Mathematics Content knowledge (0061/5061)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Barbd, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Hello all. Just wanted to come in give two heads up.

1) Apparently PRAXIS is changing a lot of tests this year and this is one of them. It will be (summer/fall) 5161. It has a new scoring and everything. There are a lot of new computer tests coming up apparently, so double check any you registered for. :eek:

I found out the hard way and had a mini panic attack. I was registered to take the 5061 and saw the state criteria for the upcoming school year is for a different test with a different score. It doesn't go into effect until September, so I should be good. (right??? Please tell me I didn't just go through that grueling horror to have it not be a valid test!) :help:

2) 5061 - It was a HARD test. Don't think people are exaggerating on this one. I've taken 3 subject tests (Middle School Math, Social Studies, and this one). It was by far the most difficult one I've taken. It is a lot of math to do in a very short period of time. It jumps from Trig to Matrices to Calculus to basic Algebra and just all over the place.

You need to go in ready to walk away from a problem and come back to it if you have time. I paced myself great for the first 1/2 of the test. I had about 1:15 left on the test at question 25. By question 35, I had 30 minutes left. I literally ran out of time and just clicked anything for the last 5 questions because I had seconds left.
    You need to know your stuff. You can't go in there thinking I've got this. You need to know your math forward, backward, and sideways.

I've had some personal issues and couldn't study like I wanted to. I was almost not going to take the test because I've had so much going on. But my current job requires it, so I went ahead and took it. I got a 155. Passing in my state. Not a great score, but I will happily take it.

Good luck to anyone out there headed to take it soon. I know a lot of people are taking a lot of tests right now for the upcoming year. Check your tests! Make sure they aren't being replaced.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2013

Good advice, Barbd, and congratulations on passing!

4. just120

just120 New Member

Aug 15, 2013

Praxis 0061

What is the best study guide for Praxis II Mathematics: Content Knowledge (0061/5061)

5. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Aug 15, 2013

Somehow I never saw your congrats TeacherGroupie. Thanks.

Just120, I think I just PMed you, but I used a few practice tests online. The books and the ETS materials are NOT an indication of how difficult the test is.

If you are able to do the test questions in about a minute (which I was for most from the book), they are too easy to give you true practice.

I used Khan Academy as a refresher and some CDs I had from college for Calculus.

And one thing I tell everyone, make sure you really know how to use your calculator. I had to spend a lot of time because I'm from the old school and never used a graphing calculator until I started teaching secondary math.

6. fjnbailey

fjnbailey New Member

Oct 22, 2014

Hello,
    I want to take Praxis 5161, but I am at a lost as to what materials to use for studying. Can someone tell me specific materials to buy or use online. I want to take this test around spring break. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 2, 2015

help with 5061

I have taken it twice and missed both times by 3 points.
    HELP!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 2, 2015

Hugs, kidatheart.

Your score report should include some kind of performance indicator that shows how you did in each domain (=subject subarea) tested, compared to the number of raw points available and - possibly - compared to other test takers. If there's a specific domain or two in which you're coming up short, I think I'd recommend Khan Academy to begin with.