Math Workshop??? - See Link

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoerba, Jul 17, 2010.

1. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

touchthefuture- how many kids during the 45 minute time?

zoerba-I would introduce the new concept to everyone. Then my high group could do the work on their own possibly during the 1st workbook station. I would only take about 10 minutes though. I will have to set myself a timer because otherwise I am sure I would go on. Then, hopefully I could get them to master it during group time. And when I met with my high group I would check for understanding and then move to enrichment if they had it or reteach if they still needed help.

2. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

It would be my whole class of approx. 18 students.

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

I do a whole group mini lesson introducing the topic/ reviewing the rotations if something is new or different.

Then we split into 3 groups- based pretty much around how they did the last few days (so kids who are really high in say, addition, but very week on money, can move among the H-M-L groups as needed).

Group 1- with me
    Group 2- independent practice, usually of the previous lesson so that I know everyone has gotten it in group already.
    Group 3- hands on/games in pairs

I am working on putting together tubs and task cards for early finishers/ extra challenge/practice.

Last year, they could play old games, but they would often forget about them. This year, I want to make a ziploc bag with instructions/materials for each game, so they can just grab a baggie and go.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2010

Wonderful plan!! Only thing, if someone else hasn't said it, don't have group H be peer tutors for group L. Group H needs their enrichment... I teach an advanced class, so enrichment is the main focus for my kids. The only time they help kids who really need it is when they have time to visit their Book Buddies in kindergarten. Otherwise, great job. :)

5. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

Ms. Jatzal - I totally agree that the high kids need their enrichment. I was thinking I would give those high kids the choice - so they wouldn't have to be a peer helper unless they chose it over the game/activity.

Do you think this would be okay?

Danny's Nanny - your approach sounds almost identical to the approach listed in my original post. How do you initially seperate your students into groups? Do you change their groupings often, and how do you keep track of it? Also, how do you communicate the group changes with the students?

Thanks!

6. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

7. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

Touchthefuture--Do you have to cover a new concept everyday? Maybe you could do a minilesson over the new concept, then meet with your low group. The next day you could meet with your medium and high group. At the end of the second day meet with your low group again just to ensure they still have the concept. (5-10 minutes or so) But doing it this way you will only be able to cover a new concept every two day.

Hope this helps. I think it is very similar to what you said earlier.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

After the mini lesson, I write Group 1, Group 2, Group 3 on the board and put the names for each. They stay fairly similar throughout a topic, but I'll often move kids around for things like - Suzie was absent yesterday, so I'll put her in the Middle group just so I'm sure she really gets it, instead of the High group for enrichment.

I use observations during the lesson and go through their independent work to sort the groups for the next day.

So, unlike my reading groups, which stay more stable over time, my math groups would change daily.

I hope that makes sense!:dizzy:

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

I think that I might do a specific game Mon-Thurs, and give choice on Friday. How do you think that would work? Would the kids remember the games well enough to play them?

I'm so excited about this! I spent several hours yesterday trying to plan out my games for first quarter... and I had a list of like 20 games! I think I am going to have to narrow them down!

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

We do something totally different, but our kids choose which station they want to do. They probably think of the stations as games...
    Anyways, sometimes there are 10 stations out. They have no problem remembering how to play.
    Then again, all of our stations work on the same concept and it doesn't matter which one they choose,because they'll still be working on the same concept.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2010

12. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Wow, Ms. Jasztal, I actually found a site that you haven't seen already. I'm feeling pretty good! :)

I love the top picture of the 'Math Workshop Model' chart. It is so succinct yet detailed.

I don't have any new news as far as math workshop goes - I love everyone's ideas but am very concerned about pacing. My school has a strict math pacing guide. I pretty much have to cover a lesson per day and am not sure how I can accomplish this with the workshop model.

Still pondering math workshop..........hmm....

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

We have a pacing guide for Investigations. And for those of you that have used it before, it is a lot of repetition. Luckily, I think that it should be pretty simple to adapt to a workshop format (I think you are actually supposed to have a workshop at the end of each lesson).

I figure I am going to give it a try with the first unit. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, I can always switch back to what I was doing before... but this sounds so much more fun (not only for the kids, but for me!). Luckily I will also have 3 adults in the room... I will have an aide for a student in a wheelchair, and my ESOL teacher. This should be a huge help (especially the first few weeks as the students get used to the routine).

14. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

UVAgrl- do you use the student workbooks that go with Investigations?

15. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

We weren't really using them, so we decided not to order them this year. Personally I didn't like them, because they only have like 2 problems per page. So if I wanted them to actually practice a skill, they would have to do several pages!

16. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

Ok, we never got them so we would have to print and copy any page if we wanted to use it (which I only did once or twice all year). I'm wanting my kids to have more pencil and paper practice this year so I thought those worksheets might be nice since they go along with each lesson. Did you make up practice sheets to go along with the investigations or did your kids not do much written practivve either?
    I know they are supposed to solve problems and show their thinking in math journals, but if I'm going to be teaching small groups then I feel like one problem in a journal will not keep them busy for a whole 15 or 20 minute station.
    Sorry this is so long, I'm just finding it hard to include appropriate seatwork in the math workshop set up while also using investigations. But I've got a few more weeks to think it over=)