McGraw Hill Treasures Reading Activites -3rd grade

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Newto3rd, May 28, 2009.

1. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

May 28, 2009

I am moving from 2nd to 3rd this year. This is our year 3 of our 5 year adoption of the McGraw Hill Treasures reading series. Does anyone have any activities that they have made or are out on the web for this series? I have powerpoints created for the 2nd grade set and all my CPS (computer tests with remotes) tests created for 2nd grade as well as many other hand-made activities and stations. But now I have to start over! Uhhh - except my husband is being hired in to teach 2nd grade so he can benefit from it all!! (Yeah for him :angel:)

Again...
    I am looking for activities for the 3rd grade McGraw Hill Treasures Reading series. Anything would help. (Powerpoints, vocab activities, homework ideas, spelling ideas that go with the series, and any other helpful hints!)

3. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

We have that Reading Series. This will be our 2nd year to use it. I don't have any of the things we made to go with the story, here at home. They are all at school. When do you all start school?

4. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 11, 2009

We start the beginning of August. If you have anything that you would be willing to share, I'd love it! :) I can PM you my e-mail and you can send anything when you start back to school.

Here are some things that may help you. I've been on a mission this summer and some great people have made some great resources! I hope you can use them!

http://www.helpinghands.f-snet.com/3rd grade.htm

http://www.stageforlearning.com/teacherdownloads.asp

http://www.d11.org/DOI/literacy/LiteracyGrade3/LLA3YearlyOverview.htm#Units

5. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

Newto3rd, feel free to PM your e-mail to me and I will be happy to send you everything I have. =)

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

thanks for the helpful links!!!

7. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

8. GTR3

GTR3 Rookie

Sep 23, 2009

I am in same boat you were in. This is our 1st year with the series and I am very overwhelmed, even after 16 years of teaching. I find myself staying later and later each day sometimes till 6 just to get things ready and prepare centers and tests.( which I do not think are great assessments, so I have been making my own). It is exhausting. I would greatly appreciate any help with anything you have found useful for this series. Thanks so much!

9. corney

corney Companion

Sep 24, 2009

As a parent I don't care for the Treasures ciriculum, so I sympthize with you. My daughter finds the stories long and boring. I find then a little to advanced at times for her age. She NEVER passes a test that are given from that series..

10. pamms

pamms Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

Just a quick note on the tests...make sure you've discovered the selection tests. It took us a while to realize we had them. They were only accessible on a disk, not in a book. It's such an oddly organized series! LOL It seems to be missing such basic things and has so much that no one wants to use. Those FCAT format tests are difficult. Using the selection tests in addition (or instead) really helps.

11. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

12. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Oct 20, 2009

Yes, the Selection Tests are great! We use them all the time....

13. corney

corney Companion

Oct 20, 2009

My daughters teacher has found that all the children in her class were bombing the FCAT Weekly assessment, she now sends it home for the children to do as homework and they have till Friday to turn it in.. Last year in the 2nd grade ESE class the test was given as a final reading grade each week. I had a link to it, printed it off on Mondays, gave it to my daughter to do all week so when it came time for her to take the test in class she knew the answers.. yes it's cheating but there was no way she would have passed if I hadn't. I'm so glad this yrs teacher is working outside the box and recognizing this series is not the best and is working around it so the children learn and not fail. I have seen a tremendous improvement in my daughters attitude this year towards her reading and test scores..

14. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Oct 24, 2009

This is my second year with the series, and the weekly tests DO GET EASIER. Something to remember is that the the Beyond and On level groups will get scores from 100% to 77% and the Approaching will usually get below that unless you work with them in small group on the test. You have to model how to do the test together then gradually let them be more independent. Right now, I have my Beyond level group able to take the weekly test independently with Progress Reporter on laptops and they get A's and B's. Don't give up!

15. mastermind

mastermind Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

Hello wonderful 3rd grade teachers
    I'm wondering how can I get unit and weekly treasures assessments. Please help..
    Thanks.

16. HOOtie2Ute

HOOtie2Ute New Member

Jun 13, 2010

Newto3rd,
    I would love to have a copy of your CPS tests,if you don't mind sharing. Most of the activities I have found for the 3rd grade series is off of StageforLearning.

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

18. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 3, 2010

19. missnicole3rd

missnicole3rd New Member

Jul 9, 2011

Ah! :wow:This has saved me SO much time! I just got hired to be a third grade teacher and am sooooo thankful to have found this posts and websites. Thank you guys so much. If any of you want to email me any things you've found or created for Treasures third grade, I would REALLY appreciate it. :help:

-Nicole:thanks:

20. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 11, 2011

same boat

We just finished year 1 of the Treasures series. You'll never be able to use all of the resources. For us, the selection tests were in a resource book along with the weekly tests? I think. I spent a few days looking through every resource book we had, putting page divider stickers on some of the books because they had more than one resource in them. Finally I had to write on the front with a Sharpie because I kept forgetting where things were.

21. Deckerdolphins

Deckerdolphins New Member

Jun 5, 2012

Hi,

We will start using treasures this coming year. I teach 2nd grade. Any advice or info would be appreciated! Thank you!

22. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 10, 2012