Mathematically impossible to pass...

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by MissEducation, Mar 9, 2010.

1. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Mar 9, 2010

I ran into this issue during student teaching where a kid would have such a low grade for the first grading period that it was mathematically impossible for him/her to make a passing grade for the semester. (At this school, the semester grade was the only official grade and was the average between the first and second and then third and fourth GPs.) If the student realizes this, he/she is likely to give up, because what's the point?

Although this is not how grades are figured at my middle school (kids get report cards each grading period) toward the end of the grading period (or sometimes even in the middle) kids realize that they are so far behind it is unlikely they'll be able to pass. Then they totally zone out and refuse to participate, turn in homework, etc.

How do you deal with this?? Our GP ends Friday and I will be one happy camper to be on my fourth and final one of the year!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 9, 2010

For our freshmen and sophomores, no matter how bad their grade it, we have to bump them up to a 55%. This is of course still failing, BUT it makes it possible for them to pass the class if they do well enough the second marking period (we do block schedules so no matter what class it is, you have it for two terms) and on the final they can still pass for the year. So for some, this helps prevent what you are running in to. Of course, many do give up because it would be too much work to actually do well enough with the time that is left to pass. I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to mention what my school does to help prevent this attitude during the second marking period.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 9, 2010

That's the same reason we don't go under 55% for an F.

5. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Mar 9, 2010

I see the value in minimum grades for this very reason, as I have a student right now with a 28, which will probably be lower by the time report cards come out next week. However, my school doesn't have a minimum grade policy, and my state is actually in the process of passing a bill that would prohibit such policies.

6. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

do you have a credit recovery program???? have kids sign a contract that if they work hard the 2nd marking period you'll change the 1st marking period to the same grade? i've had alot of success with that

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 11, 2010

This is a good idea. :thumb: