**Maybe ** First year withOUT staff kids!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Sheila, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

This will be my 9th year teaching, and I *THINK* that this may be the first year I won't have staff children in my class!:eek:

I don't know how many of you experience that, but really.... why does it feel like staff kids are the hardest at times?! :whistle:

3. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 16, 2012

Woo hoo! Something to celebrate! I haven't been in that situation yet, but one of my team members had one last year and there were definitely some issues!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

I only had a colleagues child once...it was a good experience, but I can see how it could be problematic.:unsure:

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

I've been very fortunate and had delightful experiences teaching the children of other teachers.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

I have been fortunate to have great staff parents/kids in my homeroom. Last year, we had a student that was a piece of work and his mom refused to see it. Then, she got mad at my whole team for not inviting him to the free morning tutoring. (I did not offer tutoring, and was not a part of it, yet she was mad at me :confused: ). The child is straight-A. He does not need tutoring!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

I've had a few, but I've also been fortunate.

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

I've taught staff kids 3 times before.

The first time, I worked with the student's father. The student told me that she really needed a place to just be herself. At school, dad wasn't dad - he was Mr. Scienceteacher - so she requested that I only speak to her mother about school things. It worked out well.

The second time was last year. I taught the kid of a fellow teacher at my school as well as the kid of a teacher who worked at the school next door.

My colleague was great. He was very aware of the issues his child had (mostly to do with organization) and was very open to hear what my concerns were.

The teacher from the school next door was....not great. She personally attacked me to the point where she made me cry. It was so bad that my administration has said that I am not to meet with her alone. Ever.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

I think I've had them every year for at least the past 6 years and will again this year. I actually take it as a compliment because they really could have them placed with anyone.

One year I had 4, including the admin's granddaughter! The hardest part for me was always meetings like Open Houses-it's weird to talk about what you to with colleagues in the room. But mine have also been good experiences! :thumb:

10. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 16, 2012

I will have one this year and did last year as well. We live in a tiny town though, so lots of my students are our friends' kids or other people we know in town. Makes it interesting!

11. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jul 16, 2012

My husband's much younger siblings were in my class my first year of teaching. My in-laws refused to see why I wouldn't talk school gossip and essentially do grade conferences during Sunday dinner. It was really, really bad. It was made worse by the fact that brother-in-law hates my subject, always chooses to blame teachers instead of himself, and his parents believe every lie he makes up. It permanently damaged my relationship with my in-laws.

Not really staff kids but I could see similar problems coming from that.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I've had this a few times, but thankfully they've always been good situations. I can see how it could get really difficult, though!

I'm in a small town parochial school, and many of our students' parents teach at the public school. That's more intimidating for me, especially when the parents also teach 3rd grade!

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

Sniff Sniff...I'm the parent of one of those kids.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

I have taught a few to several each year...small district, can't really be avoided. I had all the superintendent's children as well. A couple were insanely amazing, a few were stinkers, and most were typical.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

I was about to say heart...it's hard on the other side too. I know my kids aren't perfect, but sometimes I feel like my kids got higher expectations than classmates, which is nice in some ways, but not in others.

It will be interesting for me and my children this year, now that I've left the school for new opportunities...I sometimes sense some jealousy? resentment? good riddance? from my former colleagues.

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

My experiences have all been good, but there have been some conversations around the school that I know were difficult. I'm actually worried a little about taking my own kids to school with me one day, just imagining the inevitable comparisons between my twins makes me uncomfortable.

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

Tasha...I have identical twins that will be coming to school with me as well.

18. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

The kids weren't the problem that I had really. IT was their parent ~ who were also in sense my coworker. Too many "special exceptions" and it just got to be where I "shouldnt'" expect the same out of them(parents). (Children having supplies they needed, projects done and turned in on time, etc.) I mean I understand what it's like to be a teacher and a parent, and I guess I expect others to be able to at least do the things they complain parents in their own classrooms doing! LOL

It is rather funny. I guess this past year was the roughest, but it's all good. We all survived.

19. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

I've only taught 3 years, but yes, I do feel like district employees' kids are the toughest. I hate for my son to have that reputation, though! :((

The first year, I only had kids whose parents taught at other schools within the district but those particular parents had a definite entitlement complex.

This past year, I had one whose dad taught in the building and it was awful. He was a definite helicopter parent and felt like his kid deserved 1 on 1 help 24/7 just because of who HE was. =X I have that kid again this year, but I think his dad has figured out he's wasting his breath on me.

This coming year, I do have another kid whose parent teaches in the building - but the parent is my closest friend on campus and I already know her daughter is super sweet, so I'm not AS worried about it.

20. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

That's happened to me twice. The first teacher's kid I had wasn't a behavioral problem at all, but she didn't turn some work in here and there. Her grades slipped. The parent was VERY supportive. If only all parents were like that, lol. The year before last, I had the child of a teacher who taught in my building. The kid was okay, but the mom really started to annoy me. She thought I was letting him goof off between assignments and that's why he wasn't reading very much, so she "popped" in a couple of times to see what he was doing. :mad: Awkward.

Beth

21. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

This year we will have 3 staff kids attending prek/kindergarten... I'm nervously awaiting where they will be placed.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I work in a very smalltown school and a lot of the teachers are graduates who have lived in the district all their lives. I have had kids of colleagues every year since I started, too. Last year I had a student who was the son of a teacher in my department, who was right next door to me, and he ended up not being able to continue in Honors after my class. That was rough. And she would always be in my room asking questions about him at really inappropriate times, and I even suspected, based on the administrators under "track changes" on word, that she pretty much totally rewrote a paper of his one time.

23. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 16, 2012

I, too, have often had the children of teachers or TAs in my class. I don't think I have any this year but I will definitely have one next year (only 2 classes per grade, and we're departmentalized).

The key to success for me has been to initiate a gentle conversation with the parents explaining that I plan to treat their child like every other child in my class-- with lots of love and care, but consistnet expectations. I let them know that I will keep them informed about the child's behavior the same ways that I do other parents-- usually notes or emails home, *not* visits during the school day or after school-- and my belief that it teaches the child responsibility if they are not allowed to return to the parent's classroom for ice cream money, forgotten homework, etc. My colleagues have been supportive of this (so far) and most agreed wholeheartedly. Hopefully the trend will continue.