Maybe try a different route...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Jul 21, 2015.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

I’m an alt cert in South TX. It’s not looking so good so far, no phone calls at all... I thought maybe my para-sub position I have had for a year and a half with this great school district would have helped me, but I guess not. I have currently been working with a great company for a couple years, but it has nothing to do with education/schooling.

Anyways, I'm thinking about trying a different route with my alt cert program. Instead of trying to get a one year (probationary) teaching position, I should do the 12 week student teaching route to get certified.

Does anyone have personal experience going this route? I'm just kind of worried that even if I go this route, I will still have a hard time landing a job because its still not being certified through A University like what most Districts want.

I applied at a few charter schools last week, I'm going to look into job fairs like someone mentioned in another post. I havn't given up yet :)

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 21, 2015

This is a weird time in the summer. The start and the end of summer break has a lot of hiring, but in the middle there is generally a lull. I think the 12 week student teaching plan is good, if you don't land a job by the time school starts. To try and improve your chances of a job this year, I recommend sending emails with your cover letter and resume to ALL principals of schools you are qualified to teach at. I suggest doing this two to three weeks before school starts. This is how I landed my first full-time teaching job.

Good luck.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 22, 2015

Isn't right now towards the end of the summer? Okay, I will start emailing Principals. I was hesitant to email because I don't want to be a bother, but it seems like all teachers are doing this so I should too.

5. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

In my area, hiring goes all the way up into mid-September. I would say keep applying but definitely consider the student teaching option as well.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2015

Hugs, pommom. How's your cover letter?

7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 22, 2015

Well I just applied for a job posting. I was going to email as well, but the Principal's email is no where to be found. I looked all over the District website. I think a few Principals hide their email on purpose.

8. sped_teach_tx

sped_teach_tx Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

Who are you looking for?

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 22, 2015

It was with Judson. I found the email eventually a different way, not from their website. Are you an alt cert too? You have your EC-12? Have you had any interviews yet?

10. sped_teach_tx

sped_teach_tx Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

I'm in the same boat as you pommom. Granted, I had to wait until my scores came in earlier this month to start applying. With what people were telling me, it made it seem like since I'm SPED everyone would be rushing to hire me, so its weird that I haven't gotten a call/email haha.

11. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 22, 2015

No, they just try to ward off spam. I looked up that district and that's common. If you click on a school off the main district webpage and see the Principal's name in blue/pink/whatever color the website is that's different than plain black like everything else....click that. That's their email.

http://www.judsonisd.org/campuses/?event=home&campus_code=112

Names not in black are always links. Click them especially if it's the principal.

You can copy/paste you resume and cover letter and it goes directly to them.

I can't see how you can't find the emails. There's always a staff directory on each school website and emails are there.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 22, 2015

I hope you get a job for this year, but if you don't, I think the student teaching is a great idea. Get the building principal to observe you so you can get a recommendation from him/her.

13. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 23, 2015

The emails are easy to find. It was just this one school...

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2015

I have been sending out applications for my son, and I have had a couple just like your one. One even buried the address of the school so deep that I finally gave up and went online to search in a completely different way to get it. Someone always has it, but that doesn't make it easy to find. ;)

15. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 23, 2015

That's so frustrating when they burying the email addresses. I applied to a school earlier this summer and I couldn't find the principal's email address. He wasn't in the staff directory or anything. I had a guess of what his email was because they all follow a similar pattern, but to be sure, I had to ask a friend who works in that school so I didn't get it wrong.

16. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 23, 2015

Well looking at my checkbook, I can't do the 12 week unpaid program. If I quit my current job, it has to be for another good paying job.... My house payment is too high. Im thinking about an after school program director job to get get my foot in the door. instructional assistant pay is a little too low for me.