Matt

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Aliceacc, May 12, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

Let me tell you about Matt. He's one of my students. In the halls, in subs, even in the cafeteria, I love Matt. He's bright and genuine and a real sweet kid.

But in my class, I want to do him bodily harm.

Matt is in 7th grade, so he's 12 or 13. This is his first year in the classroom; he was homeschooled prior to this point. (Whether or not that's relevant, I don't know.)

Matt just doesn't know the social conventions that the other kids take for granted. He's the one who one day last fall took out a sandwich during my class. He didn't try to sneak it; he was hungry so he pulled out his lunch. He will interrupt me mid-word to ask if he can go to the bathroom. If my attention is not focused on HIM, he has a lot of trouble focusing on me. He'll ask a question, I'll answer it, then he'll turn around and talk while I answer a classmate's question. When corrected, he'll apologize. Then two minutes later, he's tapping his pencil or staring out the window. Last week I had to CLOSE THE BLINDS on a warm day because there was a delivery truck outside the window. It was delivering candy to the cafeteria (yes, we sell candy). Matt could have done the inventory, he announced each thing that came off the truck, half to himself. ("big carton of starburst... twix... hershey bars...) No, I'm not making this up.

He drives the kids a bit nuts too. They like him, but he drives them nuts at the same time. I have to remind them almost daily in the cafeteria to be nice to him. These are the good kids. But he's such a nudge.

His mom is a psycho. (She recently accused her son of changing a test grade from 24 to 29. Um, Mrs. Nutso: don't you think he would have changed the TENS digit????)

I feel bad for Matt while at the same time I want to strangle him! I think that next year, when he's in someone else's class, I'll like him a lot more!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 12, 2007

Sounds like my 8th grader. But he was never homeschooled. I also have a 7th just gets up in the middle of a test and goes and gets a drink or goes the bathroom. UGH.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

Honestly, I"m not blaming the homeschooling-- he's a B student in math.

But he just doesn't seem to know the things that the others do without question. (Like, if you're going to do your Latin homework in math, you make some attempt to hide it!!)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2007

Obviously, he got his math skills directly from mom. Some home-schooled kids don't learn socially appropriate behavior, at least appropriate for the classroom. He may not have gotten enough outside socialization. He needs to be taught these things just as if he were a K student. This is very annoying in a middle school class.

I got a student (5th) in January who had been home-schooled and she is the most observant student in the class who listens to every single direction and is happy to carry them out. So, being home-schooled is not an excuse for your kid, either; his deficits could be either part of his personality or even a disability.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

I'm guessing that psycho-mom just never taught those aspects of schooling. If Matt was hungry during a math lesson, he ate. When he had a question it got answered immediatley. He was always on task because it was 1 on 1, not 35 on 1.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 12, 2007

He will learn Alice! Maybe you should have social lunch club next year to teach him these things. JK.

I am worried about my 8th and one of my 7th graders going to high school next yr or the year to follow. They just don't get what it is going to be like being in a class of 16+. I course I think they said the graduating class was 40 this year. But still.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

Wow. There are 40 kids in my 9th period class.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2007

Hahahaha. The kids in my school (average class size is about 8) seem to adapt very well to high school and larger class sizes. Some of them can't wait to kind of 'blend into the woodwork' I suspect.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

I worry about some of my grade 8 boys and how they will do in high school next year. I keep hearing--" Don't worry, we'll behave in class next year" or "We won't act like this in high school". Hello---if you aren't going to do it next year, why should you do it now!?!

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 12, 2007

Perhaps it is that he is a boy... I have a boy now who was home schooled up until this year. He would not wear shoes (I nipped that quickly), wanted to leave the room whenever, eat whenever, and was only used to learning for about 2 hours a day. That ment that after 10am he was unable to function.

By this point in the year, he can finally put his name on 98% of his papers, a 50/50 chance he will write on the correct side of the paper. Needless to say, I will never have a child named Zack.

(Although I had already decided that after the Zack I had who wore lipstick, carried a purse, and wore short shorts w/ cowboy boots!)

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 12, 2007

I wish my students would put their names on their papers. They always say well you can figure it out. I told them it's five points off next time there is no name. It is annoy! I stink at figuring out their hand writing. I always have to ask one of the girls lol. They always put their names on the their papers. It's the three boys that don't. And the little kids are better trained or something they always put theirs on their papers too.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

:eek: :eek: :eek:

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

It's funny how one kid can totally ruin a good name for you, isn't it??

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 12, 2007

Hahahahah!!!!!! Too funny.

16. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 12, 2007

Poor Alice. You get all the funny ones... :)

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 13, 2007

I always like the kids who give me problems when they have moved on and not in my class anymore. I know it is bad but I can't wait for 3 of my students to move on. They make my day so difficult.

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 13, 2007

Yep. At this point all my faves have been tarnished by some llittle "angel"... I knew a kid named Damian who lived up to his name.....LOL

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 13, 2007

I'm apply to teach the at risk incoming kindergartners next year.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2007

We had something like this discussion in my class Friday night: one of the women who teaches special education said her students were wondering last week why she doesn't have kids of her own. They'd been just obnoxious enough all week that she was seriously tempted to point them out as inducements to birth control.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 13, 2007

Hahahahah:D

22. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

May 13, 2007

I will not grade papers that do not have the student's names on them. They go straight into the trash, and I tell my students this at the beginning of the year.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2007

Yesterday Matt was sound asleep in my class... to the point that I had to shake him awake. (his current test average is 46.) I mentioned it to his guidance counselor but didn't penalize him; I think his medication is being adjusted. A kid who does that often I'll deal with, but a one time thing I'll ignore.

Today he was a bit lost (duh!!) Once he caught on to what I was doing, he promptly ignored me. I asked him to see me after school and read him the riot act!!!

8 more days of classes.

24. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 30, 2007

Oh Alice hang in there! I feel your pain...A version of Matt in my class would be Sydney. She thinks she can do whatever whenever. Today she put two chairs together and was simply laying across, closing her eyes on them. She taps her pencil all the time...I think this young girl just demands attention. She knows when she is wrong, looks right at me and either laughs or smiles. Don't get me wrong she's a cutie pie! She talks and talks...between shouting across the room to others and turning around. One thing that bugs me the most is when I am teaching, she has to answer every single question...BY BLURTING out the answers!!!!! She will just get up out of her seat and stand whenever she feels like it. So frustrating. Some of the boys in my class call her annoying...sometimes I feel like joining in! But 12 more days of classes for me!

Wow, I rambled a lot sorry...

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2007

I wonder if it's the name. My Matt was a licker. (4th grade) He would lay his head on his arms and lick everything he could reach (including his desk and books) The front of his shirt was always soaked because every time I turned around he would have it in his mouth. We broke that habit pretty quickly. I've had mixed experiences with homeshooled kids. For those where the parents were really involved and handled it well, the kids had no problem coming into the classroom. For those who were isolated at home during homeschooling, they struggled.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2007

No, actually it's not the name. I changed it on the off chance that someone stumbled across it.

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 31, 2007

LOL, oh!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2007

Today's installment in the Matt and Alice show:

I was starting Pythagorean Theorem and gave a big buildup about how boring it was in ancient Greece-- no IPODs, no TV... not much to do but start the Olympics and come up with math theorems.

Matt apparently found that funnier than the rest of us, and fell out of his chair onto the floor laughing. I gave him a detention slip.

At lunch he asked me about the slip. I told him it was unacceptable behavior in a classroom.
    His response: yeah, but it was funny.
    Mine: true, but unacceptable.
    His: why? it was funny!
    mine: You wearing a bikini into my class would also be funny, but also unacceptable.
    his: yeah,it would be. But this was funny.

He just has no grasp of what is acceptable in a classroom and what is not. I don't dislike him; there's not a mean bone in his body. But I'm counting the days until he's his mom's to love and cherish for a few months.

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 1, 2007

Is he on meds for ADD/ADHD? Could he have Aspergers - bright, poor social skills, inappropriate behavior and just doesn't get why... OR is it just from his home environment?

30. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 1, 2007

Things could be worse: You could have my son in your class, he has absolutly NO sense of humor, God just forgot to give him a funnybone in his body!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

Deftly, deftly phrased, Alice!

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2007

Yesterday, as we were preparing for next week's cumulative final exam, Matt stood up and pretended to ride a horsie in my class. He got yet another detention.

For what it's worth, classroom management is NOT normally an issue with me. I've been doing this a long time, and my classes are generally well behaved.

But this child is something else!!!

33. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 9, 2007

I have not had a homeschooled kid come to me like Matt and can't imagine what that would be like in 7th grade! I think I would have had to get my own meds to deal with that on a daily basis! :eek:

34. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 9, 2007

Probably this post is close to the mark.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2007

Yes, he is on meds, although I don't know the exact nature.

I'm guessing it's a combination of things: psycho-mom, a background that included no exposure to a classroom of other kids, whatever affliction necessitates the meds, his own personality... I don't know.

He's almost become a cult hero of sorts with the kids. It's like driving past a car accident-- you know you shouldn't look, but you feel compelled to. They watch in amazement as he pulls these stunts. He does things they wouldn't have the nerve or imagination to even come up with.

I'll like him a whole lot more next year when someone else teaches him. That's if he manages to last another week and a half without being thrown out.

36. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 9, 2007

I've known some homeschoolers who did it BECAUSE their child were off the wall like this. The child walked to such a different drummer that they figured that homeschooling would be a better option. Since Mom is also off the wall, maybe there's a genetic component. Maybe she did it until she started going nuts, since homeschooling can so compound any dysfunction in family life. I can think of more than one example of this reason for homeschooling.