Math Workshop...Any Ideas??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

I think I have posted something like this before, but I didn't get alot of help. I want to "upgrade":rolleyes: my math time to a more workshop approach! I am sooooo excited about this, and want to do it. But just can't think of ways to implement the management of it and ways to keep the kids busy working independently. I am all aware of how to do the Reading Workshop & Writing Workshop thing, but how do you find materials, games, activities, independent work for ALL your students EVERDAY while you work with a low group????? What is the management part of it???? How should that chunk of time go??? What should it look like????

I need your help!! Please give me some suggestions or ideas. How can I do this???:dunno:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2007

I use a lot of math games YT. Games with cards and dice for 'math facts', other manipulative (tens blocks, Judy clocks, pattern blocks...) for other concepts. Some of the games have been shared by colleagues, some I've made up, some I find onlline or in books. One great book you might want to check out is "Nimble with Numbers"...It comes in several grade levels. I teach second and have bot the grade 1/2 and the grade 2/3 books and use both often for game ideas....

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 29, 2007

I'm thinking the same thing. Right now I do a minilesson, kids usually do a worksheet or something else (like yesterday they drew patterns on stiped t-shirt outlines), and then when they finish they work with math manipulatives with partners. I put a bunch of different objects in bags, like attribute blocks, shells, mosaic tiles, foam beads, buttons, etc. Kids counted and sorted them last week when we were working on that, this week they are making patterns with them. Next week I think we are going to start addition/subtraction concepts, so maybe I'll have them use 3 section plates, dominoes, math mats, etc.

I'm not sure how I want to organize this yet. Right now they are working in partners, the first day I chose, the next day they could choose. I think I might want to give them math partners for a while. I don't know if I want it to be more of a "free exploration" type thing (which is kind of what we are doing now, but it's a little more focused on the skill we are doing), if I should have math centers that rotate, or if I have a Math Menu that has several activities on it, and students can choose which activities to do.

5. Youngteacher226

Aug 29, 2007

Thanks czacza!!!!

I am wondering the same things! I don't know how to manage this or how I want the children working while during the workshop. I was up really late even after posting this and found some great ideas from googling "math workshop approach" but still need more. I did notice that some teachers do like a minilesson, guided practice, then sends the kids off to do different things while working with strugglers. I did research one way of doing it is to have one group of kids working with manipulatives on a concept, then another group of kids can be working on a math computer game, then another group can be doing math games/activities/centers, then another group can be working in their math journals doing some of these things:
    Make a web.
    Draw a picture and label.
    Write a definition in your own words.
    Create examples of the skill/concept and explain.
    Write about a real-life use of this math concept or skill.
    Connect the concept/skill to concepts/skills you already learned and use.
    Reflect on your understanding of this concept/skill on a scale of 1-5 and explain.
    Create a K-W-L chart of what you already know, what you want to know and what you have learned about the concept/skill.

And then another group could be working with the teacher.
    I just don't know how this all goes. And I would love some other ideas of how to do this.:up:

6. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 31, 2007

I'm so glad this has been brought up. I was thinking this out ALL summer and may have a way that will work for me, but would love some input/ideas. We've just finished our first week of school and I would like to start my math workshop in about a week (if this is considered a true math workshop...I'm not 100% sure about this). I've decided to try to do the following:
    1. (20 min)Teach mini-lesson/activity whole group.
    2. (15-20 min)students complete assignment with paper and/or manipulatives at desk while I meet with a group.
    3. (20-30 min) when students complete the assigment they will report to their math workstations for the day.
    *when I finish meeting with the small group they will complete their seat work and, if time, play a math board game.

Workstations will include:
    1. Math Box
    2. Math Box
    3. Problem of the Day Journal (record it on tape for them to listen along for non-readers/low readers)- students solve word problem and demonstrate how in journal
    4. Read Math Picture Books
    5. Computer
    6. Folder Games

Math boxes will be changed out depending on what we have been learning or reviewing. Some Math Box Ideas I have:

Measurement- measure w/ unifix cubes, compare mass using a balance, follow a recipes using measuring cups (ex. playdough)
    Geometry- matching/ memory game (1 card with picture of shape has to match another card with the description), geoboards, sorting shapes, make a pattern with shape stamps

Number Comparison/Numerals- play war with playing cards, matching/memory game (numeral matches a card with pictures of items, base 10 block picture matching numeral, word matching with numeral, tally marks matching with numeral), make the number with base 10 blocks

Add/Subtract- flash cards, add #'s on dice, roll dice and write fact families for the 2 numbers, dominoes, cards (add the numbers), mad minutes

Estimation- estimate quantity in jar and write in journal

Time- memory/matching game (digital/analog), deck of cards with pictures of times (digital or analog) and show that time on the clock

If you have any other ideas that would work for 1st grade please let me know.

