maybe it is just me?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by sjcgirl07, Mar 2, 2010.

1. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 2, 2010

But i have this homework assignment to do on language and i am having a really hard time with it..There are so many steps but one of the tasks given to us was that we are given different catagories and then words and we are to underline sections of the word that fits into the category. Maybe it is just because i haven't done phonics and phonetic stuff in so long, i just can't remember any of it. But for example we were given the catagory: Consonant Blends- Then given the words: Wrap, Stamp, Bleach, First. And i just can't even function and figure it out. I can't figure out if words have a consonant blend or a consonant digraph. They both seem so familiar to me.

3. andi137

andi137 Companion

Mar 2, 2010

Consonant blends are two letters that are blended together and consonant diagraphs are two letters that make one sound like th,wh,sh,ch.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 2, 2010

exactly what andi said. If you can still hear the letters seperately when you say the word slowly, it's a blend. If it's 2 letters that, together, make an entirely different sound, it's a digraph.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2010

Note that digraphs (di 'two', graph 'written symbol', and there's only one letter <a> in the word) aren't limited to consonants: sjc's list has one definite vowel digraph and one other possible digraph, depending on interpretation.