad. We eat it a lot during ths summer. We bought a small countertop convection toaster oven so that we don't have to use the big oven...it heats up the house terribly.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 17, 2010

I thought I should revive this thread for this year. Warm weather approaches! My crock pot is out and I'm going to attempt risotto in the next week or two.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 17, 2010

We had a great hot weather meal the other night (even though it was cold and rainy!)--crepes with a cream cheese/yogurt/brown sugar filling topped with strawberries, blueberries, mango, toasted pecans and a drizzle or pecan syrup. Yummy!

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 17, 2010

Ha! Last night I made the recipe that I posted on here last year. that's funny. I am eating it for lunch all week.

We are grilling almost every night, as long as it isn't rainy or too windy.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 17, 2010

You didn't send any to me?!?!

I found a really good marinade for chicken...will post later!!!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2010

My idea of summer eating is anything that can be cooked on the grill!!!

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 17, 2010

Sorry, Diznee--there were a few leftover in the fridge, but Lauren had them for breakfast (one of the few times she would "stoop" to eat leftovers!). I think that this is going to become a summer staple--maybe next time there'll be some.

19. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

May 17, 2010

Me too! We use our grill all the time in the summer.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 17, 2010

I really need to learn how to use the Big Green Egg better. We can make pizzas on it and everything.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 17, 2010

Well, since they were eaten by a growing girl that burns more calories... I guess she can have my share!!! LOL!!!

I like to make a fruit triffle... bananas strawberries, pineapple with layers of angel food cake, cream cheese pudding concotion!!

On a bright note.... OUR RASPBERRY bushes we transplanted in the fall are GROWING!!! We will have our own little patch... probably not a lot this year, but hopefully next!!!

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 17, 2010

Diz, my raspberry plants bore enough fruit the first year to have some on cereal each morning. We put in some blueberry plants this year.

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 17, 2010

Ooh... that's good to hear. Yup they are staring from the ground up!!! Luckily, Gma we got them from doesn't live far so we can go pick there like last summer.

Where did you get a blueberry plant?!?! I would love one of those!!!

Blue... have you made raspberry jam & use a cheese cloth to keep the seeds out. My hubby loves it, but not the seeds... any ideas?!?!

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 17, 2010

Quesadillas on the grill are easy and delicious! I also have a quesadilla maker, electric.

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 17, 2010

Chicken Marinade
    (I only did mine for the day. I put it in our marinating dish in the morning & cooked it that nite. I use about ¾ cups of soy sauce. We use the lite soy sauce to cut down on the salt & I throw in minced garlic that we have instead of the powder.)
    Ingredients
    2 cups lemon-lime soda
    1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
    6 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Directions
    1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soda, soy sauce, oil, garlic powder and horseradish; add chicken. Seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.

2. Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.

26. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 18, 2010

Diz, yes I have strained seeds out of berries for jam. You might try putting them through a colunder (the kind with a handle that you turn to push the fruit through and leaving the seeds).

We used to get very thin dish towels that worked great. Removing about 1/2 the seeds sometimes is enough.

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 18, 2010

Diz, I seem to remember that some plants are not allowed across state lines. I bought the blueberry plant at Home Depot. Your state may not allow blueberries. I know that gooseberries have to be from in-state here. We have one of those, and it is doing great. I also have some rhubarb that started on my grandparents dairy farm over 100 years ago. My family is really into big gardens and sharing starts.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 18, 2010

Thanks Blue... We have blueberries here, but I'll have to check the local Home Depot!!! We have really sandy soil here.