7. Youngteacher226

Aug 31, 2007

I LOVE:wub:the way you've explained how you will do your math block! That was exactly how I pictured my math workshop to look like. It makes alot of sense to me to do it like this. The only thing that worries me is having enough materials to keep those math tubs stocked & filled with activities.:confused: I guess if I look at it like you are, I can put maybe 4-5 activities in the designated tub for that math unit & they can use them as they rotate. I definately have file folder games for them to manipulate. Thank you for your input!

I would love to hear other ideas as well!

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 31, 2007

I'm doing this year also. I am calling it "guided math."

While they are not meeting with me they will:

Do "math journals" which is a story problem which they illustrate, solve and explain in a journal.

"math labs" which are hands on center activities, open ended investigations. These are discoveries they can make by doing a math experiment. I am using the Marilyn Burns book "The Good Time Math Event book" which is out of print but on Amazon. It is REALLY cool!

"Independent Practice" this is skill practice, basically worksheets.

"Fluency Practice" timed fact practice, flashcards, etc.

"Games" a variety of math games, either from the curriculum or math centered board or card games.

"Comuters" I will have websites they can go to in order to practice skills we are currently working on.

I will not always have each thing available. It will depend on what we are doing in math and what the unit is about.

Aside from fluency and maybe the independent math, everything should be tied into the specific concepts we are working on in the small groups.

9. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I almost forgot...for patterns I am going to have stamps, beads to be put on a string, or shaped/colored pasta noodles to be pasted on construction paper or a picture mat.

10. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 1, 2007

cb4pebbles I love your ideas too. I hadn't thought of having a center be "math books" I have so many that I forget to use!! I had one to add that I just organized this summer. A Weekly Graph center. Kids can go during mathtime when done with seatwork. I have pocket chart graph and I'll post up a question a week. I used D.J. Inkers kids (new border) cut up from borders and laminated with their names on them. It looks really cute and I found a few posts here on graphing ideas lists. I will type one up a week on cutesy scrapbook paper and post above pocket chart. I titled it Top 5 Favorites Weekly Graph. Anyway here is a few ideas to manage your centers. That's always the hardest part for me.

Put your 7 or so strands on the front of 7 bins. Start adding the games, file folder games, dice, money, etc. I don't put all my manipulatives, just the ones that are small or that are in individual games.
    Geometry, Time, Money, Place Value, Measuring, Addition/Subtraction, EvenOdd/Greater/Less/Estimation, Puzzles/BrainTeasers/Soduko, etc. There are more but I can't remember.

Add in a component of writing in math -- an assignment that will make a minibook of some sort. For Time we do: The Times of My Life!
    And kids write a daily book of the times they do stuff, get up, eat, go to school, soccer practice, etc. For geometry it is: I Once Was a ___ But Now I'm a ___. They draw 3D shapes made into objects seen around town. It is always really a neat book.

Then add computer games. I have a whole selection on each topic.
    So you have 1. GAMES, 2. WRITING PROMPT, 3. COMPUTER GAMES,
    4. GRAPH A WEEK, 5. MATH BOOKS TO READ, 6. MANIPULATIVE TUBS, 7. FLASHCARDS W/PARTNERS.

Some things will be quick and easy, some will take whole week using some time per day, some are just fun. I work with low group while whole group activity is going on. Then I browse around facilitating games, computer programs, etc.

11. Youngteacher226

Sep 1, 2007

I like those ideas! My question is how do you begin the year doing this when they are really just doing basic review of 1st grade and they don't have the geometry, measurement etc. ideas under their belts yet so what activities do you put into your centers like starting in October?? I can see how by January, February the teacher would have tons of things/activites accumulated for the kids. I hope I'm making sense.

12. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 1, 2007

This week I introduce all the manipulative tubs and I put an activity with each one. For instance pattern blocks have those colorful pattern cards to recreate, or I have pattern block spinners and a bingo or little pictures of patterns that they extend (I just drew them, colored them, laminated) . Then there is same thing with color tiles tub, multilink cubes (a strip of colored cubes I've colored & laminated, they extend the pattern) so kids take tub, take a pattern and start. I bought sodoku (spelling?) this summer for multilink cubes so that was added to my 2nd multi link cube tub, then I had dominos, with some domino activities I've bought and found (just easy 2 side computation).
    So I have kids change seats when they are done or bored, not really in centers yet. (a child done can switch seats with a neighbor with another tub and those team mates help him learn it). I have not introduced the colored bears/dinosaurs tub but it goes well with attributes & I have some games too). Next I will put new tub on new group's table and rotate like that for the rest of the week.

Last step will be put the tubs around the corners of the room and add maybe 2 other things (graphing and math books at rug area and maybe a set of real easy 1-10 flashcards playing just a matching game or go fish). So kids have had experience and I've facilitated them learning all the tubs for a week and they know them all & are ready to be independent.

I'm doing a daily lesson too on patterns ABB ABC, ABBCD etc. and then attribute games and lessons on Venn Diagrams. I have other activities with attributes doing matrix with colored bears, and pattern blocks. We would do these on the rug together then add them into bears tub center. That is September centers right there.

Then October I'll start addition games. I'd keep most of the tubs and add a different game on top of each tub. Bears & dominos would have adding games. I'd put some dice games in one bin and some spinner games into another and some magnetic games on cookie sheets I try to add just maybe 3 new games but use same idea. Start with one bin/game on each table, then have them work it when they are done with seatwork. After you've moved all 5 bins around the 5 tables, you are ready to put them out, they've all practiced all 5 games. By November or when you start Time or Money, you will probably not have the manipulative tubs, but tubs of money and 4 other money games. You get the idea.

My problem is always having 1 child say, I'm bored! Or one child saying, I can't do it!" Your highest and lowest always need something! All games are not challenging for all kids and some struggle. The rest of the month or for 3 weeks, all games are out for all kids and they get to do this maybe 3 times a week so they should still have challenge. After September the flashcard bin is always put out and it has addition, then subtraction, I've got time & money flashcards, fraction flashcards. Invest in just this one bin this year and you won't be sorry. Kids love to do it with partners. They can show off!

Other days we might do timed tests, mountain math, writing in math strand or a regular test so centers might be closed then.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

Get the book Math Their Way - full of awesome information and ideas of hands on math learning. I think it is cheaper through their own site than Amazon. It is a great philosophy and lots of good activities.

14. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

Here's what I think I am going to do:
    One day a week I will have math tubs. I don't meet with groups, I just observe and work one-on-one at this time. I guess this is sort of like centers, but I do it like this:
    *No more than 4 kids to a table/tub
    *The kids can choose where they want to go to, but they can't start with the same activity each week. This is on the honor system, so for example if kid A chooses the pattern blocks one week, she can't go there first the next week. I want them to be able to choose, because I feel that kids naturally gravitate towards their own levels and interests. I will make them switch tubs at least once per session, but they can go to more places if they want.
    *I will have a parent volunteer teaching a math game (like chess, backgammon, etc.) to 3-4 kids per week during this tub time.
    *My tubs are: money, time, pattern blocks, wooden building blocks (small), geoboards, sorting, tracing numbers, one-to-one correspondence, math picture books, base-ten blocks, dominoes matching

Then all days of the week, my math lessons will look like this:
    *Whole group lesson (20 min)
    *Kids work alone on math journal/manipulatives related to lesson
    *I call 1 (maybe 2??) groups to work with me. I will either work on the lesson of the day, or if they are stuck on something else, I will focus on that.
    *When the kids are done, they can do their number scroll or practice flash cards.

Sorry, that was long! As a side note, how often/how do you check math journals (if you have them)? Do you actually check every page, or do you just glance at it? Do you make them fix mistakes?

15. Youngteacher226

Sep 1, 2007

I understand how to set up or manage math workstations, but my question is do you put all the activites out at the beginning of the year?? For example, if I only teach addition/subtraction in October, do I have money & time math tubs available then?? Or will there just be addition/subtraction math tubs out in October??
    I hope that question is clearer. I got all the other ideas fresh in my mind, I'm just stuck on what I should make available for the kids as the year goes on. So in other words, should I have a money activity available even though we don't do money until December??

16. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Oh! I plan on only putting things out that I'm working on at the time or have taught in the past as a review. For example, my first activities will be dealing with numeral recognition and making numbers in different ways since that is what I'm working on currently. My word problem will deal with calendar since we are working on that. This is going to be a lot of work for me this year since it is my first year doing it. I will be spending a lot of time preparing materials.

17. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I don't put out anything till we have started that topic. And most of the games would be on that topic for the most part. So patterns in Sept. Addition October, Subtraction November, Money December etc. Maybe you could keep one from each month for review. By March I have a variety of games and not so much on theme anymore, just favorites or review games.

Hey I love the idea of a math journal. Would you do that whole class with a problem of the day? How does it work?

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 2, 2007

Don't forget having fun with fractions!

19. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 2, 2007

oh yes, fractions are my favorite! Last year we did fraction snack. Parents sent boxes of crackers and stuff and so we would take 2 things each day (i.e. wheat thins and fish crackers) I'd give out 3 of one and 4 of another. Then we would ask "What is the fraction of fish crackers? 4 out of 7. Okay eat one fish cracker. What is the fraction of wheat thins? 3 out of 6. Okay eat one wheat thin. etc. etc. They LOVED it and boy did they know their fractions at year's end. he he:woot:

20. texas

texas New Member

Sep 2, 2007

Have you guys heard of Big Book of Math from Dinah Zike? I just got mine in the mail and can't wait to use it!

21. Youngteacher226

Sep 2, 2007

Thanks for your explaination!

I found this great math website on how to do math journals (or writing in math). It has tons of ideas, plus if you scroll all the way to the bottom, there are other websites to browse for ideas!
    http://www.mathwire.com/writing/writing1.html