May 19th CSET

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by katrinkakat, May 4, 2007.

1. Pluto

Pluto Rookie

May 17, 2007

It's one thing for a study guide to be riddled with grammatical errors and typos; it's quite another for it to completely misrepresent the way in which each subtest will be scored!

This really puts the Boo in Boosalis.

Thanks to all for your insight! This is encouraging news.

Pluto

2. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

May 18, 2007

Don't forget to relax tomorrow

hey up just a bit, so all of you taking the test on Saturday have some fun tomorrow,do something ( I went out to eat pizza and went to the movies the day before i took the test), but remember not too much fun. Get some well earned sleep time. You all have definatley earned it with all of the studying you have done over the past weeks. I wish you all the best. We are cheering for you!:D

3. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

May 18, 2007

Best wishes coming your way. Take a deep breath and just relax.
    :D

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2007

The performance indicators on side 2 of the score report are there to guide the test taker who needs to retake one or more subtests; they're not about passing or not passing.

5. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

May 18, 2007

One More Night of Studying

I'm new to this forum and it's nice to know that someone is somewhat on the same page as me. I've passed Subtest 1 and 2 the first time, so I'm on my last and final stretch to take Subtest 3 (my weakness). Anyone have any quick study ideas? I've been studying a little bit here and there, but I feel that I need some tips to consume the knowledge for this test. I need to pass so that I can be NCLB compliant (already got MS credential).:eek:

6. Pluto

Pluto Rookie

May 18, 2007

Hi Christinak6,

I wish I had some proven advice for you -- but Saturday will be my first time taking any of the subtests.

For what it's worth, I've been reading through the subtest III review material in CliffsTestPrep's CSET Multiple Subjects and have found it to be very useful and easy to digest. It's broken down into the three content areas: physical education, human development, and visual and performing arts. What's great is that the information is very concise, so you won't get bogged down in thousands of details (as you might in the Boosalis study guide). If you have the time or the inclination, I recommend running out and picking up the CliffsTestPrep book.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Pluto

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2007

Some people do well with Cliffs and some don't, and that's the case with pretty much any way to prep for CSET.

Christinak6, let me ask: What are you seeing on side 2 of your score reports? Is the difficulty in multiple choice or in constructed response? In one or two domains or fairly evenly across the three domains?

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 18, 2007

I've been studying Cliffs for Subtest III as well. I find using both Cliffs and Boosalis (errors and all) together works for me. Cliffs is nice and concise and has those practice tests, but Boosalis has much more information. Anyway, we're running out of study time!
    Sleep well tonight everyone.

9. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

May 18, 2007

Tomorrow!!! Good luck everyone! Make sure you don't overlook studying the ACTUAL CSET stuff found on the website, I hear questions come back around, and it's the only 'real' questions out there. :)

I know the test is long and stressful, so take a deep breath and I'm sure we'll all be ok!! (the part I'm not looking forward to is that month wait for the scores!)

10. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 18, 2007

Yes, but at least we can relax and read the pile of books and magazines that we haven't been able to read, cause any free time has been spent studying! I can't wait till Sunday!

11. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 18, 2007

Ah, Sunday! Then it's right back to studying for subset 2 on Monday. Or Tuesday.

12. Pluto

Pluto Rookie

May 18, 2007

To all who have taken the CSET before,

In your experience, how does your sense of how well you've done correlate to how well you've actually done?

Has anyone ever thought, "There's no way I could have passed" -- but then it turned out otherwise? Or vice versa?

I'm just curious if I'm going to have to drive myself insane during the long month of not knowing whether I've passed, or if I'll feel fairly certain one way or the other.

Pluto

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2007

That depends, Pluto. How are you generally as a test taker?

The Examinations for Teachers threads are full of posts by test takers who were sure they hadn't passed but then were pleasantly surprised.

Don't lose heart, okay?

14. Pluto

Pluto Rookie

May 18, 2007

TeacherGroupie,

That's good to know! I hope to be pleasantly surprised!

I'm a decent test taker -- but when it comes to writing under pressure, I tend to freeze up. I'm worried plenty about the multiple choice sections, but I'm especially worried about the constructed response questions. For one thing, I find it difficult to compose on paper. And for another, there's little room to "fudge" a constructed response about the Monroe Doctrine, for example, if you simply don't know what the Monroe Doctrine is!

(The Monroe Doctrine stated that Europe cannot interfere in the affairs of the Americas, and that the U.S. will only get involved in European affairs if it deems its own rights have been infringed.)

