Meacham's Calendar Wall & Binders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I am obsessed with looking at Meacham's calendar binders on her website!!! This site has to be one of my favorites: http://www.jmeacham.com/ I would love to implement this with my 2nd graders as an extention to our calendar math time. We all know that calendar math time is essential in order to expose kids to certain concepts, but I always wondered how to engage the class into calendar time. It seemed the only kids who were "into it" were the kids who were calendar helpers. Anyway, I love the way Meacham does calendar binders with her students. It will incorporate alot of work getting them all together, but it seems to be well worth it in the long run.
    What do you all think??? Check it out. Does anyone actually do these in their class??? If not, do you think it would be worth the time & effort??:2up:

Here's the calendar wall itself:http://www.jmeacham.com/calendar/calendar.wall.htm

Here's the link to the calendar binders:http://www.jmeacham.com/calendar/calendar.binder.htm

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I am going to implement something more like what Mrs. Meacham does this year. Last year the kids did their own calendars and weather charts for morning work when they came in the classroom and then we did a calendar time later in the day. It worked well but I want to revamp it as well. BTW they LOVED doing there own calendars. I got them off of her website.

4. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I have, in the past, had the same calendar components but I did not have students complete individual sheets/binders for the components. I like the idea of involving all students in this regard but it would be, as you mentioned, a lot to prep. I also wonder how long this takes to complete daily. Sadly, we rarely seem to have the time in our schedule for these additional, beneficial activities.

5. Youngteacher226

Aug 3, 2008

See, that's my concern about doing this with my class. I'm wondering where would you find the time and if it can be done in a short time span?? I guess it could if the calendar helpers "do" the activities in the morning and all the other kids would have to do is complete their worksheets before math. I know that my kids would greatly benefit from doing the activities themselves daily even when they are not calendar helpers because it should keep them excited about calendar math & it would help to build their math skills as well (tally, graphs, number order, calendar, place value, money, time).

6. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I was thinking, you could do several components each day, rotating through them during the week. You could do different ones each week or keep it consistent from week to week. Then, less time but still covered.

7. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I did it in my K class. At the beg of the year I just printed the pages of her site and hung them on the wall next to my calendar and we did them together. In Jan I gave them all their own binders to complete. I had one student model on the calendar wall and then I did it on the ELMO. I liked it. When we first got the binders it was a little time consuming until we got down the procedures. But after a couple of weeks it took less than five minutes to pass out and put away our binders.

I previously printed and hole punched everything I needed for all kids plus a few extras. Then I stuck them in my monthly planning folders. After school the day before the new month I would put in the new papers. Once I forgot and we had to do it as a class. That took a while and I would not recommend. But you kids are older so it might work.

PS I am addicted to her sight too. Isn't it great?

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

I like the idea of having the kids make their own calendars, like at the beginning of every month. There is only so much time in the day as you know so we need to pick and choose what we think is most important. For me, when it comes down to having more time for calendar or more time for other things like reading/phonics, I'm going to have to go with phonics.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

I did this with my class for a year. The students really enjoyed it but I think that some of them just went through the motions after a while. Most of my students were at 1st grade level. I think 2nd grade may be too old after they get the hang of it as they may also just go through the motions. At first we did it as a class but by November they were doing it on their own. Some kids finished it in less than 5 minutes but I had one student who would take up to 20 minutes.

10. Youngteacher226

Aug 3, 2008

Yeah, I was thinking that it might take a while for some kids to complete the activities early in the year, but I'm anticipating that by November, most kids should be able to do it on their own. Some can even do it when they are done with morning work, during idle time (maybe I'll it on my What Can I Do When I'm Finished chart) or right before math. The only reason why I want to try to make time for this because of course, 2nd graders take the Tera Nova NYS test in October so it would be great to start this as soon as the first week of school to get the practice. Also, because of our math program (we use Investigations), my kids don't really get the practice with time, money, place value etc. during the year unless we supplement with other stuff. So, I think that this would be just as equally important as anything else. Nothing will interfere with our reading & writing time, but I think as long as the kids have their calendar folders complete before math, they are good. Some might be on top of things and complete theirs in 5 minutes. I'll have to see how it goes but I definately think it will benefit my kids in the long run.

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

I would love to do her calendar binders too, but I also run into the problem of having too little time. To make sure all students practice the calendar skills, I have a different student do each activity on the wall (so kids are getting picked about once every couple days). That alone really helped the kids (they knew all about tallies before we got to that unit).

I would just worry if it's something the kids do when they finish another activity, some kids won't ever get to theirs, and they need to keep up with tallies and such.