Maybe you all can help me and if not, maybe you could direct me elsewhere. Music...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ifightaliens, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. ifightaliens

    ifightaliens Rookie

    Jul 29, 2008
    Likes Received:

    Jan 11, 2009

    I've given private guitar lessons at a local music shop for many years now, and recently started teaching English in a regular classroom. Which leaves me pulling my hair out. I started teaching as a teenager, and aside from receiving music lessons at the shop, I have no REAL education in music. That is not to say that I am not a schooled musician; in fact I know more than most. And, I'm REALLY good at teaching guitar; one of my students is playing Randy Rhoads solos note for note with local cover bands at 14 within a year of picking up the instrument from studying with me.

    I've been toying with this idea for a while: would it be possible, since I already have a secondary ed degree, to teach music instead?

    I realize I'd need to get some more schooling, but since I've only focused on teaching English, I'm not really sure where to start. Any idea what type of programs I should pursue?

    See, I'd like to teach music, maybe not so much in a classroom setting, but rather continue teaching privately for a reputable music school (or perhaps eventually open my own) as opposed to catch as catch can lessons. I realize the pay would probably be less and benefits might not be so great, but I feel much more pride in it and find it more rewarding with my guitar students than I've ever felt teaching in a classroom.
  3. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    May 13, 2005
    Likes Received:

    Jan 11, 2009

    Depends on where you are. Some states will require you to show a certain number of units; others will be happy if you pass a test of your subject matter knowledge, and they'll allow you to add music as an additional authorization on your existing license.

    Your best bet is probably to check the Web site for your state's teacher licensing agency and find out what's required.
  4. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Apr 12, 2006
    Likes Received:

    Jan 12, 2009

    And/or contact a music school and see what they require from teachers.

    I assume you're talking about an after school type program (as opposed to a Julliard type of setting.) As a result, each school may be setting its own requirements.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. renrupa2u,
  2. futuremathsprof,
  3. Ima Teacher,
  4. Jioconde,
  5. tigger88,
  6. Pi-R-Squared,
  7. agdamity
Total: 596 (members: 7, guests: 563, robots: 26)