Thanks, and keeping heart!
    Pluto

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2007

Bear in mind, Pluto, that constructed responses are scored on a scale from 0 to 3: it's perfectly possible to get partial credit.

16. urbancoastoffrd

urbancoastoffrd Rookie

May 18, 2007

question about language acquisition

What exactly do we need to know about language acquisition for the MS I? I am not entirely familiar with the ESL theories and progression of learning, so I don't think I could wing it. I was just curious if anyone could tell me what their book might have explained that mine did not. Also, is there a good website for understanding the progression of student's spelling? I have looked all over google and other search engines and have not found a decent explanation that I feel prepared to regurgitate if I received a short answer question regarding a student's spelling errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, (promise, this is the last also for this entry) the impacts of the migration during the 1930's to CA...was this just the attempt to stop people from entering, the eventual Okie subculture in Central CA--western culture, preparation for the economic boom WWII because of aviation and other venues? The practice test did not have a very good explanation for the question and I (like many others) do not remember much besides line-dancing from elementary school unit on CA. So, any help would be GREAT!!!
    Thanks!
    Cassie
    RIVERSIDE

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2007

If you're aware that there are theories, and if you have a general idea that language acquisition goes in stages (and more or less what they consist of), you should be fine on that.

On spelling, try this: “Phonics, Spelling, and Vocabulary Development” (Albemarle County Public Schools, June 12,
    1995, http://www.k12albemarle.org/Instruction/LanguageArts/PDF/vocab.pdf). Bottom line is that you need to know whether the spellings are normal for age or not.

The 1930s migration is indeed the Okies.

18. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 18, 2007

Urban,
    Which book are you using?

19. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 18, 2007

Also, Urban, read the cr questions first. Then, when you are answering the mc questions, you may come across ideas or vocab which can help you answer the cr questions.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2007

Be aware that there are questions to which you won't know the answer immediately - and neither will anyone else: the answers are to be found out. So the fact that you don't know a particular answer doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong.

21. Pluto

Pluto Rookie

May 19, 2007

Good luck to each and every one of you!

Pluto

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2007

And to you, Pluto.

23. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

May 19, 2007

I'm back!!!! How does everyone feel post test?

24. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

May 19, 2007

This time around Subtest II was ok. I felt like I had strong knowledge on all the CR's, but the math mc I don't feel as great about. We'll see. I just feel so frustrated, I think I'm finally coming down off my adrenline high. I do have one large grievance. When you are taking a test, please bring kleenex. The girl who sat behind me sniffled the ENTIRE time. People please. I'm done!

25. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

May 19, 2007

I guess I should write how I feel. I took all 3, and it took me about 4 hours (I'm a quick test taker). I'm confident I passed II & III, I feel a bit more shaky about subtest I, there were a few questions that came from left field, but I think I probably passed it as well. I have to have, so I am crossing my fingers. 30 days 'til results, right? :)

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 19, 2007

Hi everyone,
    I took all three, too, and finished at 20 till 1. I stayed until the time was up to be sure I answered all the questions and to check my CR questions. It was nice to meet an AtoZ poster in person, JD123 sat two seats behind me!
    I got enough sleep last night, and had a good breakfast. I did study last night and even a little this morning though. I'm glad I left early because parking lot was jammed, and I had to find a spot on a side street. I was surprised that I was the only one in the class that received all three test booklets. The administrator said "going for broke huh?"
    I had no problem with math portion, probably because I took three math courses recently (2005) for my Bachelors degree. Science had one problem relating to plant respiration and the formula that I had not come across in my studying. English/Literature was pretty straight forward, and History was a little challenging. There were absolutely no questions on California history, the Cival War, Renaissance, the Missions, the Industrial Revolution, the American Revolution. I did have 4 questions regarding the African slave trade. Music questions were easy but Child Development (my major!) and Physical Ed. questions were tricky. I didn't have any problems with the Constructed Response questions. I could think of enough facts and supporting info to fill up the page on each one.
    I brought water and at the end of the test realized I had only taken one sip! There was a restroom right outside our door, so I took advantage of that and took 3 breaks (each about 30 seconds!)
    I was very happy when it was over! I celebrated by going to lunch with mom and my daughter. Then bought myself a new sundress (one of those ones you want to put on after work!) at Target and my 10 year old daughter bought me some dark chocolate covered macadamia nuts (awesome!) My hubby brought home Chinese food and we made our own mai-tais! Tomorrow I will be reading the entire Sunday papers in the jacuzzi!:cool:

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2007

Sounds promising, katrinkakat, and I look forward to good news from you come June.

28. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 19, 2007

I started a new post, but I'll comment here, too. There were only four questions about slavery? I thought there were more! The history portion was very unbalanced -very disappointing. I spent so much time making sure I had a working knowledge of almost every era of history, but there was so much that wasn't addressed. I wish there were more linguistics questions - my major.
    It was very nice to meet Katrinkakat! Only 2 seats apart!

29. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

May 20, 2007

Thank you TeacherGroupie and Pluto,
    I'm reading your advice after the fact that I took Subtest 3 yesterday. The test wasn't that bad and I thought that I was pretty prepared for it. I felt very confident about passing, but I'll only know how confident I really was until I get my results in 4 weeks. The next 4 weeks are going to be grueling!!!

30. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

May 20, 2007

Katinkakak,
    Sounds like you did great on the test and that your family support group only makes it seem more meaningful to leave them so early and take such an exam. You sounds like me except my kids are 1, 3, and 6.

31. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

May 20, 2007

Relax Pluto!
    I beat myself up (emotionally) 4 weeks after taking subtest 2 in April and I have three small kids at home 1,3, and 6 (where do I have time to study???). I was presently surprised that I passed and my results were bitter sweet. What I did to ease my own anxiety 4 weeks after the test is keep myself super busy and stop counting the days until I can get my results. I'm sure that you passed and let's all cheer everyone that wants to teach or just needs to be NCLB compliant because this test is just one step into teaching.

32. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 20, 2007

JD123~
    I agree that the history section was very unbalanced. Maybe the questions are spit out of a computer at random. That could explain why some people get all questions on the Cival War and no questions on anything else. Well, look at all the things we've learned from all that studying. I feel I could at least tell you a little bit about everything in history, and that's a lot more than I could say 5 months ago!
    You're probably right about the slavery questions. I remembered 4 for sure, but there might have been more. I had a friend who took the CSET 3 times and highlighted things in my Cliffs saying "for sure you will get a question on this!" And guess what? I didn't have questions on any of those that he highlighted and said "for sure"
    (one was the causes of the American Revolution) I don't know how many versions their are, but it's rediculous to try and tell someone what will be for sure on the CSET. It could be anything.
    Well good luck and let's start a new post for May 19th results!! ~Katie

33. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

May 20, 2007

Katie -

I was one of 4 who were taking all 3 (out of 25) and there were only 2 taking 2, so their were tons just taking one. We must have had the exact same test! I was very disappointed with the history section, history is not something I'm great at so I studied hard on it. Focused a lot on CA history. And NONE of what I had studied was on it. It was frustrating, I'm hoping I passed. I brought my test taking skills so I'm hoping those brought me through.

GOOD LUCK! It will be a long 4 weeks (and I can't wait to hear so I can QUIT my current job!) I'm hoping we'll hear by e-mail a few days earlier then the 18th like I did with the CBEST

34. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 20, 2007

That would be great! I'll keep checking my email. I will be so busy with end of the year activities, etc. hopefully I'll forget all about it until then. What do you do? I teach Head Start currently. I want to apply for intern positions soon and enroll in Cal State Teach starting in September. That would be great. I'm hoping to teach K-1st or 2nd. How about you? On the test I had to use process of elimination many times, and also just logical skills to guess at the correct answer. [edited] Overall I don't think it was too bad, though. It was, a little easier than I thought it would be. The questions weren't TOO obscure. ANyway, on with the rest of life!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  35. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

May 20, 2007

Katie -

I sell insurance currently (Pet Insurance to be specific). I'm with Teach for America's 2007 Corps in Los Angeles, so as long as I passed yesterday then I will be teaching K-5 (I interviewed on Friday with the school district but I don't have my specific classroom/grade level yet, I'm hoping for 3rd, 4th or 5th). TFA training starts on June 22nd, so I was hoping to be able to give my job more then 3 days notice that I was leaving, but I can't quit unless I know for sure I passed. If I didn't pass I will defer to 2008 and be teaching the following fall.

I do agree, they weren't too obscure, just more obscure then I would have liked!

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2007

No specific test questions, please.

37. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 20, 2007

Oops, did somebody say a no-no, or was that just a friendly reminder?

38. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 20, 2007

oh, sorry. That was me. I wasnt sure if I was being too specific, I guess I was!

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2007

Better for you and all of us to err on the side of caution...

40. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 20, 2007

right, I was concentrating on not giving out the answer and in the process I gave out the question. my bad!